Forums > Social Chat > Feelings in our dreams?

Login/Join to Participate

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Tell me if I'm all alone on this one, but does anybody else experience strong feelings/emotions when they dream? Most of the time when I dream its just blurry and nothing goes on, but sometimes I have these dreams that are incredibly strong emotionally, I feel overwhelmed almost. Alot of times it with bad dreams, strong feeling of dread or hopelessness. Though last night was different, there was this hug in my dream that caused the best feeling ever, it was like the ultimate true love hug that made the world stop and everything seem ok. Yeah, that kind. Definitly made for a a very good dream.

It seems odd, but I feel stronger emotions in my dreams that in real life. is this freakish?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Tell me if I'm all alone on this one, but does anybody else experience strong feelings/emotions when they dream? ....
It seems odd, but I feel stronger emotions in my dreams that in real life. is this freakish?

You're not alone in that, many of the most intense and memorable experiences in my life happened in dreams.

I've met beings in dreams who seemed more real than people in reality, beings who I felt were intelligent/conscious not because of the way they behaved or the things they said, but because I could feel their personality literally radiating from them.

In vivid dreams I've levitated, time travelled and visited realms that are not in this world.

Such intense dreams are relatively rare for me, but the feelings from them persist for days, and the memories, forever.

As to whether you're a freak because of it; quite possibly!

But I wouldn't worry about it, there's a lot of us about. smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i don't remember my dreams ubbcrying

so i go to sleep. and wake up pretty much straight away....

occasionally if i am woken and go back to a (light)sleep i dream...but they fade within a few hours at best..

anyone else?

i guess it means i have to live my waking life a little more vividly wink

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
actually there are ways to remember your dreams if you ever wanted to.

i have very vivid dreams as well as night terrors. i wake up not sure what is real and what is the dream. it takes me quite some time to get back to normal. frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I experience the same thing quite often. I only dream when im in a weird light sleep (I don't think it's REM sleep) most of the time, but when I do dream (and remember it) while in deep sleep it's always very emotional, although I wouldn't consider them bad dreams most of the time.

The light sleep-semi-daydreaming type dreams suck, they actually tire me out more sometimes then being fully awake. It's not like my mind is resting but constantly working on something.
EDITED_BY: Astar (1069542581)

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, I'll accept my freakish nature smile

And for remembering dreams, try sleeping on your stomach, I'm like 99.999% when I sleep on my stomach, don't know the science behind it but it works for me. Which people say thats the worst position to sleep in, and I used to aggree, but now its the only way I'm comfortable. I always move to my stomach, its the like ultimate rest position.

And yeah, I've had some amazing dreams, even one spoken completely in german (which I can't speak). It felt right, which was kind of cool. I've been other people in my dreams as well.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
I hate it when i dream.. I keep getting chased around by this crazy bastard in a red and black stripped shirt and a glove on his right hand with razor sharp steel claws..

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
mmmmm.....as a kid i had an annoying(for my sister..) habit of dreams n reality being mixed up ,so i'd tell people stuff that happened in dreams asif it really happened...nowadays i get flashbacks,i can be doing something mundane(or not)and i'm reminded of a dream,like deja vu.Sometimes i meet people in dreams and when i wake up my whole perception of that person has changed wink
on the subject of not rememberin dreams,if i smoke certain herbs i have no dream recall for that nite....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I couldn't quantify how vivid my dream(astral) experiences are.
you know whot? i couldn't honestly guage how many dreams i have in the first place. That land is such a subjective place that i can't be too sure of most things there. Whch explains why one person's dream images do not necessarily mean the same thing to another person.
i wouldn't even know where to begin.
but i do know that a lot of the time i wake up dissappointed that my adventure comes to an end i gotta go to work!
booooo!
:sulks for no reason:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I nearly always remember my dreams, and they are nearly always the most vivid and amazing experiences ive ever had, they give me my best ideas for my writing.

I had a dream once that i had the most perfect kiss ever and that feeling stayed with me for days. I guess im lucky as that happens often with me! I must be receptive to dreams biggrin

Oh yeah, and the light semi-asleep dreaming is called Lucid Dreaming, when you feel you can sort of control your dreams, and then wake up at the really good bit mad

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i know that i feel in dreams but cant always remember what teh dream was about or what the feelings were, i do know that i very rarely have bad dreams so the feelings are probably good ones.

although i only remember the bad feeling cos the scare me so much and i dont normally feel that way. i remember being woken up cos i felt like i couldnt breathe, my mum woke the same day feeling like that (weird!) oh and my most vivid one is from when i was about 13 and i dreamt that i was pregnant, and most of the dream envoled me thinking of ways i could tell my parents.. i woke up crying and it took about ten minutes for me to snap out of it. the only way i managed to calm myself was to realise there was no way i could be pregnant - unless i was the virgin mary!!ubblol

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the not-breathing sensation, if followed by a fierce shaking sensastion is what i percieve to be the initial stages to astral projection via being conscious as you transition from psycial awakeness to sleep.
ohhhh it scares me soooo.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
whaa?????? confused

like the lil dancing dude by the way biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
For real though.. when i was very young i nearly drowned in an undertow.. Luckily i was saved by my uncle Kevin.. Every now and then i have this dream where Im in very shallow water and the under tow is spinning me round and round just below the surface... the bad part is that i really stop breathing in my sleep making the dream more real.. after i can hold my breath no longer I start to breath underwater and i relize that its a dream and wake up... werd

PS.. sorry if that didnt make alot of sense.. im really loaded right now hehe ubbrollsmile

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm the kind to have vivid dreams, and then forget them, within minutes or hours. There's a rare few that I do remember.

But something I have remembered recently: I dream with no sound. Someone was talking to me about how they dreamed in another language, and I can't remember any sound in any of my dreams. Thoughts yes, but no sound! Odd...

The dreams that I do remember are the ones with the most amount of emotion in them: feeling lost, feeling alone, feeling loved. Yep, I definately agree, almost more emotion being felt in my dreams.

I'd try to explain it, but I won't... O.o' I don't really honestly know if I can.

And I've never had a bad dream and remembered it. Like, you hear all these stories about people and how they dream about waking up in class in naked or something like that, but I've never had a dream like that, or one that really scares me.

Recently, though, I did have a dream, and it was really happy, and I felt really good, and loved, and in love, and when I woke up, I felt good... For about thirty seconds, intil I realized that I was atually alone. I can still remember that dream, and every time I do, I feel lonely. It's like it pokes fun at my reality! ubbcrying Stuuupid dreams! *shakes fist*

Buuut, thankfully, I don't have to put up with remembering them too much ^_^

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A really effective way to remember your dreams is, to have pen and paper next to your bed and, on waking, write down immediately anything you remember.

You have to do it straight away, even if it's 3.00 am, a delay of seconds is enough for the memory to fade.

Use keywords rather than full english, otherwise it'll take ages and you won't continue it.

It's amazing how having a few key words written down will jog your memory in the morning.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
i like sex dreams biggrin

i dont have nearly enough though frown

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Cool! I love the feelings I have in my dreams. In addition to some crazy flying action, past life experiences and frequent lucid dreaming, I sometimes get so angry and upset in my dreams. I feel like Homer - I can't live without rage-ahol. wink

I had a dream many years ago that my mother (who I was estranged from at the time) cursed me and when I died she wrote a book about what a horrible person I was. I woke up and cried for about half an hour. That truly was my subconscious processing some real life pain and was cathartic, as is all emotive dreaming.

PS - Hi Bender!! 2 more sleeps, 2 more sleeps!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i definately experience vidid feelings. sometimes i wake up really distraught from feelings in my dreams

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've woken up screaming. It's awful. But I've never had such a strong positive emotion in a dream.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
The ones I remember are the one that come true. They scare me sometimes, they really do. What if I could save a life but didn't belive it or didn't get there in time?

on a lighter note: shadow steppin, I find I don't dream about sex as much now that I'm actually getting it.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Though last night was different, there was this hug in my dream that caused the best feeling ever, it was like the ultimate true love hug that made the world stop and everything seem ok. Yeah, that kind. Definitly made for a a very good dream.

Dare we ask who it was with?

I share some of the experiences. Mainly that feeling that "Oscar" says so well in Armaegeddon "I'm either 98% excited or 2% scared or 2% excited and 98% scared that's what makes it so intense"

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I honestly don't know who it was, he just walked into my room talking like he knew me and like he was supposed to be there. I can't remember what he was even saying, but he just stopped and hugged me.

This past week or so I've remembered all my dreams, its been pretty cool, though none have hit that much of an emotional high.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty much all over the charts. When i was a child i'd have dreams ever other week, for the last 5 years i rarely have dreams, and now for the last week or so (since i broke up with my girlfriend) i've been having dreams pretty much every night.

I've had dreams that I remember every detail of, dreams which I can awknowledge it was a dream but not recall anything from it, dreams which I can't even tell if they were real or not (i have to ask friends if stuff really happened just to tell the difference), and i've had dreams that i remember things for a minute or so after i wake up, but then it slowly drops from my memory (weird eh? i suppose it has something to do with being half asleep). I've also had dreams more than once, and one's that follow the same storyline but are experianced different.

I've also had color dreams, black and white dreams, and imageless dreams.

I've had very emotional dreams, loving ones, hateful ones, scarey ones, and emotionless ones. These days they all lack emotion.

So i've pretty much had them all. But for the last week it's been a mix of the black and white, with the imageless dreams, they've all been emotionless or sad, and they've been bugging me. I find it draining when i dream every night.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

- cat -member
48 posts

Posted:
I remember my dreams always as well... there are also mantras you can sound that help with recalling them on the point of waking. It definitely helps to not move when you wake up e.g. throwing the alarm clock across the room is not usually conducive to remembering dream.

Then again if you want to forget I guess the opposite would be advised...

I love dreaming... there's so many places you can go (astrally).. so many situations and feelings and experiences...the lucid ones make you feel as though someone has fully peeled back the edges of reality to see the stars its made up of...

I do hate those dreams where you get shot though... and completely feel the physical pain of being shot...or nuclear fallout... those crap situations you can't pull yourself out of...

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
I love dreaming. there was a stage that i went through a wee while ago that nothing seemed to be going right in my life, then id go to sleep and have these amazing dreams. i also went through a time that i used to dream all the time, at least 4 or 5 times a week on average i would think. really vived dreams. really happy dreams. why is it that dreams can triger such strong emotions? i really used to feel every thing. sometimes they would feel stronger than things in the real world. i would feel a pin prick. or the sun on my back. that feeling that you get when you go over a hill or a bump in the road really fast when your driving. extrem happyness or etream sadness. anger. joy. every thing.
funny how dreams can make you feel diferantly about someone too isn't it. do you every get that feeling where something really funny happend in a dream and you remeber it and giggle all day -sumtimes at the most inconvenent times-? i also hate it when you have a really good dream and you really want to remeber it, and an hour later its totally gone!! im starting a dream diary. lately tho i really dont seem to be dreaming as much. frown i miss it. you can do anything in your dreams.

i used to read this books by Anne McCaffrey the tower and the hive series, i wont get into it but in the end of one of the books, i think the second, they incounter an alien race that comuncats with them via dreams. only they dont realise what it is at first. but that get the feeling that something is trying to controm the image to get a message across. you never no...

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*