Forums > Social Chat > The "I dont like the new HoP" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hello,

Im shure that malcom has been working his butt off to get this up, and i dont mean to sound ungratfull, but I have to register my intence adverse reaction to the changes. Only by giving feedback like this do i think we can get the board to its best operation.

A list:

I dont like the new post smileys, whats coleman gonna use?

Avatars are making the site even slower.

I dont see the point in treaded threads, this isnt slashdot.

I dont like the new layout, clunky as fec, huge space for the name of thread started (normally pretty short) but tiny space for thread title.

Dont like the star rating on threads, its pretty redundant cos you know how popular a thread is by the number of posts.

Dont like the fact all my pm's have gone

dont like no member status.

dont like the colours

it looks like a pre-www bbs

what and all the collaps buttons and stuff for? for threading, but no-one is gonna use them. where is the button for replying to the whole thread? why you go and make it more complicated instead of less?

there are other things, an ill pop back as i work my way round, but you really ought to know that it makes me feel like abandoning hop all together.

Tom wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
eek
frown no don't leave us tom
spankhow dare you say you don't like the new HoP! Heathen!

i have to agree with you on most of the above though frown
i miss old hop already

(runs for cover)
o no they're all going to tell us off now

Non-Https Image Link

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
ah what's my eep smiley doing to my sad smiley?!!! see....

umm

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Without wanting to be slapped around and be called Susan again, but I miss and preferred the old board aswell, however, in Malcolm's defence, it is said human's are afraid of change... lets give it a chance... if we still don't like it in two weeks time, voice our promblems and I'm sure Malcolm will look into meeting use all half way.

BUT DON'T LEAVE TOM!!!!!! tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
*wanders in looking very very lost*
am i in the right place?? confused *looks around*
okay, then... i love malcom dearly, and i appreciate all that he does, but...i must agree with Nix... I miss the old HoP... ;-;
(i feel like a bad guy posting this...)

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

when pip chaged, i went "Yay!" cos its kick ass. Tho maybe i should give the new hop a chance, but I was so like "ewww" that i hadda say sommit. It just gives the impression of being ported over to a standard php system with not much thought for the features we actually kneed.

oh yeah, and where are the quote marks on my sig? ("")

and the member numbers? they were well usefull for finding stuff.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I fully understand, And I respect your views. I to believe that it now feels more like a normal BB to, but HoP never really mattered to what it looked like, but the people it invited, and allowed to call family.

peace

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
awferchrissake Nix? rolleyes

I understand it mebbe a little new, but leavin HOP for some new changes?? When you first setup a board, it takes a while to tweek it out so that it ends up looking how you want it to. You can also edit certain features out of the site templates that you don't, or add more that you want.

check this out , decent example of one theme in ubbthreads, *shrug*

How bout make a list of things that we wouldn't need in one place?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I liked the old site a lot too.

Didn't want to say anything about the new one till I'd spent time getting used to it.

My initial feeling was that I didn't like it, but I understand that it's pretty customisable so possibly the colours etc can be altered to the same as on the old site?

Main thing is if it works ok; I personally prefer something simple that works well than something with loads of options that doesn't.

Congrats to Malcolm on the changeover which seems to have gone fairly smoothly and gratitude for all the work he puts in.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I think that its going to take a while to get used to but we are only a few hours on the new board and honestly? I like some of the new features... I like the avatars... heaps of people were complaining that we couldnt have them on the old board, and now we have them so we should give it a go I reckon...
I dont like the fact that I cannot find my intro BUT ucof has promised that it will be added again and I believe him. After all the work that malcolm must have done yestreday, I think we should show our appreciation, because it must sometimes be a selfless task to run this B.B
I would like to have all my old pms though... I had address' and stuff like that on them, but at the end of the day Im sure I will make those contacts again... Chin up chickens Im sure we will settle into this just fine. kiss hug
Tom pls dont go

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I sort of agree. I like the avatars and the font colors, but...

But grarh, I was so close to being able to change my member status, and now that option doesn't exist anymore! That bugs me mightily.

The only other thing that really gets to me is the way the topics with new posts are so vividly colored in each of the schemes. It kind of overwhelms me. But that, I'll probably get used to.

E pluribus unum, baby.

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Quote:

you really ought to know that it makes me feel like abandoning hop all together.

Do you dump a girlfriend when she gets a different haircut? She's the same person as before, just looks a little different. Geez. rolleyes

I think it's sad that you would leave a msg board altogether just because it looks or works different. The same people are still posting on it about the same fire-related stuff. The heart of the board didn't change. I'm sorry you can't see that.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh well, if regyt is jumping in on this one then i suppose i will now too.

i don't dislike the new HOP board, but i'm not sure i like it too. i hugely appreciate Malcolm's major and tiring work on here and there are a few things i do like...

*i like the avatars
*the font colors
*it shows how many new posts since last read
*it now shows in the forum section who last posted
*the favorite threads option
*ability to print post and all those lil post extras at the bottom (perhaps they were there before but i never noticed them)
*when you click on a reply to one particular post you can see it at the bottom so you can reply to specific things in it without quoting if you don't want to
*now have the "all" option in looking at threads in case you don't want to sort through each and every page
*the pretty blue frosted colour

i haven't browsed enough to say what else i like, but i'm sure there is more. i think i've been spending so much time being bewildered that i haven't browsed much. but i do know there are a few things i dislike...

*no more member status
*layout's kinda weird but i'm sure i can easily get used to that
*some things unnecessary like the threaded/flat option
my intro thread gone (but i hear it should be coming back so i won't really complain about that yet)
*i have to change the length of my signature if i want to update anything on my profile
*haven't noticed yet but some of you are saying we can't search for certain member's posts anymore and i don't like that
*i agree on the rating thing
*no overall reply button
*the censorbot, although it is kinda funny. and i can see why it would be necessary. ok so it's not really a complaint, really, entirely.
*i still have no idea on how to use the poll start stuff but that's more my problem that an actual board problem ubblol

i'm still giving it a chance and just hoping that Malcolm listens to some of our constructive criticism on some of the smaller items and return them to the way they were perhaps.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
ya I really dont like the new HOP.. It has lost alot of its charm.. Im having a really hard time doing stuff... I don't think I'm going to stay... goodbye guys I had a lot of fun while it lasted.. . Stebb's signing out

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh ya, i miss how you could see who was online at the top of the forum page, instead of having to go to a separate page entirely to see who's online.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For all the things that have been added, they are merely aesthetic and really haven't helped the posting or the loading at all, and in fact, in many ways, I agree it slows it down.

Because of the addition of so much new "stuff" things have proven to be really hard to find and I think it is not organized well at all, which is not Malcolm's fault but the creator of the template/version he is using.
In addition to all the things mentioned, I ****really**** dislike the replying to a specific person instead of the universal reply thing. The new post button is not clearly marked and there is much confusion concerning it.
And that is not even talking about the mod features.

I have fielded numerous emails today of people wanting to know about the change, where things are and how to use new things...and I have little clue since the change came as a surprise to me as well.

In the end I am not afraid of change at all, the last changes to the bb were really needed and welcomed on my part. This one falls under the category in my mind of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". In my eyes HoP didn't need to be fixed.

HOWEVER...I am sure Malcolm had his reasons. I am sure in time we will know what they were. I am also sure that we all completely appreciate all that he does for us on a daily basis and that gratitude and affection for our fearless leader will not change because HoP does.
Just think of it as visiting a friend. You love the friend and enjoy the visit, but it doesn't mean you have to like the way they dress. smile

Take care all!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
fire dancing fairy just told me she has to change her name cause it's too long? ok i don't like that. she shouldn't have to change her name. plus UCOF apparently gets to keep his really long name.

**giggles**

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
Its ok... I don't mind my name being all squished in together now... I just had to get rid of the spaces. I can deal with that! biggrin

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok i can apparently keep my signature now. i'm a lil more happy

**giggles**

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I don't blame Malcolm for the layout of the new board, I just don't like the new board!

Malcolm is still pretty cool! smile

Raph

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok there's no more 8 max limit on graemlins per post. i like that

runs off to play some more and see what else she might like

this color scheme and layout is starting to grow on me....

**giggles**

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Im quite happy, JUST REMEBER GUYS the change over hasnt happened completely yet and we need to have patience...I still havent gotten my intro back, but I am waiting and Im sure it will all settle down soon... just give it time guys smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

940 posts

Posted:
Whoa. I just tried to edit a post I made earlier today and it wouldn't let me, saying that the "maximum edit time" had expired. confused

E pluribus unum, baby.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ah, lads, please don't be so fickle. most people have an aversion to change, as humans it's in our nature. and this changeover was quite dramatic, i.e. i don't think anyone was expecting it.

but to leave HoP because of a few silly colours & buttons? i thought it was the content & contact that draws us here confused

all things new are bound to have a few teething problems at the start.

but i bet after a fortnight many will hardly remember what the old site looked like.....

thanks for all the hard work malcolm

Lisa peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm with Fabergé.

If you're going to be so fickle and impatient to leave the board 24 hours after a necessary change to a new layout then please, please, please! make sure the door doesn't slam your butt on the way out. I wouldn't want law suits for anal injury to be added to all the grief and hassle an over-worked and under appreciated Malcolm is currently getting.

Give it some time. Malcolm is well aware of the features we had before and what we liked. Malcolm is not a 18 year old web master intent on producing a site with flashing buttons and whistles - he's a fan of minimal design and usability.

Some of the features we're just going to have to get used to or live without. Oh well, that's life for you.

As for the board colours - you did look around and find out you can have a variety of colours and font sizes, right? Personally I didn't like the old colours and font size, so now I have a nice baby blue HoP I'm happier. smile

Thank you Malcolm

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im with myself at the moment..

right..guys..

all of you- quit it with the complaining.

do you have ANY idea how busy malcolm has been these past few days. 18 hours straight he was working to do his utmost to get this new board up and running....and how do you repay him?:
by having a go and being so negative:

wheres my member status?
wheres my intro?
blah blah blah..

quit it already!

im sure they will all come back once malcolm has had some sleep, some food, and the walls have stopped melting (green wink).

Does ANYONE have any idea just how much work it takes to move (presumeably) each single thread into the new bbs?

exactly..it takes a long time.

Im not meaning to piss on anyone's bonfire, but just wait a week before making your descisions, but mainly wait for all the old things to start working again..

Ive grown quite attatched to it now.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
A voice of reason from UCOF?!?! Now you know the world's gone all loopy! smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
:looks smug:

940 posts

Posted:
Calm, people. We're all grateful for the work Malcolm is putting in, and I'll be surprised if anyone really leaves because of this. I see this thread more as a list of things that should get fixed when he happens to have the time. peace

E pluribus unum, baby.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

my mate nix? said something like:

I dont like the new post smileys, whats coleman gonna use?

i almost cried about that yesterday but i didn't wanna be a pest ubbangel

turns out malcolm is THE MAN and my orange and black face is back! biggrin

one thing i really think is a great addition is threaded rather than flat posts.
its a great feature that helps avoid such major hijacks of threads.

a couple of examples:

the threads that run on war/religion/politics topics often become a discussion between two people - threaded replies mean we can have sub discussions without disrupting the main one.

in the poi moves forum, often a question like 'how do i do a 5bt weave' turns into a discussion on hyperloops (rarely anything to do with me, honest wink) - threaded replies mean this tangent to the main thread subject can be ignored with a few clicks.

if we want to reply to the main thread, we can simply click 'reply' on the thread's starting post [maybe a 'reply to first post' button would help out here though].

and like dom said - any changes will have teething problems.
malcolm really has done an amazing job getting these changes made with so few problems.

i love it already biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: