Forums > Social Chat > Eplanation on why the change

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
thanks malcolm! you deserved kudos for all your hard work. can you answer the question on whether our old intro threads are coming back? (please say yes, please say yes)

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Malcolm. I feel better now. Really. smile (Just bring back member statuses when you get a chance, hm? No rush. Just sayin'. biggrin)

E pluribus unum, baby.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm. I think that explaining things is very important when so many people are so emotionally attached through this place. We all know you are doing the best you can as fast as you can, but don't kill yourself doing it.

One final question...is the fireperformers.com section going to be returned?

Thanks again for the explaination!
Hugs
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Man i may get a lot of heat for this but I think it would be better if the avatar option would only be given to those with a higher member status. Say 500... It's only my opinion..

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
After starting to get used to the changes, I find that I like the facelift for the most part.

there is one thing I severly miss though - the active topics page. The "view posts in the last 24 hours" option we have now is not nearly so satisfying since you can't read the first hundred characters or so of the post before going to it. That was the primary way I skimmed through threads and watched who was replying to things I said while I was still online. I don't like having to open a thread before knowing if anything worthwhile has been said recently. I also liked that the old active topics listed each thread only once. It is very hard to sort through threads now with some of them listed a hundred times (often being the ones were people are just chatting and not saying much of interest to someone outside the conversation) and others only once.

Otherwise I think I will rather like many of the new options once my nostalgia for the old HoP fades away...

I especially love the auto-preview and convenient edit box for your posts - nice! I will use this feature a lot!

don't know what people mean by saying the changes make HoP slower. From where I sit, it seems to be significantly faster now. Is this my imagination?

thanks for the effort you give all of us Malcolm!
EDITED_BY: vanize (1069223746)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I agree about the avatar option only being available to senior HoPpers having more than 500 posts or so - but probably because I have more than 500 myself! tongue

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i like, nay i love the new look, cheers mal, its well nice, a more homie feel.....

in terms if the avartars, its like a goal to get one!hell it keeps me cummin back!

K! mal,. cheers for all the work, and hard effort, were can i send my love and money!

ps ordered i thin k12 electic-glow sticks today, ow the joys of having a credit card again!

LALALALALALA ubbloco

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I love it.

really...a HUGE thank you from me..

Well done!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cheers for your explanation, makes sense to me. I wasn't aware it was running off a txt file before, i feel dirty when writting programs a tenth of the size of this that don't use sql! Perl is pretty neat, but when you discover PHP and MySQL for websites there's really no going back. SQL2000 sucks, and ram is cheap. The server that runs HoP chat has 1.1gb of PC133 ram bought for about 60 uk pounds, has an average of 3.2 queries a second and seldom uses more than 2% of a 1ghz cpu. MySQL has been known to crash and be quite erratic on several occasions over the past few years, so be sure to take a backup once in a while.

If you have an niggiling PHP/MySQL questions then let me know

smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I have a question..

what does erratic mean?

is like lingerie and leather and all that cos if it is then im not allowed to talk about it...mum says so.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
erratic

\Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf. F. erratique. See Err.] 1. Having no certain course; roving about without a fixed destination; wandering; moving; -- hence, applied to the planets as distinguished from the fixed stars.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
aha....
from the latin...
i see.

T H A N K Y O U !

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Brilliant Change.

Now in a years time we can drop "I remember the old boards..In my day...." into posts! Great!

As for Avatars - let us keep them - otherwise I accidentally read other peoples posts, instead of just mine biggrin

- Alienfox -

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Quote:

otherwise I accidentally read other peoples posts, instead of just mine biggrin

Community spirit! I love it biggrin
ubblol

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It is fully configurable and has losts of options which I am trying to turn off (but having difficulty). eg Avatars

So anyway, i got bored of revision and downloaded the sourcecode. smile

The part of the code which allows users to add a picture is editbasic.php line 154 to 173. It checks to see if $theme['PictureView'] is set to 1.

To turn it off goto line 81/82 of theme.inc.php

// Allow users to add a picture to their profile
$theme['PictureView']= "1";

And i'm guessing change it to 0. This does of cource assume you have the same version of the code that i do smile

If you want to allow avatars for people on more than 500 posts it would be quite an easy hack to do, but i don't see an option in there by default, so you'd need to do another hack when you next upgrade.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

SQL2000 sucks

mebbe if you dunno what yer doin.. tongue

I'd pick .NET n SQL 2000 over mySQL/PHP any day(ease of use, performance, features, etc)..Only problem is the price for licensing is wayyy too steep..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
whats that you say? point and click interfaces are required to bullsh*t your way through your admin job if you don't know what you are doing? OK, yea i agree tongue

To be fair, all things considered, I'd rather have a nice little Oracle number, but for a website?

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
*mutter*Don't talk to me about PHP*mutter*.

ObGeek: I still don't know what caused it to completely crap all over its own internal stack, but forgive me for thinking that that kind of thing should be completely impossible. It wasted 4 days of my time. And the debugging features in PHP, if you can call them that, are worse than useless. Give me Perl any day. At least it's a general purpose language and has *some*, semblance of type, even if it's still weakly typed. PHP doesn't seem to have any.

With respect to SQL, I'm inclined to agree, some of the time, but I also think it's easy to rush into SQL, and I've seen some *really* badly designed databases, by people who have no concept of relational databases. SQL is, IMLE, terrible for doing threaded boards, because the data-structures don't exist, so you have to fake it in any number of ways. It also has the massive advantage that it's standard, well, if you can choose which standard you want to adhere to. MySQL doesn't give you ACID (the 4 things that a relational DBMS should do):
Atomicity - doesn't do transactions (I know that you can do transactions on certain types of individual tables, but I'm talking about real transactions across multiple tables).
Consistency - can't enforce consistency relationships
Isolation - fine
Durability - again, afaik, fine.

It's not a real database engine. However, it is fine for most web apps.

The other reason that I don't like PHP is that I think that kind of embedded program is something that rapidly becomes unmaintainable (this is based on nearly 5 years as a web-developer), and I don't like ASP or several of the Perl-based templating solutions for exactly the same reason. Perl can talk to an SQL engine, if anything, better than PHP can (PHP doesn't appear to have any kind of equivalent to Perl's DBI layer), with a nice abstraction layer in between.

And PHP code, has, in general, appeared far too regularly on bugtraq, the interpreter itself having made its own choice appearances for me to want to believe that it has fewer holes than a swiss cheese (see above also about my own stack-smashing problems). Feel free to continue using it, and it won't stop me using the board, but, each to his own, eh?

Just my however many pounds. wink

beerchug

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
As a professional web developer I have to say that I didn't understand any of that and I'm very happy with that situation. For the tenth time today I'm wondering "What am doing in this job?".

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Thats sounds like nonsense.
PHP is a crap language lol,
i've seen more come out of the php opensource communities in the past year than any other community on the net.

1,148 posts

Posted:
but if you know how, you can do the same thing from the command line as the point n click interface. isql n system procs can work wonders. I code, don't really do sysadmin unless I have to. Would I rather use a clicky interface instead of typing out:

use [test]
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[newsStory] (
[nID] [int] NOT NULL ,
[nHeadline] [varchar] (50) COLLATE ,
[nStory] [ntext] COLLATE ,
[nDateModified] [datetime] NULL
) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[newsStory] WITH NOCHECK ADD
CONSTRAINT [PK_newsStory] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[nID]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

yupp, think so..

n yes, even for a website.. been done before eh...

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
so confused, so much computer talk.

hey flid, how do you get your avatar animated? i mean aside from finding an animated avatar on the web, yours i am assuming is you spinning? hence one of your own files? how do you do that?

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

1,148 posts

Posted:
eh, Matthews right tho..only thing I dunno what he's on about is the lack of built in data structures? What additional data structures would need to exist for a threaded board? Long as your db is normalized for transaction based app, I wouldn't see any problems handling a threading structure *shrug*

As for PHP, my biggest complaint is the lack of strong types, and interpreted code. Compiled code is so much faster, _and_ you still have all of your objects, classes, etc etc...organization is good..

Ars Pyronomica

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
oh I agree, PHP's syntax for types does suck, and yes if you have 50 million users running off a 386 compiled code is a lot better. But then, on the speed of machines today and a site the size of this, do we notice the difference between compiled and interpriated? The point at which interpriated comes a problem you should be looking at generating html/xml pages as a cronjob anyway and only using a program when absolutely nessecary. PHP does suck for scripts more than a few thousand lines long, and when i've been using something like java for 6 months and come back to it it seems like a really crude excuse for a language, but it does do the job all the same. I've known several perl/c snobs in the past few years who have "seen the light" and started using php for web stuff smile I use Perl quite a bit for command line based stuff and prototyping network stuff, i'm not dissing it as a language, but for a website of this size? i don't see the point in trading off a bit of extra performance for a clunky language that was never designed for webpages.
EDITED_BY: flid (1069265234)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm

What were we talking about again?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my mom i though.... lost topic, can we get it threaded... lol

1,148 posts

Posted:
*watches as UCOF's post count jumps in orders of hundreds*
goin after C@ntus? wink

Quote:

But then, on the speed of machines today and a site the size of this, do we notice the difference between compiled and interpriated?

Depends on what kind of interpreted code you're using, really. Old ASP? yep... PHP? nah, probly not

Quote:

The point at which interpriated comes a problem you should be looking at generating html/xml pages as a cronjob anyway and only using a program when absolutely nessecary.

werd, thats the way I'd rather do it, generating includes or strait xml, but it's not always the case..

actually this ain't too far off the subject umm

Ars Pyronomica

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
not particularly mate...

just been in the computer labs lately and the novelty of having a new toy (a re-designed hop) hasnt worn off...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My god, and I thought I was a geek! biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

so confused, so much computer talk.

hey flid, how do you get your avatar animated? i mean aside from finding an animated avatar on the web, yours i am assuming is you spinning? hence one of your own files? how do you do that?

I'm not flid, but I do have an animated avatar.

I made it using Corel PhotoPaint which has a basic GIF animation program.

Another option would be to export a movie sequence from a movie editer like Premier as a scaled down GIF.

It has to be a GIF for animation, and any GIF animator program will do the job.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: