Forums > Social Chat > Firebreathing. White vs. Lamp

Login/Join to Participate

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Ok I've heard acouple ppl now say they use white gas for breathing... What are the differances compared to lamp oil other then one having the high chance of blowing up in your face and leaving a nice puddle of fire at your feet.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I think you may find the answer to this if you search the Technical section for Fire Breathing.I think the volitility is the main difference between the two. That being said, if done successfully I'll bet that the white would make a larger flash but less chance of a tower. I'm speculating here though.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am not sure who has said to use white as a breathing fuel. That is a no-no-no-no!!!!! shockedThat whole flaming fume causing a blowback, volitility, more toxic than lamp oil, wretched taste, easier to get burned with it thing comes into play here when thinking about it.However, white gas *is* used for eating and trailing while lamp oil is used for breathing...could this be the confusion?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I only use whitegas for trailing and eating. I have used it MIXED with lamp oil to spice it up for poi.I DON'T like it for anything else, especially pure on poi...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Pele your not gonna belive this one but I know of 4 breathers now who swear by white gas and I'm tryin to figure out why.Heheh nyc we did that once in a fuel crisis. That poor dude only been spinning lit wicks for a month and missing the point of not hitting yourself period! Dude your on fire was chanted for the duration of his burn.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Please don't use white gas for fire breathing Knagi ... it's a sure way to land yourself in a hospital bed.Ðraevon.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Since we're talking fuels, could some of you Kero faithfulls give me two good reasons why Kero doesn't completely suck compared with lamp oil? I know that the eating trick where you light your breath is easier with kero because of vapor pressure is higher but aside from that, doesn't it suck for poi/staff?Just wondering...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

hyPeR_DeRMiCmember
5 posts

Posted:
Kero vs. lamp oil......ok, my main reason fer using Kero is price...We have Kero on tap in my hood' (a local gas station has a kero pump) and at 1.50$ a gallon its much more cost effective than lamp oil (around 3$ a gallon right?) and since its a gas station i can get it 24/7 so when we run out of gas at 3AM its just a short ride away... hurray for Hess![hyper]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First of all, you have it backwards NYC...the Dragon Breath stunt is easier with white gas because of the vapor, if that is the one you are talking about.Knagi, they would swear by it because it is so flammable you can not miss with it. You breathe with White Gas anywhere near a fire and you will get results, with no practice. However, this shows me not only a complete lack of concern for themselves, but also for the well being of others as well as true incompetency for what they are doing and they display an inherent laziness. There are those who are out for the quick fix with as little work as possible, these people would be prime examples. Then there are those who work, practice, research and manage to get the same results with greater safety for all. These are the ones who get jobs long after the lazy ones are in a hospital bed. Not only will they suffer burns, but they will also suffer from the extreme harshness of the chemicals, long before we will. In the end it is their choice, as it is for any of us, but I wouldn't be near them when they do it.NYC...back to you...Kero and Lamp Oil are essentially the same thing if you think about it. One is for storm heaters and lamp, the other is for hurricane lamps. Both emit a similar amount of smoke and residue. With a 5 minute soak, both light slowly, they both smell when burning and both burn for about the same length of time. Kero is cheaper by the gallon than lamp oil, lamp oil tastes better than Kero (but they both aspirate exactly the same...I started on Kero and went to Lamp Oil).Sometimes what I use is what is available, occassionally it can be hard to find Kero. I am not a huge environmentalist (after all I pollute as a form of entertainment) but I like that I can keep refilling my Kero container without all the extra bottles to clean up and throw away.Between the two it really comes down to personal preference, which you find is easier. I think your jaded and reluctant approach to Kero is psychosomatic and that you are repressing a bad Kero incedent in your past NYC! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Props for the info pele.I'm a kero buff. We use an unbelivable amount of fuel. So if we used lamp oil it costs us about 40 to 50 bucks for one or two burn sessions.Me Breath white gas? That shit gives me nightmares I never even pull it out unless I'm planning on trailing.