Forums > Social Chat > What to do when you're stuck?

Login/Join to Participate

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
I searched and didn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been discussed before-But what do you do when you're stuck?I have really cut down on the amount of time I spin lately, i think largely 'cause I just don't seem to be moving forward... Can't seem to get a BTB weave, or a 4 or 5 beat weave... stuff that seems to need to be more fluid isn't getting there, etc. I think it'd probably really help if I found people around to learn from . So what do you do to get off a plateau and start feeling like you're *learning* again? Spinning's still fun, just not as fun as when I felt I had a new move or 2 every few days. I only started in May-is a 6 month slump a common thing? Maybe it just means I'm moving to more advanced stuff that takes a little longer. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Advanced stuff does take longer. With perserverence you will get it. In the meantime just enjoy spinning to relax, to have fun, not to get that charge out of two moves a day (which is quite the self-confidence booster really). I slump all the time for a few days at a time. In the meantime I practice a different toy. Get out and do something else. Then one day BAM! Inspiration strikes me and I am back at it with all the fever of before and usually those pesky moves that were kicking my ass just seem to come naturally.We're all different in our learning curves. Just give it some time.Good luck! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

hi-phymember
2 posts

Posted:
could NOT have said it better...getting frustrated is all part of it...but NEVER quit... who knows you could be the next Jo Derry... or Xaeda or... ME :B

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Remember why you started to spin in the first place. Because its fun. Keep it that way. Why pressure yourself into trying to learn moves everytime you pick up your poi. Just pick up your poi, blast some tunes, spin and enjoy. Trust me, the moves will come.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It depends where you are stuck. If you're stuck in a tree - I have a ladder you can borrowIf you're stuck in a cat flap - you're dafter than you lookIf you're stuck on the Times crossword - the answer to 13 down is scrambled eggsIf you're stuck in a tarpit - you maybe a wooly mammothif you're stuck to a model airplane - you've misunderstood the concept of glue sniffingif you're stuck in traffic - shooting at other drivers may not be the best policy (no matter how tempting)If you're stuck like glue - face facts, you may actually be glueIf you're stuck in a conversation with someone you dont like - simply say "Sorry you're boring me!" and walk away.if you're stuck for what to get me for Christmas - a glowstaff never offendsIf you're stuck in an elevator - talk to an invisible friend on your hand to relieve the boredom and scare the crap out of the other occupantsIf you find yourself with clowns to the left of you and jokers to the right. I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you. But you're stuck in the middle.I hope this is of some help to you....------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
You've surpassed yourself with that one Cantus . . . I'm *Stuck* for words tongue

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
May I suggest the purchase of a thesaurus?

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
most physical skill learning follows a rapid rise - plateau - rapid rise pattern.Stick with it, keep twirling keep having fun and soon enough, you will be pulling off that five beat no worries. smile smoothness is however just a matter of practice...keep practicing with the flow in mind...it will happen dude! smileJosh