Page:
DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
i don't know about the rest of you, but I find that once the weather gets cold and damp, I kind of lose my drive to get out there and spin. Fire sure helps when it's freezing but I also find that there isn't as much of an audience for it on the streets.
Anyone know how I can remind myself how great it is to spin, bad weather or not? ubblove

P*L*U*R

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
well, i usually use the aerobics room here at college for spinning when it;s cold,( no fire of course), as it has a sound system and plenty of room, and mirrors on 3 walls!! smile
if i want to do fire, or if there is more than about 5 people, i've found a big vacant warehouse that works well... wink

-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
I do the same as soon as the summer stops.. I started again christmas eve last year after not touching them for 3 months previously..

I find its not something you can force, it just comes naturally when you`re ready to do it..

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Hey, i spin in my bedroom because i have the room to do so, but i still plan on doing fire during the winter. I'll find somewhere to do it...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I lose my drive to spin outside when the weather is cold. I spin in one of the dorm mezzanines when it is bad outside...No fire indoors either just practice poi.

A few times last year we spun with fire outside, but I found it difficult because I was always shivering and so my spinning sucked. I was afraid of burning myself, so I don't like to spin whenever it is freezing cold outside.

Happy weavesmiley

ubblove

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
i loose all intrest in spining when the weather is cold.. i practice a little bit indoors but for most of the winter i take a break... It's funny, I find that Im alot better after I take a long break and come back to it.. Its like i can master moves easily that i just couldnt grasp before i stopped..

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
I spin upstairs in the local pub, it does not cost me anything and I can get drinks whenever I like. I can also have music on and if it is cold then there are heaters. I am glad that I have found somewhere cause I was starting to get agitated at not being able to spin.

I dont mind spinning outside as long as it is not raining cause the movement keeps you warm. weavesmiley

Poi... it's an obsession.

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It's funny, I find that Im alot better after I take a long break and come back to it.. Its like i can master moves easily that i just couldnt grasp before i stopped..

Me too, often having a break is the best thing to do.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I agree with the whole taking a break, and then mastering a move you couldn't previously do, actually most of my moves were perfected this way, since I'm very easily frustrated!^-^
I just hope I don't lose my touch completely!!

P*L*U*R

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I only started spinning 3 months ago, and am totally addicted, there's no way I'm ready to take a break for the winter.

Irish winters are quite miserable though, very wet, windy & cold, so I've just re-arranged the livingroom furniture!

weavesmiley

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Are Irish winters really that cold? come to Quebec city and enjoy our -30°C, cheek-freezing winters (add wind-chill-factor ontop of that). All I can say is that I look forward to my snowboarding with poi experiments ubbangel

In the winter or rainy rays, I find outside refuge under the highway overpasses, though extreme cold will definately disuade me to enjoy spinning outdoors. As for spinning indoors, the university gym offers mirrored rooms, and there is always the possibility of renting a dance room (even more full of mirrors!). For me, there's no reason to stop spinning in the winter, I mean findidng another hobby just cause it's cold outside harly seems fair wink

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Stop spinning? For some poxy cold and rain? It hasn't stopped me yet! Stop spinning? maybe when it's snowing? Otherwise nope. It gets dark early now and I'm usually a back garden spinner, but I've started taking it out to the streets! (Well my little cul-de-sac that has a street light and a couple o' neighbours) tongue

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i tend to slow down my practice outdoors when it's cold but i'll still spin indoors if possible. but now that i'm living in snow, i'm really looking forward to spinning in. i think it'll be kinda mystical.

ok question came to mind....i live right across the street from this huge, really cool graveyard. i want to photograph it once the snow really falls, but i also started to think about that it would be really pretty and spiritual for me to spin in the graveyard in the snow. is that morbid? disrespectful to the dead? i'd ask permission from the graveyard first of course, but i wonder if it's inappropriate? i dunno, i'm very communal with the spiritual world and for me it's kind of an honoring of the dead thing, but does anyone else see it this way??

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
I dont think its disrepectful, it`ll look great.. So long as you dont dance on any graves, anyway..

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
The recent cold weather hasn't stopped me much. It's rainign right now, I'm sick, and I'm going out for a spin ubbloco

The only problem I find, is that I don't last long, because I loose the feeling in my fingers, and then *FWOOSH* my poi goes flying, because my fingers aren't curled anymore... ^^' That's happened more than once.

I like the graveyard idea, it'd be crazy... try not to hit the graves wink

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Just get a pair of tube socks and some hacky sacks. Great pratice poi, been spinning more since it's gotten colder. Not outdoors as much though. frown

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ok question came to mind....i live right across the street from this huge, really cool graveyard. i want to photograph it once the snow really falls, but i also started to think about that it would be really pretty and spiritual for me to spin in the graveyard in the snow. is that morbid? disrespectful to the dead? i'd ask permission from the graveyard first of course, but i wonder if it's inappropriate? i dunno, i'm very communal with the spiritual world and for me it's kind of an honoring of the dead thing, but does anyone else see it this way??

I don't think it would be disrespectful at all, in fact at the Samhain (Hallowe'en) celebration here, Flipmodius and I were asked to spin fire to symbolically lead everyone (who had been previously "killed") back to life by spinning fire for them. It was very beautiful.

And another thing, though Quebec may be cold, no one can beat the good ol' maritimes for mizerably wet winters. frown

P*L*U*R

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

And another thing, though Quebec may be cold, no one can beat the good ol' maritimes for mizerably wet winters. frown

I hear that. I grew up in Cape Breton Island. Talk about freezing ass winters...
Cool Idea vol.1 When i go back to Halifax in feb for my vacation Im going to make a snowman... I am then going to carve out the back.. then I am going to dress my arms up like branches... then Im going to get behind the snowman with my poi and make a video of frosty spinning.. I think Ill call it "Winter Spin Off, Stebbins vs Old Man Winter"
Thats my idea you bastards!! mad dont steal it ubblol

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Which reminds me, when are ya coming? Febuary, yes?

Mwahaha, plans for a snow spin should be made! wink

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
winter?? what is this winter you speak of?? and snow? eh? ubbloco

haha - i live in brisvegas, queensland, australia. we don't do winter. i think it was cold (ie. lowest was probably 13 degrees celcius) for maybe a week this year.

it's almost summer now. it was overcast today...but it still got to the mid 20s! lovely hot steaminess...not! too freakin hot! i am so glad i have air con!!

anyways...nuff bragging about the heat!! biggrin

on the graveyard spin - sounds very very kewl. i have some fantastic photos from a cemetry just outside of brisbane. i think it would be an amazing spiritual experience to twirl in the snow in a graveyard! i've only seen snow twice in my life, so it would be extra kewl. and i have this odd obsession with cemetries! (i get that from my mother)

go for it deimos! have a twirl for me! just make sure not to hit/stand on/damage any gravestones!! ooh - you should take a whole bunch of candles too. you could put them on the graves as a sign that you respect the spirits there, and that you mean no harm.

enjoy

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
it was me who wanted to spin in the graveyard, not dentrassi. lol, dentrassi hasn't even posted on this thread yet! ubblol hug

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
sorry! once i go to the screen to reply...i seem to forget who said what. i know...quoting would remove this problem...but that's FAR too logical!! but in my defence...i did say deimos not dentrassi!

weavesmiley

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
lol, i'm apparently not very observant either! but once you reply to a person's post, their original post shows at the bottom of your reply screen. just a lil thing i noticed with the new changes.

**giggles**

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
well that's a bit clever!!! kewl! very handy to know!!! thanx pounce!!

weavesmiley

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
biggrin no problem! hug

**giggles**

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
i just got contact gloves with grip so i can spin in any weather! Why am I wearing them right now?

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
i find that gloves really make me lose touch (no pun intended!^-^) with my spinning. I feel like they'd fall off alot and one handed moves would become very trickey. I think spinning outside in the Winter would be fruitless unless with fire, since jackets and scarves etc would get in the way of fancy moves. HOP day was kinda chilly here, but I spun in my tank top for the fire. It was so wierd! Flashes of freezing then hot. I brushed my arm with one wick and it just felt reeeeally good.

P*L*U*R

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I’ll keep spinning fire through the winter under two conditions. It isn't pouring rain (yes, I’ll spin in a slight sprinkle or mist) and if it isn’t getting to the freezing mark.

I’m lucky enough to be able to spin in a dance room during the winter, for practicing and stuff. It’s out of the weather, warm and has mirrors. Plenty of room for poi, fans and flags. Staff can be done if there aren’t any high tosses.

Now the best way to handle it (if you’re in the northern hemisphere) is to go down to Australia during the winter biggrin

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Hahaha just completely learnt the 4/5 beat weave in the peeing it down rain, drunkj as a lord! Can't tell which move it is and with no gloves! Help, hope i can do it tomoz, gonna spin for my b'f for the first time, wish me lucj! LUCK! Dammit, cya xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

even inebriated: you're all lovely people and have good souls, can't wait to meet you, when I get a break from every day life and giving out loans to people..... hope it works out for the best..... and that my lovely male mate, preserves his sense of humour through his bad time, *hugs* to james.... beerchug

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
goodluck! peace

some will understand. -buddah

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Haha, he refused point blank to stand out in the rain and watch me so we snuggled under the covers, ooooooo I'm loved up, he told me that when he's with me everything just seems *right* smile ubblove
And that post, I remember talking about the weather but nothing else! Monkey.

Page: