Posted:
Stuck at work... where can I please find more info o the netthanksCass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
Try to look at cnn.com or msnbc.comTheir servers are muy busy, but give it a shot.It's looking like a plain, old accident. Took off from JFK, got across the water and crashed in Queens. It was heading for Santo Domingo, in Dominican...

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Lots of news sites are maxed out already. All the info I have is as follows:An American Airlines 767 on its way to John F Kennedy airport crashes in a residential area of New York.At least four buildings in the Rockaway Beach area of the city's borough of Queens are on fire. It is not known why the aircraft crashed or how many people were on board, or in the buildings now ablaze. New York Mayor Rudolph Guiliani is on his way to the crash site and has called a level one alert. There is no indication at the moment that the crash is anything other than an accident. The weather was crystal clear when the plane went down. All three airports serving New York - JFK, Newark and La Guardia - are now closed.The Dow index dropped 200 points on hearing the news.Also:The flight was heading for Dominican Rep originally. Possible report of debris falling from the sky.(ie maybe blown up mid air?).And thats all I know so far.

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Try https://www.ananova.com/
seems to be up most of the time.I've got a news stream open. Sounds like engine failure as debris was seen falling. It crashed in Queens, into 4 buildings. It's an Airbus, probably 250 on board.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
www.nytimes.com is running fine, but it doesn't have anymore information than the other sites mentioned. apparently, they have ruled out terrorism already, but I don't see how.any word from NYC? (the guy, not the city)

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC is OK smileStill can't figure out whether it was accident or not. all the servers are completely busy, but Dom, your is still running !!!thanks a lot !!!Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I've gotten through to some news sites and they are not considering this to be a terrorist act, probably from initial reports from air traffic control (in my opinion). Early reports say the right engine exploded - surely the fighters patrolling New York's air space would have seen something?My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
American Airlines jet crashes after takeoff in New YorkBy Diego Ibarguen, Associated Press, 11/12/01NEW YORK – An American Airlines jetliner en route to the Dominican Republic with 255 people aboard crashed moments after takeoff today from Kennedy Airport, setting homes ablaze. There was no immediate word of any survivors aboard the plane.Bush administration officials said the FBI believed an explosion occurred aboard the plane. But a senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: "It's looking like it's not a terrorist attack, but we can't reach a firm conclusion yet."Still, the city – on edge after the Sept. 11 attack in which hijacked airliners brought down the World Trade Center -- was put on high alert.Fighter jets flew over the scene in the Rockaway section of Queens. All metropolitan-area airports -- Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark, N.J. – were closed, and international flights were diverted to other cities. Bridges and tunnels were closed to incoming traffic. The United Nations was partially locked down, and the Empire State Building was evacuated.Flight 587, an Airbus A300 with 246 passengers and nine crew members aboard, went down at 9:17 a.m. in clear, sunny weather in the waterfront neighborhood 15 miles from Manhattan. The densely populated section is home to many firefighters who were among the dead and the rescuers at the Trade Center.Witnesses reported hearing an explosion and seeing an engine and other debris falling off the flaming jet as it came down.A plume of thick, black smoke could be seen miles away; flames billowed high above the treetops. At least 15 people were reported injured on the ground.Jennifer Rivara said she was looking out a window from her home about five blocks from the scene. "I saw pieces falling out of the sky," she said. "And then I looked over to my left and I saw this huge fireball, and the next thing I know, I hear this big rumbling sound. I ran to the door and all I saw was big black smoke.""I heard the explosion and I looked out the window and saw the flames and the smoke," said Milena Owens, who lives two blocks from the crash site and was putting Thanksgiving decorations on her window. "And I just thought, `Oh no, not again."'In Washington, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said there were no "unusual communications" from the cockpit. And a senior administration official said that no threats against airplanes had been received.The National Transportation Safety Board was designated the lead agency in the investigation, signaling that authorities have no information other than that a mechanical malfunction – and not a terrorist attack -- brought down the plane.In 1996, TWA Flight 800 left Kennedy Airport for Paris and crashed off Long Island, killing all 230 people aboard. The NTSB concluded the jet was destroyed by a fuel tank explosion, probably caused by a wiring spark.In Washington, President Bush met with advisers, seeking details of the crash. A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said intelligence agencies, the FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration were reviewing all recent intelligence for any signs that terrorism was involved.At the Pentagon, two defense officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said no additional fighters had been dispatched to the New York area and that the entire matter was being handled by the FAA as a domestic disaster with no apparent military implications.Mayor Rudolph Giuliani canceled his morning events and headed to the scene, where he said: "People should remain calm. We're just being tested one more time and we're going pass this test, too.""Now we should focus all our efforts on finding survivors," Giuliani said."The first thing that went through my mind is, `Oh, my God.' I just passed the church in which I've been to, I think, 10 funerals here. Rockaway was particularly hard hit. The disproportionate number of the people we lost not just the police and fire, but even the workers at the World Trade Center were from Rockaway and Staten Island."Triage centers were set up a high school and an elementary school, both of which were closed for the Veterans Day holiday.A hospital near the crash site said it treated about 15 people for smoke inhalation and several others for abrasions. All of the injured had been on the ground, not the plane, and none appeared to be critically injured.The plane was lying on top of about 12 homes, said Ed Williams, community liaison for Rep. Gregory Meeks. "It's pandemonium here," Williams said. "We don't know if there are any survivors but it looks really bad.""This community was hit so hard by the Trade Center," said Fern Liberman, who lives a few blocks away. "A lot of firefighters, policemen and we had a lot of people at Cantor Fitzgerald. We were hit very hard. ... Just on the heels of one horror, another."The plane had been scheduled to leave at 8 a.m. and arrive in Santo Domingo at 12:48 p.m. According to the FAA, it took off at 9:14 a.m. and crashed three minutes later."First I heard a big explosion. then I saw flames come out from behind the plane. And then a whole wing with the engine fell off," said Antonio Villela, a construction worker.An engine fell intact on a parking lot at a Texaco station, missing the gas tanks by no more than 6 feet.Witness Phyllis Paul said she heard the plane's engine. "It was very, very loud. Because of what happened Sept. 11, it gave me a chill," she told CNN. "It was getting louder and louder and I looked out the window. I saw a piece of metal falling from the sky."Jackie Weiss, 50, a secretary at Rockaway High School, said an engine fell on a house down the street from hers."I'm really devastated," she said. "My own son was telling me, when I was upset by the World Trade Center, `But you didn't lose any family members.' But seeing something like this ... I feel the world is coming to an end."In the Dominican Republic, relatives of passengers crowded Santo Domingo's airport, sobbing and grasping each other after hearing about the crash."Oh my God!" said Miriam Fajardo, crying after being told that her sister and three nephews were aboard. "I hadn't seen them in eight years. Now they're gone."The Trade Center was destroyed by two Boeing 767s hijacked out of Boston's Logan Airport. One of the planes was operated by American, the other by United.Airbus said American Airlines has a fleet of 35 A300s. ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup, fine. Bridges and tunnels are reopened. I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of speculation on this one. Keep in mind that aircraft crash investigations take months so EVERYTHING you hear right now is a lie. But the news has to say something right? Ug.Not to belittle the tragedy of today but a plane skidded off of the runway and crashed into the water a few years ago just outside of JFK. A rescue worker asked a soot covered man walking out of the water if he was from the plane crash. He sarcastically replied "No, I took a wrong turn off the f*cking freeway."Gotta love New Yorkers. No wonder where I get my sense of humor.Be safe everyone.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They have been speculating between bomb or simple engine trouble for the last hour. Either way it breeds more hysteria and I am glad I don't have stock in American Airlines!ALong a similar note, last week the FBI caught two men here in my sleepy little town. They are believed to be affiliated with Taliban and were asking questions about Niagara Falls in a restaraunt they were in here in town (nothing strange there really). When arrested they were found to have breifcases full of maps of big Eastern US cities, power plants layouts and explosives. It made the evening news and then was hushed completely up. Nothing more was heard of it. Make you wonder doesn't it?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Damn, been a lot of death in the news lately, been a hell of an Autumn for The City. Hope no one lost anybody...N8.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...