[polloption=steel rings (large enough to fit more then one finger in)]

[polloption=balls]

[polloption=no handles]

[pollstop]

EDITED_BY: Astar (1069544051)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
mad Why have buttons for polls if they dont work?

Bah, What poi handles do you prefer?

PS-Yes I realize other threads on this exist, but I was hopeing to use the fancy pants new poll feature, THAT DOESNT WORK.
EDITED_BY: Astar (1069544239)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeer. depends.

on my socks: nothing
fire poi: single loop leather, held on pinky, then between thumb and forefinger
baby double meteors... same weight both ends(ballistic juggling balls)

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Steel rings (rather big ones) I find the counter-weight gives the poi all kinds of wacky meteor like properties.

I even take them off my chains and tie my sock poi onto them.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
You didn't list mine.. I use handles.. for instance, on my glowsticks I have a 6 inch glowstick cut in half.. I like having more control over the position of my pivots..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i have double loops...it feels like i have a bit more control over the poi! i've used a friend's poi and she has a single (but slightly larger) loop...i always feel like i'm gonna suddenly lose my grip!!

i once saw the poi head actually fly off once!! a friend was spinning my poi waaay too fast and somehow the head unhooked itself, flew across the ground a few metres and hit another friend in the shin! freaky stuff...

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Sorry about the poll thing, it's on my list of bugs to look at.

For now I suggest you dig up some of the old threads.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Throws in his 2 cents worth
I prefer double nylon loops, however now that the weather is getting colder, and my fingertips are getting numb when I spin outdoors, I am seriously considering making up a set of double leather loops that lock onto my fingers,,,,If I can only figure hot how........ weavesmiley

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
i use single loops too, and often with an open hand style that does look like it should fly off, yet doesn't. I find it helps me find the ideal position for my hand for a given move, which also aids flow.
Also the hippies around here sometimes call nylon handles vegetarian because they think of it as an alternative to leather where cows don't have to die. Guess so.
My handles are bound with a single stud button so they actually clip together for storage.
i was thinking about glowstick poi the other ay and thought that thick heavy elastic would work for a handle because it's easy on the skin and would hold on to my finger, leaving me free to concentrate on hand movement and not worry about holding on, which is what I prefer.
Did anyone else start off with tenniballs and shoelaces and lose all their finger skin and have to rotate fingers to the newly healed one? redface

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Throws in his 2 cents worth
I prefer double nylon loops, however now that the weather is getting colder, and my fingertips are getting numb when I spin outdoors, I am seriously considering making up a set of double leather loops that lock onto my fingers,,,,If I can only figure hot how........ weavesmiley

Go to Adam Rice's site. https://www.fire-gear.com
I believe is the url. He offers some very nice self snugging elk hide or leather/elk laminate handles. It's what I use, and they are very comfy!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Thanks Big Andy...the website isn't working properly right now but I'll be after them with visa card in hand as soon as it is. I sent one of my poi flying against the neighbours house today,,,I really need those grips. peace

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
None of the above, knot handles are the best. biggrin

i like to let go of my poi. cant stand double loops, controle is illusiory, try key grip.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Knot handles, nice . Ive been getting into letting go of the poi in some of my routines lately as well but have always encountered problems with handle designs, knot handles sound perfect for that. Problem solved. weavesmiley
Cheers Nx

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I have some rope poi with knots for practise. I made heads of a piece of tied cloth filed with cotton wool as I was learning the reverse 5 beat weave and knew I would hit myself. I did so about 200 times before I got it down. spank

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I use some double finger-loops. I've tried the single rings, single finger loeps etc. and it just doesn't feel right. My loops are made from the straps you can get as chest straps for backpacks - Nice and strong and they're really soft after many hours of use smile

Cake or Death?

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Did anyone else start off with tenniballs and shoelaces and lose all their finger skin and have to rotate fingers to the newly healed one? redface

that so happens to me, as i still use tennis balls and laces!! (the best), and the laces just rotate around and knaker ur fingers up, and then unless u wanna spin in pain u have to wait to heal!! booo!

I use single finger loops, i think that they are the best... but i suppose that i havent really given double loops a chance!!

ciao

Frodo xx

passing through, this world still lives.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
My next step after the shoelaces was to make a loop out of the bit that I cut off my trousers when I shortened them. Cost: nil and easier on the fingers, disposable when it goes all ratty. Nice feel for a while.
most people seem to be either single or double loop lovers. Now that I think about it, the only people I know who often use both are also good at staff. umm weavesmiley

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
Yeah, count me down for doubble loopdom. Hummm...
I think I will go straight to learing Staff, and skip the single loop. No hard feelings, boys! wink

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thats why I like my handles.. a little grip tape and your fine... (and not skateboard grip tape unless you really need grip :P)

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I prefer double loops, you can really stretch your fingers out and the friction keeps them nice and safe, they're especially usefull for one handed stuff. Although I'm trying to learn throws and can't decide what best...tips anyone?
One thing I can't stand tho is those sand filled poi you wrap around your hand...eugh....they feel like you're losing your flexibility and are SO heavy

Let's relight this forum ubblove

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Que? sand filled poi that you wrap around your hands?

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was spinning in Bristol in the summer and someone came up who had just starte learning with their friends poi, they were long bags that start off thin and get wider and the end, were filled with sand (or some similar material) and you wrapped them around your hand and they exited between your index finger and thumb. If you watch 24 Hour Party People (film bout the hacienda nighclub and Tony Wilson starring Steve Coogan) there's a clip of the club with a guy spinning and I think he has the same ones.
Basically they were shite to use so you're not missing anything!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
1. Yes the shoelaces blister nicely. I found that sports tape works well for that though. Even though it will make the shoe laces sticky, saved my fingers. I have to say however, if you let it go...you will develop spinning callouses so you don't have to worry about it. I have them on the outside of each of my index fingers.

2. If you have a single loop and would prefer a double loop or finger noose, you don't need to buy one. Take your single loop and place it over your index and middle finger with the poi string aiming over your palm at your body. Take the string and run it back between your middle and index finger. This should fold the handle end through as well forming two loops, one around the middle finger, one around the index. It tightens down while spinning very well but is really easy to get out of if something goes wrong.

3. I have had the same set of deerhide and sinew single loops that I made 5 years ago. They have fallen into the fuel bucket, been stomped into the mud, shipped back to me when they were lost and have in general taken one hell of a beating over time...yet they are as strong as ever and are my favorite set, far over any of the nylon variations I have. I wear them around my index and ring finger with the middle finger dropped out. This is a very secure hold. I have alot of control but am able to slide easily in and out of them depending on varying tricks. If I relied on having to have ball handles or certain handles for certain tricks then my repetoire when it came time to spin would be limited. Instead, I just worked until I could do all I wanted with these handles.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Hello! hi.

I just picked up some Cock-rings to use as handles thinking they'll be easy to spot and catch for learning throws. Ouchy in the face but think it'll work eventually?

Favorite is same as FireGeek's, double loop use-softened backpack straps. I sew it around a good welded D-ring attached to quicklink.

I AM working.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
none i have my own custom set of string:)) its a set of knots that prevent anothe rknot from unntying and flying off my finger and the knot itsle fis a loose knot thats really tight lol
i let the poi fall then greap the string with my indeex and middle finger( with my palm facing up) and then wrap the string around my indx and middle finger to eventually bring it back under and tighten the knot on last joint of my index:)) seem complicated but quite simple and the string cant fly away+ morte control cus extra loop makes blcok the string from flying all over so i dont ahve to hold anything,, my fingers can guide and no need to hold the poi

it must be green