• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Eplanation on why the change

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1012
Posted:A lot of you are asking why the change.

Yes it was broke (at least cracking anfd failing in many places) and it had to be fixed.

Well the previous bulletin board was a flat text file database using perl language. Using major server resources. Page errors were happening up to 70 times a day. Extremely slow also because we are supplying about 800,000 page views per month.
We had gone past the capabilities of the program (x 10).

I had to find a new system. SQL2000 databases are too expensive and we decided to go for mySQL and php as the language.

I found that we had two options
1. Close the existing board and start a new board with no posts (easy) or...
2. migrate the flatfile text across to mySQL database and continue with the current threads (difficult) and upgrade hardware (expensive)

I chose option 2.
I had to weigh up the differences too.
We have to get more memory yet on the server to run mySQL better than it is now. (should get more on Monday)

It is fully configurable and has losts of options which I am trying to turn off (but having difficulty). eg Avatars

If you do not like the colours then remember I am colour blind, at least you can see the colours tongue
You could help by telling what colours you would prefer.

You can visit the old boards here and check your PMs and read all your old posts.
You can even still send and receive new PMs.

Sadly the change over has had far too many hiccups which will take me some time to solve.

Hope you now have atleast some understanding from this side of the data cable.

Yet to set up the moderator settings. Stay tuned Pele and Charles.

I have learnt what can go wrong generally will. But I know I can sort it out in time wave

Kindest regards

Malcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete Topic

pounce
SILVER Member since Jan 2003

pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart

Total posts: 9831
Posted:ok, is it just me or does my avatar now look kinda stretched out?

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:haha, i just noticed the same thing. ok i don't feel so alone in this.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

vanize
SILVER Member since Aug 2001

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3899
Posted:I just noticed a minute ago my avatar looked a bit blurred/pixelated too. huh...

yours is definitely skew though pounce.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:I think it is bigger now too.

-v-

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:my tongue looks funky! (ok ok so it looked funky before but at least then it was cool funky!)

**giggles**

Delete

vanize

vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:and thanks for putting the member numbers back up in our poster info!

-v-

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:hey my tongue is normal now! yay! thanks for fixing that!

**giggles**

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:There's a bug where if you go to edit your personal details profile and don't change the image it doesn't read the image size and so sets it to the 80x80 default.

I think I've fixed it, or at least it seems to have gone away for now, but if anyone else's image messes up please let me know.
Ta!

Delete

telic

I don't want a title.

Total posts: 940
Posted:Thanks, Dom!

One more question, just out of curiosity. I was member #5011 before, now I'm #4997 - why's that?

E pluribus unum, baby.

Delete

spritie
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

spritie

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2014
Posted:PM question for you:

Will we ever be able to see the message that we actually sent to someone? I have gotten some PM's back where I have completely forgotten what I asked the person responding to, and it takes me a few minutes to piece together their response to make sense...

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:spritie - probably not, but PMs are on my list of things to look at redoing.

regyt - When the board moved from being a long list in a text file to a database old deleted accounts that were gaps weren't counted in the new scheme, so everyone's number changed a little bit.

Delete

pounce

pounce

Posted:wow, no one even touched my "my tongue looks normal now" comment? i thought for sure i'd get blasted on that one! ubblol

**giggles**

**giggles**

Delete

Page: 123