Forums > Social Chat > I was offered money for twirling!?!

Login/Join to Participate

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I rode my bike down to the beach this afternoon to twirl on the sand. I wasn't gonna use fire so I just took my practice poi. It was waayy too windy on the beach so I headed off up the hill to a grassy knoll (no gunmen wink) sheltered from the wind by trees.I was practising for about a half hour or so then a bunch of kids (~30) with 6 or so adults decided to cross the road. The kids immediately sat down in an arc around me CRAP!!!I thought "OK - only practising anyways, justkeep it simple and don't try anything too fancy!"They were very receptive to my simple, amateur twirling and even tried to pay me! I said I didn't want it. I might have taken it if I was twirling fire, but since I knew what I was doing was definitely not performance level I didn't want to take it.After a while I packed up my stuff and the kids decided they wanted a photo, so they gathered round while I was packing up and took a picture!!! One of the adults told me, after the others had moved on that they were from a local school on a sleep over.I recommend for anyone who is thinking about performing to try and get an audience of kids, they were very appreciative and easily amused!!!------------------Take thy beak from out my heart,and take thy form from off my door!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I couldn't agree with ou more Bendy!!! Kids are the most ego boosting audience! I think with fire as long as you make the necessary warnings (don't try this at home) it is even more fun. I performed for nearly 400 3rd,4th,and 5th graders a couple months ago. A couple hid their faces behind their hands peeking through their fingers but on the whole I have **never** had people scream "Do it again" so loudly! And afterward their comments, questions and appreciation was equally as amazing.On the flip side, they can be brutal too. I did a show with Prometheus for a girl scout event once. Ummmmm....wow! He did staff and I did poi and those little girls boo-ed him terribly. Not that he was doing bad, he just wasn't a girl. Kids can be so fickle! smileCongrats Bendy! I hope you have many more experiences like this as it makes all the frustration sooooo worht it!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Nice one bendy!! to carry on from the kids thing: my toughest audience ever was a group of about fifteen 9 year old boys... what little bastards!they thought they were very funny coming out with stupid comments, asking me if I was gonna burn the house down etc. and once one of them started, they all tried to outdo each other with misbehaving.it sucked.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
My second fire show was a birthday party for about 25 12-15yrs olds. They were awesome to play too! They started clapping and whooping even before we lit up. They hyped the whole expierence up. Even when we stuffed up a little they cheered!!! and when we did the fire blows they were totally amazed. even asked if they could try (we told them in a friendly but stern way that that would be out of the question.) Anyway I find kids the most entertaining... then again the adults did give us nice money tips, kids don`t really give u money. But i`m not in it for the money.Kids Rule.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Its amazing how innovative they are as well. I danced for my 3 godkids and the youngest (he's about 5) disappeared and returned with a hand pump and a toy on the end of a bit of string, which he proceeded to swing around. aarh

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
Kids are the best...them seeing you doing something that they can't always inspires them to have a go at it...i have spent many hours helping kids learn and they pick up tricks so quick....they are really receptive...when we were doing shows and selling our toys in Darwin we would do spontanious workshops at the back of our stall...so many kids loved the fluffy poi so much...and came back every week and practiced with us until they could afford them, (but we ended up giving loads away)...kids are great when you are busking , you can play with them and trick them, often i have ended up being chased aroud parks by cheeky kids!!!they are so receptive, they are by far my favourite audience..."dance for us again lady..your beautiful!!!"

Ignitusmember
1 post

Posted:
I am a kid, I often enjoy amusing myself. :P I can't often swing because I'm usually told to put them away... I guess poi look a bit too dangerous to some people. smile So I juggle or yo-yo or throw a top or diabolo when I'm not allowed to swing my poi. smile-Ignitus

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Yeh im a kid too (14) and i know all about stuff looking too dangerous. Ive been wanting to light up for about half a term (i guess not too lot) but i feel ready for it and to be deprived of the experience... just count yourself lucky you lucky adults, you dont have to deal with people trying to kill you 24 hours a day. Its true you can get nice kids but anyone over 12 and below at least 16 are just murderous. I would know ive been to 3 different schools and there not much better than each better. I long for the time when i get a job and get payed to work an 11 hour day. *gulp* Sorry i went into a personal rant, i have a problem with them.

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was offered money for a kidney once.By a mysterious foreign gentleman.I turned him down.Next day I woke up in a bath full of ice cubes and a strange scar on my back

Meh

MadGirlBettymember
13 posts

Posted:
It's right about kids being ego-boosting. I had a 2nd cousin today, thinking it was wonderful when I used my practice poi. He's obviously too young to know better :P

mobyginamember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey what a cool thing,there is actually lots of people out there who think fire performance is a special thing! We were asked to do a show at the Arts Council Ball last night (our first real public performance) and it went off!! what a buzz! lots of people just loving it!Makes all the stressing worthwhile.Spread it round!

Share your skills so others may grow

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Spread it round?Are you thinking of sandwich spread?------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
No Cantus u are still on the Raspberry thread!!But the kidney thing, thats bloody freaky....happened to a friend of a friend, who got seduced and drugged by a womwan one night and woke in a bath of ice the next morning with a big hole in his back......you must have the same freinds as me, hey????

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead