Forums > Social Chat > Speed->Length->Weight->Style

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Last night I learned my lesson on the speed of the music dictating the style of spinning... I'd recently been playing with shorter and lighter poi (which, of course, spin much faster) mostly to techno speed music. I lit up to a slowish song and felt like a fish out of water. Having to slow down to keep the beat of the music was next to impossible with short chains. I kept loosing momentum at the top of my arc and even choked for a second on a wrap that was far too slow. (Kutos to Adam for the leather welding sleeve advice, saved my arm dude!) My short, light poi simply refused to slow down in the style I was used to spinning. Yeah, I could have gone off the beat but I like to play with the music when I spin. Later I spun with faster music much more in resonance with the length and weight of my poi. HUGE difference. I had a blast.Yeah, yeah... I should learn how to lengthen and shorten my chains on the fly (on my list of things to do after: Behind the back weave and butterfly alternating arm wraps.)The real moral of the story for ME was: If you don't feel the music, don't light up.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
There's nothing worse then going to a festival with all your gear setting up awaiting the band. Then your standing there rdy to light and go when suddenly the band starts playing something you know you have no chance of matching too. Ahhh well there's always the option of spinning to the sounds of the fire.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
i reckon that the fire fits the music whatever it is. The fire has its own beat which always goes with the music. maybe it doesnt feel that way when you are doing it but if you watch other people its like the fire has a musical pattern all of its own.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
How about Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring by Bach?

Meh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
For slow music you can always go doubletime...For fast music you can always go on every other beat...It's ones inbetween that are annoying! lolI love short poi smile lost of super fast windmills and arm twists and stuff... trouble is, if you make them relly really short (like 25-30cm), you stop being able to do the 5bt weave...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x