Page:
AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
has any body got any advise about what u do when in these sircumstanses? wish to poi, have no poi, can't make or buy poi!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!------------------Kymic, Keep smiling :)

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
No excuse! Any old idiot (including me!) can make cheap Poi!Pop down the market. Cheap tennis balls and string or long socks don't cost much at all. If you want to make fire poi: cheap tea towels, bit of wire and chain, and bingo!I'm sure Poi can be made for 5 or 10 pounds, easy!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Rolled up socks on shoelaces are free to make and adequate to learn with, also they have the added bonus that they don't hurt you when it all goes wrong.Onelove Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
stuffed animals and string, its all it takes if youre really in a bind, hell, during fire drills at our school, you know the type were you just kinda stand around and wait to go back inside, me and my friend have taken off our outer shirts, and holding the sleeves together have spun those, you can do it with any long flexible item, very simple...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
nah, real animals on a string - give you an incentive not to smack them on the ground...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I find 2 cats with a long tails makes the perfect poi. got the 3 beat weave down and the butterfly... but be warned they get a bit heavy after awhile. And when u put them down make sure u run like hell[This message has been edited by Chakan (edited 20 November 2001).]

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
my cat would maul you long before you started the weave with him... as for running like hell, i cant out pace him on a bike!i made my first set (before i found this site) from two old sink plugs and some kite line! tennis balls and sash cord are the best for practicing i wreckon

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Could get a broomstick and learn staff. wink

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
get two guinae pigs, they are small..fluffy,you can attach string to their little tails and they squeak when you spin em...no no don't do that..just joking ...really guys..um,..yeah.

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
have you thought of trying vegetables?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Food in a bag works good smile

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Two cats with long tails, while adequate for poi training, are just PERFECT for those wanting to learn meteors.Go for it smile

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
2 scored Chicken breast fillets in plastic bags with 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, dash of tabasco, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, fresh chopped basil. Tie up bags (reinforce bags insie other bags). Tie string and spin.This way you can perfect your tricks and create a juicy marinated chicken dinner too.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I tried that ... so here is a note make sure there are no little holes in the bag... my wall now has racing stripes...ThanksBendy

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Chakan - I guess you should use Tupperware® next time!?Mentioned it before, how about doing that with multi-coloured paint in the bags or paint tins with holes - do some redecoration grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
good idea... I think a nice red and green will match the gravy stains.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Errr, guinea pigs don't have tails....On a lighter note, try squirrels!Keeps down rodent population and their tales act as...well....tails!I s'pose you could try the tennis ball technique - if you don't want to drill them just but them in a bag and tie this to the string - but seems a bit harsh on the poor ickle furry-wurry balls.Hmmm, how about drilling the cats? I use slipknots at the moment... Back in a tick

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Gosh - you know people were saying about paint in a bag...Try cats with holes in them...Smells a bit thoughMaybe the food would be a better idea, but I can't think of any soft-ish ones that wouldn't be messy if it went wrong - apples, potatoes and whole frozen turkeys would hurt, tomatoes would be short lived and grapes would be silly. I wonder about pizza?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks for all the advise guys!! Reading all those replies made me hungry. I think I'm just gonna eat instead of poi! tongue------------------Kymic, Keep smiling :)

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
my guinea pig Xanthus is very insulted that you think she has a tail and you could use her as one of a set of poi. instead she suggests she would make a very nice soft contact juggling ball, and you dont even have to bother trying to roll her around, she will just run up and down your arm on her own. and shed white fur all over you in the process.this conversation went something like:wheepwheepwheep wheeek wheep wheep wheeek weepwepwepwepweepPere

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And what did she say?Xanthus is a good name BTW

Meh

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well, i think she said "hey i would make a great contact juggling ball!"but it might also have been "hey give me more parsley!"(xanthus was the white talking horse of Apollo, btw)Pere

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I knew that already that's why i said it was a good name.I had some guinea pigs for a while but they mysteriously vanished one night and all they left behind was a big fat fox snoozing in the garden.Odd that...

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Cantus you really think your guinnea pigs left the fox? The fox was just a distraction I swear I saw some guinnea pigs running around in Derby!! Sorry they ran away though.Maybe you could put some missing posters up!!------------------Kymic, Keep smiling :)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I thought my gerbil had run away once but it turned out it had run up my arm, over my shoulder and gone to sleep in my hood! I was searching for it for hours and only found it when i sat down to watch tv and felt this little wriggling lump against the back of my neck. I was so scared i almost hurled the little bugger accross the room but thankfully recognized him in time!Ros xxxRos xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
*LOL*Ros the story had me and my mate abbe laughing!!Hope your gerble ok though.Was the gerble as scared as you?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Gueinea pigs make Ok practice poi, but their fur doesn't really hold enough kero for a long burn. I recomend long haired cats... but make shure that you knock them unconcious before you light them up 'cuz when they start squirming it tends to throw off your spin. rolleyes[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 16 December 2001).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yeah definitely cats.or perhaps small and annoying dogs, like wire-haired chihuahuas. maybe they would act sort of like steel wool sparkly poi?Pere

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Yeah!!!Like those over puffy poodles.I'd bet money those burn like magic. grin

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I think with the chihuahua you'd have to give it one of those annoying dog sweater things. Yeah! Just give it a sweater made out of kevlar.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
and of course, theres always the dog leash which makes the perfect chain....Pere

Page: