Forums > Social Chat > no more fire for me for a while

Login/Join to Participate

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
spun yesterday in christchurch and ended session coughing for some time.. now the third time this has happened to me...

and so i will take advantage of the fact that i have spent nearly 1000 pounds on aerotech equipment and practise with that for a while....

would love to go to a doctor but not insured against fire play in this country....hmmmm

ubbcryingR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dude that [censored] sucks.

hope you get well soon.

then you can continue being sick at spinning...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It appears the swear bot is working again ubbcrying

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Sweetie. Can I make a suggestion? Try some deep breathing exercises everyday for awhile. It should help. And have fun with the aerotech. Sometimes I like using that stuff more than fire, just for the continuousness of it. No stopping to refuel!
Hugs and empathy to you my friend!
P~ hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh no... are you asmathic? that could be playing with your lungs a wee bit.... eek

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Nooo... blue, you poor poor thing, and on your travels too. Well, we'll just have to spin glow when we meet... biggrin, Valura and I are looking forward to it... beerchug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
hug

Hope you feel better. Sending you healing love. Glow is lots of fun too! biggrin

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Try to see if different [less smoky] fuels help, maybe? Once your lungs have a chance to recover a bit, I mean.

E pluribus unum, baby.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I wanted to give Bluecat a gold star to cheer him up... biggrin

beerchug wave weavesmiley

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Don't worry I'm a Doctor!!!

I advise twice daily massage, and drinking more beer to line the gullet before fire performances.

- Alienfox -

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Poor Mr Cat frown BUT..... hell man you've got one long blue Aerotech to play with ubblove

I'm sorry to hear about this babe.

Here have some Lisa snuggles to make you feel better hug

Take care

Lisa
X

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

thanks guys...

any specific techniques pele?

no not asthmatic...
actually arsn i was hoping and aiming to be backto fire in just under three months.... for a show here in NZ(fortunately the producer has enough faith that i will be able to do anything unburnt burning, if you know what i mean, so rehearsals won't be too bad....)

as for the unsmoky fuels... never had this problem with straight paraffin... soon as started using kerosene its all gone pearshaped... frown so hopefully i wil be able to source some of the famous smokeless fuel here in Queenstown...i forget what it is called but i know my hostess knows what it is...

hugR

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
... that's pegasol 3440.. but could also be known as solvent 3440 special and I am sure u will find some in Queenstown somewhere..

.. starting to regret u showing me behind the back weave (currently sporting a sore eye and nose..) ubbcrying but the contact staff move across the shoulders with double staff is going along nicely... tongue

... happy spinning...

Jo weavesmiley

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeep! a jo on the board... biggrin

ta.

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
Yup.... tee hee hee .... smile

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
man that bites to hear about the lung thing - hope you get better soon! more cats on fire - yes plz!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

any specific techniques pele?

Hey sweetie, here's two that help me still. I'll check the notes for the others I am supposed to do (but usually don't), because I can't think of them off the top of the head.

Anyway....

First is a breath awareness and increase exercise. Slowly inhale normally and just take notice of how you are breathing and from where, if you are a chest breather or a stomach breather, how shallow or deep your breaths are. Gradually increase the size of your slow breaths until you are filling your lungs from both the chest (out) and stomach (down). Slowly exhale. Do this several times then return your breathing to normal. This helps to stretch your lungs and increase your capacity and should take about 5 minutes.

Next is a timed thing. Inhale through your nose for a count (start with 4). Hold it for that same count, then exhale slowly through your mouth for double the count. Work your way up to longer inhales and holdings, still trying to double that count on the exhale. I find after 8 it gets challenging still for me, but I know it will come in time. Do this a few times. Also, I do this while I walk fast and it helps me not be breathless or lightheaded, as I have a tendency to hyperventilate during physical activity now.

After my accident up to a couple months ago the first exercise lead to sharp pains in my lower lungs, where the scar tissue is. With regular practice it doesn't hurt anymore and my breath size has increased quite a bit. The second exerise has really helped with the quality of my breathing. Again, after the accident, I was a very shallow breather (go figure) and this has helped with deepening my breaths alot and just the quality of my breathing has helped.

It is amazing how a "little physical damage" will actually effect our lives. It is also incredible to me how much we take breathing for granted.

Hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon Rob! hug ubblove

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK