Forums > Social Chat > wow, fire breathing really IS dangerous

Login/Join to Participate

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
so i've been breathing fire for the last nine months. i've never understood why it was anything special or scary. i mean, it's easy as snot to do and i've never had any kind of blowback or close calls or anything. well, a week ago, i was busking with my lovely compatriots and decided to do three seperate fire breaths on a single mouthful of fuel. it felt fine, but as soon as i was done, i started coughing and realized i'd breathed some liquid fuel into my lungs. well, over the last week, my symptoms have been less than pleasant. migrane headaches, body pain, shortness of breath, inability to inhale fully without pain, loss of appetite, insomnia, fever, chills, fatigue, weakness, etc etc. basically, i felt like so much dirt. only now, over a week later, have they receded and i'm left only with the cough. now, i'm not looking for sympathy or commiseration, but i wanted to warn people of the incredibly unpleasant way your body feels when dealing with kero poisoning. i recommend one or maybe two breaths per mouthful. be careful out there, kids.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
i hope that cough leaves soon bro.kero poisoning isn't nice...i think fire breathing is ace and absolutely beautiful but i am told by a very knowlegable lady that used to breathe herself that fire breathing will take years from your life, ...be well Dangerboy.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I think he forgot to mention that "irritability" was one of the symptoms.j/k wink smilewe love having Dangerboy here in Sydney...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
yeah, after seeing it, i think if i was to ever want to fire breath (and thats a no for the moment) id look into biodiesel for sure as a fuel.....

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
eep. best wishes for speedy healing.i'm just starting the learning process for breathing. what i'm doing is practicing technique with water and then testing progress with grain alcohol. (either bacardi 151 or everclear) i only do 1, maybe 2 test blows...after that i call it quits for the evening on breath practice, and move on to unlit staff. i probably won't leave alcohol until i can 1: get it right every time for about a month solid, and 2: feel perfectly confident with my ability. this stuff takes skill and guts, i'll give it that.------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

Ommember
4 posts

Posted:
Caught some of the same symptoms from fire breathing with parafin. They came after a night of many very pretty blasts. Doctors said it was pneumonia. Chest pains and shortness of breath were the worse of it. First week of it was hell, after that it tapered off with that random cough. I'll only do a couple blasts once and a while now. Good to remember a limit when you're doing a lot of shows in one day.Get better soon dangerboy.Good journeys ------------------Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Komismember
6 posts

Posted:
My roomate is now experiencing the symptoms Dangerboy described after very avid spitting in the past week. I've had a few symptoms, after swallowing a bit. I can't say its very kind, or something to take lightly. We've decided to spit rarely, and use water in between. Your health isn't something to take for granted.

JyriTmember
10 posts

Posted:
Om, I got hangover like feeling on next day when I was blowing fire using paraffin.I think I can hande with that but not more than 2 times per month maybe less but seriously IT LOOK&FEELS SO GOOD that I can't be whithout it.. wink Must do some research with fuels that isn't so dangerous.. -- Jyri

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
DB...I am sorry for your injury. To let you know I don't think you only suffered Kero poisoning, the cough and breathing issues make it sound like you burned you lungs (Chem Burn). I have done it before on bleach fumes to the exact same effect. The cough lingers awhile (I had it for three weeks). Just make sure you have your full breathing capacity back, if not go to the Dr. If you know any breathing exercises, like from singing or martial arts, they are a good idea to do a few times each day as well. Now, may I ask, did you practice this first? I truly think it makes all the difference in the world.For everyone, I read through this thread a couple times and I really think you are missing the point. The focus should not be on the fuel. It wasn't the fuel!!!!! If you inhale pretty much any fire breathing liquid into your lungs you'd get the same results!Even Biodeisel may be good to swallow but not to breathe in, and the Chem Burns from alcohol are just as deadly. The point is that Firebreathing is dangerous, and to do it safely and well involves lots of practice and research.Tiene, alcohol is more dangerous to breathe with than Kero or Lamp Oil. You stand more of a chance of injury and blowback. If you really must test with a mild fuel then try cooking oil.From the number of posts empathizing it seems that many people aren't doing their homework. I have only been mildly ill with this once because I had to cough when the fuel was in my mouth and I swallowed some (not inhaled). What you are talking about is far more severe. DangerBoy knows what his mistake was, but do the rest of you? I suggest you take this wake up call and re-evaluate your technique. You shouldn't even have a hung over feeling when you are done. Nothing but cotton mouth and a bad after taste should be left.I apologise if I sound crisp or curt about this but I am very passionate about my firebreathing and I take safety very seriously. When I see so many in agreement but not really caring for their well being, and when I know there are so many out there who will read this thread without regard and won't heed sage advice/comments from a wonderful person and knowledgable performer about injury (DB), I get a little irritated.Much love and health to all, especially you DB...you know I adore you!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
Pele- point taken. i'm aware of the dangers of blowback and temperature with alcohol...that's why i'm using water most of the time. breathing is serious stuff. i want to get technique perfected (with H2O) before i try anything major....main reason i'm focusing on staff for now. good advice though. my apologies if i sounded like i wasn't taking it.------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
Live and learn, um just dont get burned =]

Evilsunmember
15 posts

Posted:
A valuable lesson in respect DB!Number 1 Rule: Do not over do it but you know that now right winkI haven't been hurt through blowing... yet... and that is the attitude to take IMHO, always be wary it is indeed a dangerous thing to do... in many ways.I hope that this serves as a valuable warning for anyone who is contemplating 'dabbling' with fire, cos then DB's symptoms won't have been in vain smileHope you feel better soon DB.Evilsun

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Reading this thread makes me think about a friend of a friend who told me this week that one night he spent up 10 gallons of lamp oil in one night breathing and spinning poi. He says he did 273 blows. sheesh...limits people..------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
I dunno, Pele... sounds like DB might have chemical pneumonia from aspirating fuel rather than singed lung tissue.Either way, you can't be too careful with fire breathing.As teachers, our advice to students who ask about fire breathing is 'don't'. Very few of us in The Cabiri actually breathe fire, and we don't use it much in our performances... doing it too often decreases the dramatic effect anyway. Not only that, but it's not permitted by the Fire Dept. here in Seattle to do fire breathing indoors, which limits our venues for it.OK, enough rambling... be safe, kids.~*Charly*~www.cabiri.orgwww.anunnaki.orgwww.maenads.org

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And you were trying to make me take this up Christ?It sounds a bit bloody lethal to me....

Meh

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
thanks for the well wishes all. and thanks pele for that extremely intelligent (as always) post. oooo, if only you were a boy! anyways, just to update you all, it's just past week two. i've been coughing up demons that have probably been in the bottom of my lungs since day1. not pleasant. i am feeling relatively perky today, but don;t really trust it, as i have been decieved before in the last little while. i don;t think i had fire blowback tho', just fuel. fire would have done me over way worse. from what i;ve heard, singed lungs aren't a lot of fun. the western doctor was not a lot of help (i'll get better when i do), but i've been eating as much fruit and veggies as possible and drinking ginger tea and having baths and all that good stuff. finally seems to be paying off. in the back of my mind, i was worried this was going to be some sort of lifelong chronic thing. ah well.i don't think this will stop me from fire breathing again (there is over 50% danger in dangerboy after all), but i'm going to be so much more careful. careful and dangerous. yeah, whatever.love to all, and be safe.db------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit