• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Maybe it's a dumb question but as a firespinning nonsmoker I'm a bit naive about lighters. I've been using disposable ones that I find/borrow but in wind they suck as you all know... It's embarrasing to have four or five people huddled around a poi trying to block the wind and get lamp oil to light.Can anyone recommend a lighter? Are Zippos really worth the price? What about those crazy ones that look like a fighter jet engine? (Can you see my inexperience!)Just wondering...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete Topic

Knagi

Total posts: 397
Posted:Lighter = a small explodeable container of fuel strapped closely to your leg.. I normally have a zippo on me or give my disposiable lighter away to whoever's gonna be there the longest and always turn to him. Are zippo's as bad as the disposable lighters? Could they still blow off a leg or just cause a larger flame?Also I came up with a neat trick for lighting wicks on super windy days. We had 2 paint cans so one of them was turned into a giant candle. Just left alittle bit of kero in the bottem and acouple of wicks and it burned and lit everything for about 3 or 4 hours strait. Keep in mind this only works if it is really to windy to light off a lighter because the paint can doesn't feed the flame enough air and it get's smoothered quickly without a strong wind over the top of it.Also lighters seem to have a problem when kero gets dripped on them. I've found that you can prime the wick with alittle white gas to get it going again. Zippo's only of course.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Delete

Pele'sWhippingBoy

Total posts: 442
Posted:We use butanes (the jet-like ones) and they work really well. It's a pity that I lost our good one. [image]http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif">------------------[/image]Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Total posts: 1015
Posted:I was given a Colibri as a gift from a friend (I joke I am the non-smoker with the world's nicest lighter). These things are like miniature blowtorches, very nicely made. I have no idea the cost, but they can't be cheap. They are *completely* windproof.Better than a lighter, if you are up for a little extra schlepping, is a globe-shaped outdoor torch. Functionally similar to a tiki-torch, but about the same size and shape as a bowling ball (they're weighted, and have a flat on the bottom, so no, they don't roll). These are windproof, but more importantly, they're really convenient. Put a few ounces of fuel in it and it'll go for hours. You and all your fire-friends can light off it without anyone fumbling for a lighter.Especially handy for fire-eaters.Go to Walmart or Target and check out the garden section. About $12.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Delete

rex

rex

Total posts: 263
Posted:Colibris go for $60-$175 around here... must be a pretty good friend adam
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:Well, as Whipping Boy said, we use Butaine. Love it. It doesn't go out for anything and is easy to refill. Zippo's are good but blow out in the wind and aren't as easy as Butaines to refuel.Disposables are shit.FOr my stage show, which is outdoors and has lasted through wind and rain I have used an oil lamp. My friend made it for me. A glass jar, a ceramic stopper and some Kevlar wicking (no shit), fill with lamp oil so that the wick soaks it up, light and it will keep going until you blow it out. Empty lamp oil back into jug pack it up and carry it away. Just remember to trip it up a little so it doesn't burn low and you get rid of the frays.Love to ya!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:Just bought a lighter today, asked for a butane lighter and the lady wasn't sure what I meant - she said "This one has an invisible flame, is that what you are after?"It was.Pretty nice and only $12.50 (US$6.50)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Scoot

Total posts: 28
Posted:I think it would look really cool if you used a metal match. If anyone here doesnt know what that is, its just a magnesium (spelling) strip with a flint, and since you have the fuel on it, you dont need to scrape off the magnesium, you will just have to use the flint. A teacher in one of my classes showed us how to use it, and it looked really cool, cause it made whole mess of bright sparks that could start your fire poi.

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:I prefer to use a zippo, but thats because I can do a few tricks with it to get it lit.I don't know any you can do with disposable or butane lighters, so I don't find them as much fun
Non-Https Image Link
------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:you could start smoking so that you know more about lighters ?
Non-Https Image Link
just my two francs ...Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:not sure you should be encouraging smoking but heck, never mind.Are the blow-torch-esque lighters readily available in the UK? A couple of friends have them but bought them abroard.And Zippo tricks rule!!------------------http://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Posted:eeer... Durbs... it was actually a joke... or at least an attempted one. sorry you took it seriously.Cassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 19 November 2001).]

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:I use a candle. Light the candle put it somewhere out of the wind. Use it to light stuff off.Seems simple to me.Oh and get a good thick candle. As they are less likely to fall over.------------------C@ntusDance beneath the stars, we sound system, we the collective, with a open heart, we the solution - should be respected!

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Posted:NYC, I changed my mind, don't start smoking ... I am going to quit
Non-Https Image Link
Shine onCassandra

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Oh yes? (Looks in disbelief)Right after I learn French right?
Non-Https Image Link
Thanks for all of the info kids, looks like I'm gonna go looking for a nice butane lighter... Unless I see a Zippo just too cool to pass up...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Posted:LOLoui monsieur !
Non-Https Image Link
Shine onCassandra

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:There are some rather powerful lighters here:Super ScorcherMicro LighterThough I am not sure if kevlar would be able to withstand 1300C temperatures!------------------Courage is the man who can stop after just one peanut

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Ronopotamus
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

Ronopotamus

addict

Total posts: 412
Posted:I first lit my poi the other day, and I used an outdoor candle. These extra large ones on a stick that you can put into the ground (like a stick of incense, but it's a candle).Put it outside and it didn't blow out...I don't remember it being especially windy on the day...but maybe give it a try...kolong------------------Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:I see you caught Josh's echo....Hey I know!!! How about using a candle!!!! *wonders if anybody actually reads his posts or simply dismisses things he says as a piss take without even bothering to read them....*

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted::glossing over c@antus's post as it's probably just another joke about something:Hey Kolong! That's a great idea. Use a candle.I wonder why no-one else has brought it up during this thread???
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttp://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:As long as you manage to get a healthy balanced diet wiht plenty of iron and calcium you should be fine.

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:Who's this C@antus of whom you speak Charles? A pretender to throne?Someone after the Fraggle family fortune?Well bad luck fella. There ain't one!

Delete