musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My god, and I thought I was a geek!

n this is any different from you getting technical with medical terms how? wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
which excruciating death would you prefer? Death by a nasty infection of ASP or an acute case of SQL2000?

1,148 posts

Posted:
eek ubbidea

death by awk?

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
oi! leave awk out of this!

1,148 posts

Posted:
it seemed the least painful ubbangel

think I'm comin down wit a bad case of JCL on this current contract tho, hope it clears up frown

Ars Pyronomica

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You should get some cream for it...

ask Mr. Lightning for some Chlorodextranonicegxcentricwankide.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
upgrade is yum yum thanks malcolm
(ps 1 more vote for asp-SQL2000 'nuff said ubbangel)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
the reason PHP is crap is cuz its written by a bunch of people who may or may not know what they are doing (yeah its wonderful you have 12 year old 'sys admins' contributing, but what do they know about programming anyhow? hacking doesnt take the cake unfortunately). When you have design by committee, you often get faults. Sure its made leaps and bounds (it used to be a joke, now its almost competitve), but its not yet strong enough to compete with the big $$$$ products for serious web apps.

Postgres is a far better choice in the free or cheap RDBMS market than MYSQL IMHO, not quite as quick, but far more robust and has Transactions (and the other stuff that I cant remmeber - but is equally important wink)

I'll still be learning Linux / PHP / Postgres when I get home, but thats just cuz I'm sick of MS operating systems.

ColdFusion and SQL2k for webapps is my combo of choice...not that I've written a single line of code in 1.5 years...but everyone else was chiming in so I thought I might too smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ok. Less cionfused and less upset now.

May I tentatively ask if my either or thread is likely to coe back?

Also is there any way to get my old pm's into my new account?

All that switching between the two sounds a bit complicated for a simple fairy.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Explain to me how (with one SQL query (no stored procedure)) you sensibly get all messages in a thread, in (thread) order, such that you can display them threaded with minimal processing. For bonus points, the SQL query that can insert them to be able to do that.

Threading is recursive. SQL is not designed for recursive data structures, RDBMSs are terrible at storing and retrieving recursive data sensibly.

beerchug

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

605 posts

Posted:
Coldfusion is even more scary than PHP for memory leaks and odd bugs. Again, it has the massive problem that it doesn't separate out code and content nearly enough, though the IDE stuff (somewhat) makes up for that.

I'll stop geeking soon, I promise. smile

beerchug

Luv 'n' Lemons

1,148 posts

Posted:
haven't forgotten about ya, work days are stretching out to 15-16 hrs now..Threading doesnt have to be recursive, and all db have the same structures to handle threading, theres no diff between mySQL or SQL2k or Oracle..

Tables

Forums - list of forum attributes(ie Social Discussion)
Posts - Top level thread of a post, just has user id, forum id, dattime stamp, etc
Replies - has all text replies to a post, initial post has the reply, contains the id of the post and the id of the reply that this reply is in response to(this is what you group by in your sql statement, for simplicity, you really only need the id that this reply is in response to, no recursion needed here)

sql statement would be somethin like

select * from replies where forum_id = 1 AND post_id = 1 group by reply_replyID order by date_posted desc

Wouldn't mind actually tryin this out, I've never coded threaded discussion boards eh

out beerchug

Ars Pyronomica

605 posts

Posted:
I think that at least some of the confusion stems from what I mean by "threading". What I am referring to is that each message is a reply to one or zero messages, such that the display shows messages in trees. Posting time on its own can't sort messages correctly for this kind of display. Threads diverge.

If you look at the history, you'll find that the unix rn command (standing for "read news") displayed messages in the way you describe, but the big innovation was trn which stood for "threaded read news", and used trees to indicate threads of conversation. This kind of threading must, by consequence be recursive, and thus can't easily be handled by SQL, which is, by nature, iterative.

My main problem in all of this is the tendency by large numbers of people to just use an SQL database for everything, without really understanding normalisation, data access, indexing, or search. In the case of a hierarchical database, such things exist (see also filesystems, LDAP etc), so it's not impossible to do.

As I recall, the way I had to do threading last time I tried to do it, was to get the data out in reverse order from where I wanted it, and reverse it in the code. I did it by putting all the magic at insert time, by shifting down everything below where I wanted to insert, using a sort_order column. I also had an indent_level, which would be based on 1 + (Parent's indent_level). This is painful in SQL.

I still don't like PHP, and I still detest Coldfusion (memory-leaks abound).

Oh well, back to insane routing.... beerchug

Luv 'n' Lemons

1,148 posts

Posted:
I knew whatcha mean..but think about it..each thread only needs a link to the thread that it's in response to, and the top level thread or in this case post, at least when pulling it from sql..displaying with the proper indentation is goin to be recursion, but on the front end side

SHAPE command in SQL is nice for doin just what we're talkin about..havin to use it now to build a dataset, convert it to xml, then use that to display/generate a treeview..

Ars Pyronomica

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its quite refreshing to read a thread where i have absolutely i idea what is going on....

overall, it looks fantastic.

it would be nice to be able to change my members status again, but im hardly going to lose sleep over it.

ask youself honestly... how often does everyone REALLY read through the previous 80 pages of either/or thread?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ummm I think its the etiquette of the whole thread thingo though Den... fluffy started it... It was the biggest standout thread on the whole of hop, and understandably she was proud of it... thats what I think anyhoo smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think the new board is starting to grow on me, but I would like to see the old either/or back, too.

Look, if it's not possible, it's not possible. We'll manage. We always do. This board has held together through thick and thin and through all sorts of member turnover and everything. I think we can keep it together here.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'm all for the lack of either/or tongue, but does malcolm not have a backup? Can we not qrite the sql for him? I've looked at the code for the new board and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

The new board is growing on me too, but i dislike on the main page the fact that when you hover the mouse over truncated subject titles it no longer shows a box with the full title in and the fact that PMs arn't threaded anymore.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i miss having the PMs threaded. and i think it's a bummer that the old either/or isn't on the old board now either. but fluffy has now been given her rightful credit to the game, thankfully smile yay Pele! thanks again!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
PMs will be grouped by user shortly. Unfortunately I've got really busy for a few days so I'm not doing anything more till the weekend.

flid - Tis not a simple SQL command. It's flat text files (for each thread) importing into a db. As all things like post number, username, etc... changed during the move doing a selective move now would be a nightmare, and redoing the full move after the site had been running for a few days was out the question. Instead we're going to look forward and do things like implement an integrated and better image gallery.

Nothing has been lost. Old threads are archived and intros and games have been restarted with vigour.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

PMs will be grouped by user shortly. Unfortunately I've got really busy for a few days so I'm not doing anything more till the weekend.

oh awesome. i didn't even think about that coming back. so cool that it is. so would it be possible to have folders for our PMs? i do have to say i miss the fact that when you got a PM and had the email option checked, it would actually send you the content of the PM in the email. it let me save them all on my computer without cluttering up my PM folder. would that be a possibility to come back? thanks for all the hard work tho! definately take the week off!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
hey Pounce, when I get a PM notice via e-mail, the content is in it...Did it get fixed so quick? Yay Dom ubblove

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh really? sweet. i'll have to change my settings again. thanks!

**giggles**

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Evening all.
There's a few changes that people might like to know about.

The big one that a lot of people have asked for: Users with over 100 posts now have the ability to change their 'member' title.
It seems that most people are using the old skool HoP look for the board, but I'd like to point out that you can change to one of a small selection of stylesheets in your profile. There's even a little preview button now that'll allow you to see what they all look like before you choose one.
Searching by user number is now part of the Search page again. A user's number appears under their name when they post.
There's an icon in people's posts that lets you PM them easily from the post.

605 posts

Posted:
Nice one. smile

Luv 'n' Lemons

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
SCORE! Look who just got her 100 post!!! *points to herself*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
OMG

rushes off to change her member status

**giggles**

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
My avatar suddenly looks fuzzier ::rubs her eyes:: Are they being stretched bigger or something?

And, thanks for making member status malleable. smile

E pluribus unum, baby.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok, is it just me or does my avatar now look kinda stretched out?

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
haha, i just noticed the same thing. ok i don't feel so alone in this.

**giggles**

Page: