Forums > Social Chat > Help! invasion of the killer ANTS from Mars!

Login/Join to Participate

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey all...This has nothing to do with poi, I just need some advice...As it is getting warmer here, in the land of down under. Ants have decided that out house is a pretty cool place to live and have started invading us. I think they like the psy-trance music and the poi. Possibly not???....anyway, I was wondering best ways of getting rid of them, and them not coming back. Preferably ways that don’t kill them – much.Any suggestions?And yes I am expecting non-serious suggestions too, because I know you can't resist! grin------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
make a large sugar trail to your neighbors house and let them deal with it...or invite them in for dinner and cook the worst possible meal you can dream up

anyone got a light?

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I'm sure that if you just dump a bunch of chemicals into their hill they will all die.The comercials say Raid works well.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
PLanting different herbs around your house, i think its mint that keeps ants away, so perhaps making a mint spray to spray around the doorways to help keep them outside?Do a search on natural pesticides or something.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
why not change the music?Try that Pink Panther song that goes something like: dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, da ba da de ba da!nexus_sun

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hire two daddy long legs'. they'll keep the ants out of mischief.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

odegramember
3 posts

Posted:
find where they're getting in and spray it with talcum powder. it's won't do you any harm, but they hate the stuff!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As they come in give them all rollerskates. They'll be too busy trying not to fall on their thoraxs to cause any mischief.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have a sugar trial. With candy-coated lawyers and a jelly donut judge."I call the next witness for the defence: The Sugar Plum Fairy!"

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Offer them tea and cake. My Aunt is always drinking tea. And when she's had her fill she always leaves again.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is that why you want me as a neighbour Kat?So you can use Pozee's idea and infest me? [This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 09 November 2001).]

Meh

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
If u go to a health food shop they sell this herbal pesticide that deters them but does not kill them. Cant remeber what its called but i did see it when i was in oz.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Buy an ant eater.Get that one that used to be on the pink panther show. He has a really good sense of humour. Pets that can make you laugh are a bonus.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
Talk to your ants. they seem to listen...tell them life is so much sweeter out side, negotiate maybe you can pump psy trance from some speakers out side...make them some tiny visuals, and an itty bitty black light...

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
I think that this can all be settled out of court. I mean the family courts have so much to deal with nowadays, getting a restraining order would be kinda pointless.So......i think what you should do is, get a bunch of fake crickets (of the isect variety....though fake) and just put them up outside your door. Then make a sound recording of the bits in "A bugs Life" where the crickets are gonna kill em all if they don't gather lots of food.Then the ants will get so scared that they will go and harvest lots of grain and other edible materials, that you not only solve your ant problem, but you can also make home make bread grinIf this doesn't work, get some of those surface sprays. Insects don't like to cross over them. Just spray around your doors, windows wherever else they are getting in. No dead ants, no going to hell or get resurected as a cockroach. smileCheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
2 herbs that ants don't like and will avoid are Tansy and Pennyroyal. Maybe u could plant a border of them around the house.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Apparently Pennyroyal has other purposes too if you have to wee in a cup for certain tests.I was talking with an exterminator the other day and he said that talcum powder works - he said that under the microscope it looks like very small sharp fibres and it actually cuts the ants to death - pretty violent ending!Could try to treat them like Stevie Nicks and use a biro.... wink

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Bl@@dy H@ll Cantus, have you got no work to do today? tongue (sooooo many posts!)As for the ant problem I recon you should start practicing really hard moves, inside, with fire. That way when you drop your Poi and set fire to the house you will get rid of the ants too grin ------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
My Grandad recommends DDT (he has a tin of it in his garage in Perth WA!)I'm not quite sure whether the law is quite the same in Adelaide as it in Perth (just 'round the corner right??), but I'm sure he'd lend you the tin anyway.Oldies - gawd bless 'em.You should hear what he's got to say about (*insert a random contraversial subject here*)!Good luck with your formic friends!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Fire ants are a huge problem in Texas. What we have found that works wonderfully is to sprinkle the perimeter of your house (or lawn) with cinammon. Doesn't harm the ants, but definitely deters them. For some reason, they seem to hate the stuff and will avoid crossing its path. Works great when we are camping as we don't have to deal with the pesky critters getting into our food. Not a clue why it works, but it does a really good job.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Buy some REALLY big, as in Clown size shoes and practice your fire-poi in their path. Some will get stamped on, others will get burnt by flaming paraffin and others will get poisoned by it. The best part is that as you stamp around more will come and see what the noise is about (or is thar worms...)Mind you, this isn't particularly humane.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh and I think that all these powdery things (cinnamon, talcum powder etc) all works because of the way the ants leave a trail where they walk. They can't leave this trail on powder so don't cross it. I might have made this up------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'll send you three or four New York City cockaroaches. They'll get the place straightened up in no time. Small velvet rope, start charging the ants a $25 cover charge, top notch grasshopper DJs, light and sound system. You'll make a fortune.Then the ants will start bitching about how trendy it all got and they'll start hanging out at your neighbors. Problem solved.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
don't miss the opportunitysee my new book, Poi for Ants$15.99 from HOP bookstoresextract;"... Ants are unique in the world of poi, once they have been domesticated and taught to walk on their hind legs, they can use the remaining 4 legs for some rocking poi work, double thrread the needle, Four poi 13 beat chase and some wicked leg wraps..."Now if only you had fire ants...Nexus - nice onelots of gloves Glass

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Mark P, check out the times I made the posts.

Meh