LLamaDoommember
5 posts

Posted:
I've NEVER done anything like this before and I was wondering if someone could tell me just how to start?
Thanks much,
Abby peace

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
wave

grab some clean socks, throw something soft in the end to weight it, n try out the poi lessons from the menu above! It's just that easy...Then you can move onto burning your hair, hitting yourself in the crotch repeatedly, breaking anything within reach inside your house, and giving yourself black eyes umm

Welcome to HOP hug

weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

LLamaDoommember
5 posts

Posted:
lol, thank you. ubblol

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
theres pretty good tutorials on this site with video and everything. first thing your prolly gonna want to learn is the weave and i suggest keeping your hands together while your learning. just go side to side with your hands touching than when you get comfortable slowly seperate them so one hand is following the other. you ll have it in no time biggrin

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
try doing a search for what ever u are looking for. Sooooooo many people bring up this thread and thee would have to be dozens of places that will give u info on what to do and how to start. Try looking in the events section as well to find out if anything is happneing in your area and u can go from there

cheers beerchug

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

LLamaDoommember
5 posts

Posted:
I have another question, hope you don't mind...
On the forward swing are you not supposed to twist your wrists at all, or is it ok if your fingers point out to the sides?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hiya LLamaDoom,, I have one suggestion,,,,Lessons,,,,at least I found this worked for me. I learned way more having someone show me the moves and transitions,,,,things I never would have thought of myself.

Good luck weavesmiley

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
wrist flexibility is necessary for poi spinning, but for just the forward spin, try keeping your wrists loose, but fingers more forward. Think of it like your hands are cupping the air as you spin, it mebbe a little weird to start off with, but it's kind of a more proactive way to spin, and it will give you greater control.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

automaticforthepeopleGOLD Member
Obama supporter
32 posts

Posted:
Hi,

The videos on this web page are quite good (go up to Free Lessons, and select either poi or staff).

Another thing is stretching. I found my forearms would get sore after spinning. To prevent this, do this stretch -- hold your arms straight out in front of you. Now point your fingers to the sky. Hold for 15 seconds. Point your fingers to the ground. Hold for 15 seconds. Repeat.

This really helped me.

Finally, you might want to consider wearing an old ski hat. You will probably bonk yourself off the head a bunch of times at the beginning if you're like me. But, you get better, and it happens less.

Happy spinning! ubbrollsmile

Michael

"The storm it came up strong,
and shook the trees,
and blew away our fear."

-R.E.M. "Half a World Away"

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
BEST WAY TO LEARN IS TO BE SHOWN POP DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL MEET AND BUG PEOPLE TO HELP MOST PEOPLE ENJOY TEACHING