FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi there peeps
I have a big favour to ask - actually its not that big, so, dont all run away!!
Ive just recieved a VHS Vid of the EJC (thanks BlueCat and good luck on ya travels!)
What I wanna do is transfer it to CD, but I have no idea how to do this. HELP!!??
I do have a Mustek DV4000 Vid camera, which ive just bought. If anyone could give me some advice on using too, this my attempt at Fire Filming have turned out shite!!
Ive read abit of a thread on FireWire, whats that all about?
So: VHS to Digi - How?
Tips on Fire Filming?
FirwWire, What?
Sums it up really

Thanks to all, oh and im going to Sri Lanka on Friday, so quick as ya like!!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
VHS works as an analogue connection in which you will need
1:a TV IN card, you can purchase them very cheaply now adays.
Using AV leads you can simply connect your VCR to your PC and capture the footage via a capture / editing suite such as premiere.

2: firewire is simply the same thing but with a digital connection, the advantage of digital you can transfer your edited videos back to your camcorder providing it is a digital camcorder and not analogue.

3: you can send your edited videos to VHS too with the aid of a TV OUT card and works as a reverse of the first statment above.

It is pretty easy to figure out what to do with each piece of hardware and relevant softwares provided with.

Hope this helps.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I know that rob doesnt wish for the EJC to be hosted online untill he has finished rediting and crediting the video.
But good luck with transfering the video to your PC.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
nods in agreement with the rasclat.
also often higher end DV cameras can accept S-Video (Analogue) input via that yellow RCA looking connector. this will convert your VHS stream into A digital video format on the camera's DV tape, which you can further save as a computer file via a USB or Firewire PC-Link.

damn i should help more with less jargon(!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Mustek DV4000

These things arn't proper video cameras, but digital cameras made to look like them. The resolution at a decent frame rate will be rather poor, and i doubt one of this cost will have many options for making adjustments like shutter rate, white balance etc.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Or, you could plug a digital camera in to the back of your VCR, play the tape, press record on your camera, bam, VHS to digital tape quite easily... then plug your digital camera in to your firewire port on your computer, no video capture card needed.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
plan sounds good, but misses 2 key points. Does this mustek device have video inputs? Does it have firewire? I doubt very much it has either.

VHS quality is pretty poor already, you may as well just buy a tv card with video input and run the sound through your soundcard. It'll cost under 25 quid in the uk from a company like www.ebuyer.com