Forums > Social Chat > Need Help with My Sons Project

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey all, this is weird but I need help from the global friends for my sons school project.

He is reading a book at school about a boy who gets flattened by a chalkboard and mails himself around the world. The class is going to draw pictures of themselves, write a letter and mail it off around the world. Whomever gets the letter is supposed to send a postcard to the address on the letter (to my sons class at the school) and then send the letter on to someone else.
Whoever has the picture and letter in May is to send it back to the school, because that is when it ends. They are going to track the postcards and see whose letter made it the farthest.
It doesn't require a whole lot but it definately requires a commitment to follow through on this, and I would absolutely love for any HoPpers to take part in it that would be interested. I think it is an awesome chance for Noah to get to know a little more about who I am talking with when on here!

If you would be interested, please post here and I will email you with further details. Thanks so much!

Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
we can send it to my grandad in the seychelles.

and heres the best part:
I go to bording school full of international students! i can get them to write about where they live and put it in the letter too!!!!!
or do they need postmarks?

anyway, pele you need to start to organise where its going in what order. i suggest a flat send it east and keep going round the northern hemisphere, and then once it hits us, go via southern hemisphere!
no, reverse the hemispheres, i wanna read the letters too! biggrin

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
you've got yerself a contact in Nova Scotia wink Not far from where you live, I think.... Wait, thinking outside of school, sorry, broke a law of sorts.... biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

what you mean last wee?

Sorry was that question to me? What last wee?

weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hey hey

this sounds fun! count me in!! i'm in brisvegas, australia. my friend has a bf in chilliwack, canada...i have a friend in chicago...umm...ooh friends in japan too! i have another friend in tasmania too...that only kinda counts as another country!! (hehe - i am SO kidding!! *ducks for cover from angry taswegians*!)

so how do we get involved? pm u an address?

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'll help if you want smile

Flat Stanley is cool cool

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
don't count me out i'm in canada(novascotia) i've got famly in icelad, states, uklrain, phllipans,scotland,and south aferica.wow theres alot of people in my famly now that i think of it. umm

love and peace, love and peace, love andspeace. peace

some will understand. -buddah

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Oooh!! Me me me!!
I live in Cornwall, UK but have friends and family in Bermuda, the cayman islands, australia, erm, i forget more.... lots in france and around Europe.

Thats such a cool idea, we never did anything that interesting at school frown
Though one time we got a load of helium balloons and tied a bit of paper with the schools address and our names on it, let them go and see how far it went. Think mine went into next doors garden and got eating by the dog... umm

All in good fun! Good luck Pele's lil un!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele!
I did a project like this when I was in Primary School and I kept all the postcards that I received - I have so many awesome memories from it....!
I'd love to help out if you need people still....
I'm in Armidale, Australia - but I have some good friends who'd definitely do it in Ireland, Jamaica, America, Canada, England and New Zealand....
Let me know if I can be of any help..... wave
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele,
Maybe you could compile list on here of everyone that has offered to send the letter on, map out a journey for it, then post the list on here.....then send it to the first person and we can take it from there....! Just a thought....
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'd be willing to write him a postcard!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I'll help yah out Pele. I'm in Kamloops, British Columbia (Canada).

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alrighty... got a letter home stating that they want it to go international first if possible, so the game plan is this...I am going to get it off to the North East Canada this week.
From there it will go to the Ireland and UK volunteers...and then we will figure out a way to get it across Europe and such. If it all works out well, we can get it to British Colombia and then start it one the US leg to close it. The teacher suggested those of us with alot of volunteers coordinate.
I saw the letter my son wrote and the picture he drew, it is really cute.

At each stop a person will have to send a postcard to my son at his school, not collect them along the way. Then s/he will have to put it in a new envelope and send it to the next person. So....

Right now I am asking for the addresses of everyone (through PM or Email please) and I will co-ordinate a list to stick in the envelope, at least up to the end of the UK leg. Each subsequent name can be crossed off and passed on to the next person. We can figure out Europe after that.

Thank you all again, so much for the help! It means the world to my son and I!

Pele

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...first of all...my geography sucks so I really need help (oh and I started PM-ing people for their addresses) where is Oman?

Next is the list:

I have two in Halifax Nova Scotia: Orange Bobo and Flipmodius

Next I would like it to go to Big Dav in N. Ireland and then to Jafar.

From there it should go through England, and here is where the list gets fun:

Polythene: London/Surrey

Beth: Cornwall

Funkymonkey: Oxford

Simian: London

Custom Bug: Telford/Shropshire

Dyke Boy: London

Mechhead: Stafford, UK

Sir Sheep: London

Pink..?: Surrey

Dom

Here is where I have no idea the fasted route around UK, so I need help. While it is there I wouldn't mind someone in Wales or Scottland either, but if not that is okay. I do, however want it to end with Dom so he can mail it to himself in Malta (that is just too funny). Then I think it will backtrack a bit though and I would love to have it go to someone in France. Then I think it should go to Cheshire Cat and Vanize in Germany.

From there I think to Vanize's friend in South Africa (if that is alright with her) and then on to Narr in Oman. From there I will need help again figuring out geography...

Australia:

Pyro-Tech: Newcastle

Margita: Brissy

Arsn: Gold Coast, Queensland

Rozi (if willing): Sydney

Flynt (if willing): Melbourne

Gnor: Perth

From there to New Zealand and Valura's Nana and then to Malcolm.

I really would like it to hit the Asian section of the world, and am still working on that (any help or suggestions are welcome!).

From there I think it will go to Kaji-Kun in British Colombia, Canada

and then through the US...

Kinudin: S. Cali

Spritie: Texas

ViciousVixen: Oklahoma

Thorn: Minnesota

Lightning: Michigan

Regyt: NYC

People are still welcome to add into this! The more the merrier!

And I have no idea what the fastest postal route would be here so your input is so completely valued.

Also, please if you move let me know! It is sooooo important that everyone keep up this moving because it is a school project.

Thank you so much everyone, really. I get all teary thinking about the enthusiasm. Noah and I are going to make a collage of the post cards at the end of the project and take a picture to share with all of you. Also, we can use this thread to keep everything tracked.

Thanks! ubblove hug beerchug ubbrollsmile

Pele

PS: when you send me your addresses, can you please include a real name as well? Makes it easier to mail! wink ubblol
EDITED_BY: Pele (1069735065)

Pele

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I'd love to be involved! Will pm my address to you right away,

Do you have an eta for when it would be arriving wherever??

xoxoxox
Flynter

Currently on the right side up of the world.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Flynt, you were going to be apart of this even if you didn't know... we were going to send them to Rozi and then on to you...

and if you you don't like it... blame Valura... cos I don't want to take the wrap for this part of the game... tongue spank
EDITED_BY: arsn (1069810225)

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
I'll do it I'll do it! I'm in CT and I've got a few people that I could send it to! *PM's addy right away*

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
hi pele,
i live in london and i know u have lots of friendly londoners already but i also have friends in wales who could help include that part of the world,and my kids would love it!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I know a fire spinner in Tokyo that would almost certainly enjoy participating if you want to get Japan in the game. I'll email her and ask.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

sophxxmember
10 posts

Posted:
hey pele smile

i rekon

1: Cornwall
2: Surrey
3: London
4: Oxford
5: Telford
6: Stafford

thats working from the bottom of england upwards, but if u wanted to go from ireland to scotland, then wales, then start from no 6 and go down to number 1!!!!

i think thats right... anyone in uk agree??

i live in surrey if you need another...

good luck with the project smile

sophxx

did you know that there are more plastic flamingos in the usa than real ones?

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
If you want to send it via the beautiful Cotswolds then I would love to join in. From the list above it would go between 4 and 5. It would also be a good stop over on the way to Wales if you get any volunteers from there. I will pm you my address. smile

Poi... it's an obsession.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Here is where I have no idea the fasted route around UK, so I need help.

To be honest it won't make much difference which way you post it round the uk, aparts from keeping the London's together. Most post here is next day throughout the country so as long as there's a route it'll be cool

*takes off boring work logistics head and puts spinning head back on*

weavesmiley]

Let's relight this forum ubblove

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
if it is not too late... i will help
i am in indiana, United States

email me at justin_shafer@hotmail.com

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
this really is turning into 'the internationaly HoP relay, V 2.0'.....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
Would love to help if you are still interested? Can send a postcard from lovely (?)sunny (?) Manchester! Will PM you my address.

And why didn't I get to do cool things like this at school? - We just did the whole balloon that went the furthest thing - and mine never got very far!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Australia:

Pyro-Tech: Newcastle
Margita: Brissy
Arsn: Gold Coast, Queensland
Rozi (if willing): Sydney
Flynt (if willing): Melbourne
Gnor: Perth

I have a few more ppl to add to that list, if you'd like. There is also

(andrew): Tasmania
Jimba : Darwin

I'll ask them, cos i'm sure theyd love to be involved! and i can provide addresses for you as well

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Hi,

I'm in Ireland also. I noticed you've already got BigDav & Jafar on your list, but I'll be in Italy for Christmas (heading out on the 20th) and I noticed there aren't any Italian entries yet. Just a suggestion....

I'll pm you my address

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alrighty...

I didn't receive addresses from some people so it is going out on Monday. I put a list in the envelope covering Ireland and UK up to Dom. I will organize Europe and Aus after that and send it to Dom, and while in Aus I will update the US portion.
Anyway, the list is on the blue page, so just cross your name off and send it, with the rest of the letter, to the next addy. In other words, each person will have to do two mailings...one of a postcard to my sons school, and one of the letter to the next person on the list! wink

However, my son wrote a letter with instructions as well, just in case someone forgets.

I have had a few people ask if they can include other things with the postcard (like penants, posters, a photo of their own, etc..) Please feel free. If you have kids and want them involved then please have them write a letter to include. I think that would especially be lovely. Keep in mind the age of these kids is 8 and 9 years of age. wink

Right now it will be going to (in this order)

BigDav, Ireland
Faberge, Ireland
Jafar, Ireland
Zeuya, Huddersfield
Mechhead, Staffordshire
Wizz, Cheltenham
FunkyMonkey, Oxfordshire
Sir Sheep, London
Dyke Boy, London
Allie, Manchester
and then to Dom in Malta.

From here I will email Dom the updated list to include with the letter when he sends it on. Anyway, watch for it in the next few weeks!
If you still wish to participate and you are not on the list for UK, please PM me your addy and where it fits in the list for geographic ease.
If you are from any point East (France, Italy, Germany, etc...) or know someone who is there and wanting to participate...please post here or PM me your addy and I would be honoured to include you.

I have to tell you that Noah is soooo very excited about this (well, I am too! wink ). He asks me about it everyday. He is really curious as to what you all have to say, and to see what postcards you choose.

From the bottom of my heart thank you, really. This means so much to us!
ubblove hug
Pele

Pele

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Heee heee heee, I'm all excited now biggrin
Eyes peeled like carrots ubbrollsmile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Kellymember
43 posts

Posted:
Hey I am in London and my sis is in Edingburgh if you would like us to participate! Also parents in Banbury and Grandparents in Wales.

Let me know!

Kelly

Willing to be taught....learn quick and man I am good with a whip!

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
Yeay...I made the list. I am going to start looking for a postcard now. wave

Poi... it's an obsession.

Page: