Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I and one other member of the troupe I'm in (We're up to 7 now) were helping out with my communities haunted hayride, doing poi with chem lites for the people in line. Now my partner was doing this one really cool move with me, when all of a sudden the total jerks started bad mouthing what we were doing, saying stuff like "Stop that gay stuff and learn how to dance right" and this really pissed me off. What is the best way to deal with jerks like that?Ashia

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
dont expose yourself to them.Or,ask them to demonstrate their non-gay dancing technique, and then ignore their show, when they get angry with you for not looking, say something like "Oh - *that* was your _dancing_ example? I thought you were [Insert derogatory comment about animal impersonations here]". This will piss them off, but at least you get your own back smileHehe smileJosh

Vikmember
21 posts

Posted:
smile sweetly and compliment them on their amazing vocab (*gay dancing*, i mean.. what the..?)It's always people in groups to say horrible things to entertainers- just people trying to gain negative power and the less you respond to them in their manner the quicker they'll get bored. good luck Vikk

vik... dreaming with 2 stars **

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I'm with vikk. Ignore them or give them a beaming smile and treat them with kindness and love. Retaliation is often tempting but by returning the negativity it just escalates, sometimes into violence. ppl who give you a hard time when you are performing are usually insecure or jealous that they can't do something as cool as you, so they try to put you down to make themselves look/feel good. If you ignore them or are kind to them it turns it around and they end up looking like an idiot harrassing the nice guy. I know from personal experience how hard it can be to bite your tongue and turn the other cheek, but this aproach has always worked for me.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 20 November 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yoI tend to thrust a burning staff and a big smile in their face and ask if they would like a go...Attrition leader 'the only constants are the speed of light and stupidity'Have fun winkNix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ahahaha, i likes Nix's way, thats bound to shut em upor you could hand them the poi, and ask them to try a couple of the moves, and seeing them, thinking poi is totally easy, make complete asses of themselves is quite enjoyable, ive actually done that quite a few times, and it was hilarious smile

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
oh, wait, thats what nix just siad isnt it? god, i cant read, i thought he was implying that he would ask them to fight, ok, im gonna shut up now:walks away to confuse ppl in another topic:

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
i was spinning on the beach the other day and some guy was all "i hate hippies"; and abusive , i really can't see the sence in people being this way...i just ignored him, but i have gotta say, i understand...doing soemthing different*and cool**heh heh and being yourself can really make some people insecure!!!...but i think there is more positive open minded cats out there then the ones who are just plain jealous and need to be rude as wellcass, i am with ya babes...we all just gotta keep being who we arepeace..hol

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
BURN THEM!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA*ahem*Or just ignore them....it's a crazy worldFUBAR------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i would deffo go with setting fire to the bast's.... let them entertain you for a bit!

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Either: ignore them and focus on the thought that if they tried to do what you do, they'd end up with less hair than Ghandi, or...If they mention "gay" then camp it up. No jock likes to be hit on, really. smiled.

Posh ravers wear ties.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Wiffle,both, heheheNix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498750)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Compliment them.It's my new fun trick. It will totally confuse them. Just give them a simple compliment "Dude, I like your shoes" or something. No sarcasm, just a genuine compliment. It's hysterical.In New York City, every so often a crazy or just angry person will say something silly. I either ignore them, or throw them a simple but genuine compliment. I've de-escalated many situations like that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
Most hecklers are just jelous. I keep an extra set for theese people - I get them alot. I ask them to give it a try, they usually wrap them around their neck trying to do some simple move. After they make fools of themselves in front of their friends (who they usually are trying to impress) they go away and leave me alone.

later - Smilee

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
<<<<>>>>These were guys, and I happen to be female, all though I'm sure that Aeris would have a load of fun hitting on them. And as far as them being jocks, these were guys that you look at and instantly think oh great, rappers and gangbangers. In fact on of them turned his personal radio up so that it was audible to all, and it was definitly what I and most of my friends term "Bootie Music" (Sorry to anybody that likes rap). I offered to let them try, but they had seen me hit myself on the arm with a wrap hard enough that there was an audible smack, and a bruise less than a minute later. (We had sme kids asking if it hurt, so I demenostrated, silly me) Any way, They eventually left so we didn't have to deal with them for more than an hour.AshiaAnd also, we were using glowsticks not fire. None of us with the exception of Dark maybe are ready to light up, not even me who is at the moment the best in the troupe after Dark[This message has been edited by Ashia BlackHawk (edited 21 November 2001).]

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ah so you meant they said gay, not because they meant it or you were actually homosexual, but rather as the general 'that's shit' meaning...I LOVED NYC's method, and intend to use it next time I get some abusive dickhead. Although, I dont tend to get those kinda problems very often.Josh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm tellin' you Josh, it's so much fun. Make it as genuine as possible and NOT sarcastic at all. It WILL totally confuse them.One of those jerks with the "manly" tricked out cars tried to cut me off a few days ago but I wouldn't let him so he screamed "F*CK YOU!" I screamed back "Dude, those rims are sweet!" referring to his tricked out hubcaps (which were sweet). A full 30 seconds went by (we were stopped at a light) and he sat in silence before sheepishly saying "Thanks"...I laughed for hours...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
lol!! I love it NYC smileI gotta give you points for maitaining a genuine compliment... I wouldn't be able to contain my contempt, so they'd think/know I was being concieted.can't hide anything on this face...goddammit! makes being mysterious real tricky sometimes. winkedit: i before e except after c... the above word should read conceited not concieted... you'd think I'd know how to spell it properly, as I indulge in it so frequently![This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 21 November 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Quote;"can't hide anything on this face...goddammit! makes being mysterious real tricky sometimes."at least...thats what you'd have us all believe huh Flash? winkJosh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
NYC - I agree with your method, and use it a lot when asked for money on the street (usually dodgy collectors etc). When they approach me and ask if I can donate etc, I just smile broadly and say "thank you" in my cheeriest, happiest voice and keep walking. Confuses the hell out 'em. Great fun.ade

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I used to have that problem with beggers who haress you for money and stuff when I was living in a small town. They used to follow you for streets and harass the hell outta you until you give them money to go away. So I finally got fed up and when the next group came to harass me I would run up to them and ask them for thier money "Could you spare me a few cents or something?" they all stopped at once looked at me with the most confused faces and just walked off ... never got bothered again :-)

Evilsunmember
15 posts

Posted:
Heh this happens to me all the time, when I'm about to start blowing, usually drunken scum who think they're hard, as soon as I start up tho they're like little boys, standing with their mouths agape, going "wow"It makes me laugh so much smileAnother great trick for hecklers, is to take a swig of water instead of paraffin and pretend like you're gonna blow over them and just spit wate instead grin They run like hell, lol!Have had a bottle thrown at me tho frownEvilsun

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
I have to say if I've been spinning fire most people are quite amazed, I have never spun my zuni's in a public place usually only play with them in the garden. But if someone was really being an agressive tosser without any real reason I may have to introduce thier nose to my beaming poi!! smileI know it sounds a little harsh but some people can only accept a slap as a way of being put in thier place.

C'mon baby light my fire

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I perform with my girlfriend and have had loads of pissed up wankers letching and shouting obsenity's. Only once was I wound up enough (after a particularly bad day) to retaliate with a fire poi and smacked him in the side of the head. At first this felt great but then I realised that I must find a different approach as they are not all smaller than me, plus most of them have mates and that's not good either.I have found that pretending you didn't hear them and getting really close to say "pardon works well - people really don't like fire in their face. Adopt the role of an unstable learner and drop it close to them, this always gets rid of them by about the third time! them a great big smile and nod or shaking the excess off in their direction is pretty good. I even tried NYC's compliment the other night while practicing and he's not wrong.