Forums > Social Chat > The "I dont like the new HoP" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hello,

Im shure that malcom has been working his butt off to get this up, and i dont mean to sound ungratfull, but I have to register my intence adverse reaction to the changes. Only by giving feedback like this do i think we can get the board to its best operation.

A list:

I dont like the new post smileys, whats coleman gonna use?

Avatars are making the site even slower.

I dont see the point in treaded threads, this isnt slashdot.

I dont like the new layout, clunky as fec, huge space for the name of thread started (normally pretty short) but tiny space for thread title.

Dont like the star rating on threads, its pretty redundant cos you know how popular a thread is by the number of posts.

Dont like the fact all my pm's have gone

dont like no member status.

dont like the colours

it looks like a pre-www bbs

what and all the collaps buttons and stuff for? for threading, but no-one is gonna use them. where is the button for replying to the whole thread? why you go and make it more complicated instead of less?

there are other things, an ill pop back as i work my way round, but you really ought to know that it makes me feel like abandoning hop all together.

Tom wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i've gotta say i really like the new look, sure yesterday i was wondering round very confused (but then it dosnt take much to do that to me!! rolleyes) and feeling alittle lonley but i've started to figure my way around and i just like to give a big thumbs up to malcom for all the hard work biggrin

the only thing i will say if that it would be cool if we could load the advatars from say out desktops or other places other than the net, but i dont know if that will use more memory space or whatevers involved, as you can tell im not a great computer buff:)

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i gotta go with regyt on this one. i'm not bitching at malcolm's hard work, i'm giving both positive feeback and constructive criticism, which he has thanked all of us for. i don't expect some of the things i want to come back to come back right away or at all, but i'm voicing an opinion. thought i was allowed to do that. most of the comments i've been making were out of playful fun anyhow, as it seems most of the people's were too. anyone who knows me should know that. and everyone else i know on this board i know that their comments have been made playfully too. just my three cents....

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as there is talk of php being a [censored] language for a website in one of malcolms threads, i have to agree with most things here.
for an out of the box, easy install php.threads from infopop which costs $225-$700 US, this is awful.
Dont get me wrong how ever much i love hop and have done in the past, hop needed this upgrade, i was getting sick to death of not being able to read threads here on the old UBB, to be honest i was at my wits end and wasn't going to bother coming back.
Going back to the upgrade and the cost of such a product, i cant belive they charge so much for it., me personally buisness or no buisness would liketo entail as many problems as malcolm has had.
UBB and the new upgrade to BB.threads both from infopop, i'd have thought that they would be producing SQL porters, to import and make the relevant changes to the database to make it work on the new BB.threads board, but no, they charge $400 US for their support/ them doing it.
No wonder malcolm has struggled doing this.
Its not that i dont like the new hop, it has many flaws that i hate and the interface for some thing that costs that kind of money is crap, even typing this message i half a screen to my right doing nothing!!! litteraly nothing, it looks like there is a few input boxes just dropped randomly on my page.
I generally dont like boxes around things, but they could have put some here and there to distinguish things on a page.

My feeling on hop is that it has become too complicated, not malcolms fault, did he even expect hop to push over 5000+ members in 2 years since i registered? i dont know, but i bet he didn't, i was browsing around some pages here today that you generally wouldnt goto, still in plain html, now real design to it, but it works still, with the injection of some thing new like BB.threads, I'd have thought that a CMS would have come into it, and generated a new lease of life into hop, yeah ok i dont and have made myself and others aware that i dont generally like BB.threads, but it has brought hop in to a new level but only in part.
I think for what infopop are charging they should be supplying a full out of the box, easy as piss install web package.
I think generally I personally would like hop better if the site was designed around a single product, such as what Osc2Nuke are creating right now, an all in one content management system, combined with OsCommerce shopping cart and phpBB bulletin board running all from one database, i have even seen SQL inporters written for transfering from BB.threads to Osc2Nuke.
Hop could have a whole transformation into something beyond belief that no one would expect. Money shouldn't come into it, but Osc2Nuke is a free product, me on a personal level would have looked at some thing different that this much hassle of installing a database to a product of the same company.
Not my call at the end of the day.

I back you at the end of the day tom, you will allways be a very good personal friend of mine.
Do what you feel is right, i personally don't think you will leave, but focus your thoughts elsewhere.
In general to come to a close, i dont like it either.

thats my truth and i am just being honest.
I too have many other reasons as to why i don't post very often any more, and a post i made yesterday in the technical threads topped it for me as to why i dont want to post help.

I dont want hop to have a slump again like last year because that sucked, every one saying this and that, this seems to be a general few of us with concerns who have discussed amongst ourselves, and airing our views.
So please guys, let tom air his, he has every right to like the rest of us.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
hug One more reason for me to love PK ubblove

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
the new format makes baby jesus cry ubbcrying

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I cant believe in the past two days how much i have typed here and on poiinthepark, well i am not complaining, i have a job interview tommorrow, so i can display good typing skills, i feel that along with my juggling and unicycling my all round skills are coming on leaps and bounds.

wizzzzzzzzzzzz............

cheers pele. hug

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
I'm for the new look, after all it is just the forum that looks different, HOP itself is still the same. And at this point the forum looks pretty much the same as it did three days ago, just got a few buttons more. Great gives us some more stuff to figure out in our spare time. New skins, that means members can start designing them themselves, a whole new string of competition.

The whole fact that you can respond to some one in particular on a thead is also pretty handy. Will really help the thread to stay on topic. And also if your too late with a response it'll be clearer to read.

And hop was kinda broken, or at least sooooo slooooowww that it was becoming unbareable. Now it runs like a dream. Despite everyone having avatars. Avatars also gives us all a wee bit more personality, but a goal before hand might have been cool.

All in all I like it alot, Thanks malcom once again for the HUGE amount of work that you put in.

My only sugestion is that you really have to take the back route to get into the chatroom, maybe a wee link could be sorted.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

one problem with threading.... say the post is at the top, and your viewing in flat, which i always am, and you want to reply to the post as a whole, but your on the second page, so you gotta reply to something else, thats fine if your in flat, but viewing in treaded means that it looks like your replying to some reply, and not to the thread.

Thanks PK for your support, shurly peaple must understand that Im doing this in aid of a better hop, and if we dont express what we want for a bb then we wont get it. Gosh, there is a lot of blank space isnt there?

Im not dissing malcom, I know how hard hes been having it lately, and the amount of work it takes to build something like this, but i dont want all that work in vain, especially when i have such an adverse reaction.

couple of other points, dunno about you, but hop is slower here than ever. And Im not just going "change, bad!" I thought there should be changes, but for the better.

Dom, If i cant use it, I wont.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
the only thing i have found that i dont like is the fact that far right side of the page is cut and i have to use the slide bar at the bottom.

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
I must admit the layout is a little wierd and im sure we all miss the old HOP but think back to when you first joined im sure when you first logged on we were all thinking this is different it's just like any new website at first it seems weird and different and we dont like it but after time we get used to it and begin to love it congrats to you malcom for doing such a execellent on the new site (but i am missing the old one! ubbangel)

love f!reth!stle

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I recommend that you poke around and explore. Look at all the new options, cool buttons, bells, and whistles.

Change is good. Old people stagnate. If you hadn't embraced change and new experiences, would you have ever discovered poi?

Yeah, it doesn't feel like the good ole' HOP that we all knew and loved. However, in time I think it will start to feel like the good NEW HOP that we all know and love.

What's important isn't the layout and the colors, but the fact that some of the coolest people in the world are on this board, whether it's in plain matte grey or in "Wild Jungle Tarzan" theme.

Ok, so some of the old games are gone (like member status), but there will always be room for new traditions. Just give it some time and it will start to feel like home.

And also, give Malcolm some time to work out the kinks.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I agree... Malcolm has a life outside of hop as we all do,(well cept post whore C@ntus wink wink) and Im sure that Cherry and Seven would like to see him everynow and then too... we need to give him a fair go!!!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the new format makes baby jesus cry ubbcrying

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ya i dont think im really going to leave the site.. I was just caught by surprize and after my first 4 post were deleted when i tried to send them i was SUPER pissed..
I know Malcolm has put alot of hard work in and I'm sure the site is going to be really great when all the bugs worked out..
Stebb's signing back in. heheheh ubbrollsmile

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
holy crap, the board now monitors duplicate posts. i just tried to post on the band game and it told me my post already existed (i.e. someone had already listed the band i wanted to list). that's so cool, at least for the game. keeps us from using something over and over again.

another thing i like about this new place! i'm really starting to love a lot of the changes!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to say I like the new look, well its kind of the old look for me, I choose the grey HOP scheme so it has a bit of the old time feel, but with some different features ubbrollsmile

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
at least you guys can post. every time i try i get a message saying that the host the message is coming from is not valid.

poop.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
WOOOOHOOOO! i can post again, malcolm fixed it for me, ba ba baaah!

i hereby retract my previous post of "poop".

I only wanted to be 16... and free

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hopefully I can post now too. If so, major thumbs up to Malcolm for great service.

Malcolm, I love the new bulletin board. It has had teething problems which has meant I haven't been able to post for the past couple of days. But I love the way it looks and when it is all sorted out it will be great.

Thanks hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive found a small problem..

when anyone write the letters: C,@,N,T,U,S, the website reads it as an emai addressl :C@NTUS

and thin of how many times people say C@ntus??

Surely sort script must be in order!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
see! its working!

things are changing as we point them out, smileys have come back, text boxes have been extended (tho a little too far in this case) the layout of the topic pages might get sorted anytime soon. Keep complaining!

And now I understand what made dom so defensive, hehehe spank

T wave

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh, but i still want an overall reply button, im shure this whole thing looks like a heap of [censored] threaded....

T wave

-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i want active topics back, but i suspect it'd far far too complicated to implement.

so i'll just cry instead, thusly: ubbcrying

while i'm at it, i may as well get all this other stuff off my chest...

my avatar sucks ubbcrying i can't think of a new signature ubbcrying i can't juggle ubbcrying

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
So far I haven't really done anything except a couple of cosmetc things (and changed the date to dd/mm to confuse people) as I haven't actually spoken to Malcolm yet.

I'm going to try and take some of the load off a very over worked Malcolm so if you'd kindly send suggestions and problems my way via PM I'll see what I can do.

Notes:
Changes to the main templates will probably wait until the weekend when the site's traffic slows - this will fix things like the post subject row being too small.
Anyone care if we remove the thread ratings?
In your settings you can turn off the ability to see people's avatars if they're annoying you or slowing download.
You can also change the size of the edit text box (but the default is now 80x10, until it changes again)
Looks like the 'Reply to first Post' and member status features would have to be a mod. Depending upon how much hassle this would be we'll just have to wait and see if it's going to be done.
But some features of the old board are gone forever. Feel free to mourn thier passing as you see fit.

Thanks for your patience guys,
Dom

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Anyone care if we remove the thread ratings?

one vote for h3ll nah

pm on it's way

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm all good with the ratings gone too!

**giggles**

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i want active topics back, but i suspect it'd far far too complicated to implement.

so i'll just cry instead, thusly: ubbcrying

while i'm at it, i may as well get all this other stuff off my chest...

my avatar sucks ubbcrying i can't think of a new signature ubbcrying i can't juggle ubbcrying

awww i like your avatar.... as far as the rest though you may continue crying smile

thank you
drive thru

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
is PM the best way? at least on a tread other peaple can notice and object if there is something suggesed they dont like?

No probs with the rating removal.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Not so much a problem....

if I click on 'community' when I am in the gallery section - it takes me to the old board - I need to go back to the main hop page to then get into the board....

thought you might like to know smile

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Yeah, ditch the thread ratings. What a waste.

But I woke up today and felt good about the color scheme, and the new quote boxes look real good to me.

And keep avatars! I looove avatars!

E pluribus unum, baby.

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
.... but a question/remark...

why do i have 4 of everyone in my adress book (or what was buddy list)? i deleted 1 person and put them back in & now there's only one of them, but i don't really want to do that for everyone in there!

okay - so its not that important of a comment.

and yeah - no need of ratings

apart from that i'm starting to understand my way round, but it was a bit of a shock, and not being a big user of such boards i got very confused! at least i now (having read all the comments & complaints threads) understand what threading and avatars are ubbloco

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

Page: