Forums > Social Chat > Need Help with My Sons Project

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey all, this is weird but I need help from the global friends for my sons school project.

He is reading a book at school about a boy who gets flattened by a chalkboard and mails himself around the world. The class is going to draw pictures of themselves, write a letter and mail it off around the world. Whomever gets the letter is supposed to send a postcard to the address on the letter (to my sons class at the school) and then send the letter on to someone else.
Whoever has the picture and letter in May is to send it back to the school, because that is when it ends. They are going to track the postcards and see whose letter made it the farthest.
It doesn't require a whole lot but it definately requires a commitment to follow through on this, and I would absolutely love for any HoPpers to take part in it that would be interested. I think it is an awesome chance for Noah to get to know a little more about who I am talking with when on here!

If you would be interested, please post here and I will email you with further details. Thanks so much!

Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
yeh...go on then...i know lots of people all around the world.

and i also know people who live in wales.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and i wont lose it i promise biggrin

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Sure, I'll take a turn and then pass it along.

E pluribus unum, baby.

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
I will help. I'm in the US in Oklahoma and I am dating a guy with family in Panama, or I have a friend with family in Japan.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I'll help

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
can i include art work on my post card, cos if so i would love to help!

pele pealse pick me.......ow....ow *streaches arm high in air, life primary school child*.....owwwwwwww........*heavy breathing!*....

Step (el-nombrie)

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
ooo im good with letters!!!!! (just not lettersto ucof... confused confused confused )

i wanna do some crazy letter writing!!!! yes ill help!!!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I'm happy to help, but you need to send it to me quickly if you want me to participate from south africa since I am moving in a couple of months and don't know what my new address will be yet. will PM you my addy.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
If ya want it to come to australia... I'll help out on his little project... tongue Then, we could also send it to Sydney (Rozi) and then to Melbourne (Flynt)... so that's the east coast of Australia maped for ya... Oh, and Valura just yelled at me to add that she could also send it to her nana in New Zealand, and then maybe on to Malcolm... maybe??? ubbangel
EDITED_BY: arsn (1069238095)

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Oh, and as for how useful my help might be...

I'm in NY, and have friends all over the states, in Japan, in Australia, in Turkey, in Wales, in Canada, some friends of family in South Africa, family in Israel and possibly Hungary.... so we'll get you some variety. smile

E pluribus unum, baby.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Is the book he's reading called "Flat Stanley"? I love that book!

*sits back to ponder child hood memories with dumb glee plastered all over face*

We have lots of Local postcards here cuz I live by the worlds first Iron Bridge so twill be v.educational for young master Noah.

*idea* (they don't happen often so make the most of it!) Perhaps it could go from HOPer to HOPer if you set up a thread for everyone to enter their name on (once), then simply PM the next person in the thread once you receive it for their address to continue sending the piccy round the world?

weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
obviously there is no lack of people willing to recieve the letter...

the only problem is time...

if we want Pele's kid to win, then we must plan ahead.
Does he win by:

a) how many different countries the letter goes to?
b)the biggest distance the letter travels
c)somethign entirely different.

If it is based on a or b, surely the best plan would be to only let one person in each country have the letter and to send it away on the date it arrives...

We can win this.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
wow that is such a cool idea!! they did something similar at my sis's school where everyone had a balloon with a note and the schools address and the person how found the ballon had to send it back with where they were from smile

oh and yeah he can send it to me too biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Why does the name "flat Stanely" ring a bell in my head?

i dont think i ever read it though...

umm

Thornmember
52 posts

Posted:
I'll help. I'm in Minnesota (USA). My main e-mail is j3stitches(at)hotmail(dot)com

Thorn.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
UCOF I think it is how many places overall, in addition to distance travelled. I agree this is going to take some planning, which is why I am asking now! Supposedly the letters will be ready to send off next monday...which totally rocks.
What we would LOVE is for it to go around the world by May so that someone on the West Coast or Mid-US would be sending it back here. That would so completely ROCK! Which means I would send it to regyt, who could send it to UK crew, who could send it around, possibly across Europe (where some of these relatives come in handy) then to SA (hopefully) then to Aus, NZ, Japan and on home. I don't really care what the order is so long as it gets there, you know?

And yes, artwork is allowable on the postcard, so long as a little fact about your area is included as well!

Yes it is the book "Flat Stanley" by Jeff Brown! I never read it either, but want to now! lol

Thank you so much everyone for being so excited to help! This is amazing. What a family we have here! I new I could count on ya'all! *sniffle*

ubblove
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'd love to help out as well. I'm in TX, and if it gets to me before Dec. 17, then I could bring it with me to Vanize and save the at least 10 days it would take to get there in the mail.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I dont mind helping - I have family in SW France...
ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm definately in! I remember reading that book, too!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
oooh! postcards and letters! count me in! biggrin

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, if it is going across europe first, then to be sure i get it here in South Africa, it needs to be posted by January 2nd at the latest since I move to Berlin on the 14th of January. But, a better idea is to mail it to my Afrikaans friend Stef (who would totally enjoy this sort of thing anyway) who lives here. I can leave her instructions on who to mail it to next - or she could send it to her friend in Dubai and she could tell him who to mail it to next.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Sure, I'll do it too! biggrin

Southern Cali is in

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
We would be happy to help. Perth Australia. wave

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Pele. I'm over in Malta at the end of December, so I can send it to myself from London to Malta then from there I can forward it on to anywhere else. It might just win a prize for the most obscure country smile

You organising a sequence of HoP people to send it through?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
owwwwww haooy days, only one prob if all goes to plan then pele ur lil one will have sooooo many card that he'l be indanger of being crushed if he tries to pick them all up at once, and the other thing is, can we not just send you a psot card just incase one fo us dont get teh letter, so say it goes to london then to scotland and never hits me? can i not send you a post card to show that teh letter would have reached me, (but it just didnt)!

and i assume on pear end post cards of teh rude variety?

owwww im looking forwards to this, making pele's lil one go to school with a MASSIVE sack of card and a beeming smile!

happy days

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yes it is the book "Flat Stanley" by Jeff Brown! I never read it either, but want to now! lol

You'll love it Pele, it's a story that crosses the age barrier and makes everyone smile ubbrollsmile: And being so short it'll only take a couple of hours to read!!

Ah the memories, ubblove picking your nose, blue pop, to many sweeties, trousers to short and jumpers to long, Flat Stanley and Buddy and Lord of the Rings, always having energy and never sweating,

*inspiration*

time for a new thread me thinks.......

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Ah the memories, ubblove picking your nose, blue pop, to many sweeties, trousers to short and jumpers to long, Flat Stanley and Buddy and Lord of the Rings, always having energy and never sweating,

what you mean last wee?

thats my prob, im too young to remeber my child hood, its true, i only remebre real lil fragments of it, no matter how hard i think about it! oh well thems the break, but i think gidg is right im losing my short term memory!

Step (el-nombrie)

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
ill help you out! Im in Ireland

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

CheshireCatmember
51 posts

Posted:
now that i've figured out how to post:

you don't seem to have anyone in germany yet, so here i am! =)

if the timings right you might be able to get my uncle in ethiopia too..

how very cool! we don't get to to crazy school projects anymore...the good old days where exams involved paste and colorful paper...*sniff*

oh, and i think we're cheating...

It aint broke...It just lacks large amounts of duct-tape!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm in the Republic if you fancy it going north and south of the border... ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Page: ...