Forums > Videos > one of some, first of many...

Login/Join to Participate

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
'split-time-double-thread-the-needle-with-outwards-360-releases'

Spherculism ~:~ Here to spin

If you want more of this stuff just say the word and i'll upload some more.

Feedback would be nice, especially if flash doesn't work

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
More!

BTW, a little update on my progress. I worked on this a bit yesterday and was able to do it with my right hand. Havent mastered the toss with my left yet. Its tough catching it and keeping it spinning in the same direction as tosses usually change the direction.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*sick* *twisted* *mother* *@@@@@@*

man your coming up with more shit all the time.

man i love it.

keep it coming.

nice site, i checked it out last week, good work.

Look forward to seeing more.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Dude, That ain't the half of it

I've got a date with a video camera on 23rd November. I'm gonna get everything I know down on film. Then i'm gonna analyse it all before the final shoot a couple weeks later

I'm hoping to get some 3d fx in there a well, it's gonna be sweet.

I have learnt SSSOOooooOOOooOOOOO much in the past month. Yum

Trait Of One Eleven Two™: I'm guessing your PK from Te Pooka??? If it is then I was thinking about you the other day. We've started doing these Flesh tunnel plugs at work- that you can put any picture in you like. I was thinking how wicked they would look with fire photos in - You're the only poister i know with phatty tunnels.

Also, I signed up to 'poiinthepark' forum, looks bling bling my friend - PHP NUke??? I'm working on 1 at the moment, we'll have to sort out some cross-mojo-nation

take it easy

m

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Royal: There is a move to learn before the move I posted on that video.

1) Spin Inwards TTN

2) Change direction of right-hand-poi (I usually do this on the back of my left wrist.

3) Right poi bounces off arm, straight round and underneith your left arm.

4) As Right poi reaches 11.55 (almost 12 o'clock) - RELEASE. ie, poi is vertical whenyou release it.

5) Left poi is still just spinning inwards, right poi glides through the air, over left arm, rotates 180 degrees.

6) Catch the poi a 6 o'clock, this changes the direction of the spin. ie, you can slip straight back into inwards TTN.

7) Change direction of Left hand poi on right wrist, throw and catch as above.

Get this move down sweet with both hands, under the leg, behind the back and so on - then move on to 360 degree releases.

hope that helped

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
heylo there. i know your post was a while ago but i just saw that video of yours and i'm totally blown away. i've been doing something sorta halfway kinda like that, just doing a butterfly , wrist wrap into tosses, but on my 3rd and 4th toss i like to toss it up really high and watch it make abunch of spins. what i'm getting at, is i cant figure out how you keep them all so in line with that steady of speed without them going flying through my neighbors window. i completely admire how the tosses stay inside a bigger circle thingy instead of going bazerce. how do you do this? i need some serious tips on tosses and stuff... i'm pretty new to those.......getting better though. oh and also, what poi are you using? and would that kind of poi help at all? hehe you are so awesome biggrin

the kid

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Man. Good to hear you are like the tosses. You'll have them figured out real soon, I promise. I'll put a load up on spherculism.com for you.

Throws and Catches:

Tip 1: Practice, practice, practice. I finally 'let go' about a year ago now and I haven't looked back.

Tip 2: Practice with 1 poi, spinning in butterfly plane, outwards (i find easier) - As it passes under your arm ~ Release ~ You wanna get really slick at catching the poi so that it stops DEAD - pointing straight DOWN. I cannot tell you how crutial this is to every other throw. Get this 'bang on' with both hands.

Tip 3: DO the same as '2' but catch the poi when it points DIRECTLY AWAY FROM THE HAND THAT RELEASED IT. It will then be spinning INWARDS. You will then need to reverse the direction of spin to complete the pattern. This can be done by 'bouncing' off your arm / leg / anything else. Or you can 'Stall' the poi in mid air. Or you could turn your body 180 degrees to face the opposite direction.

Tip 4: Catch the poi so that it continues in the SAME direction as when you released it. So you DON'T need to change direction after the catch. This is a repeating pattern. When ever you notice one of these in your poi you should practice it like this. Spin, spin, spin, throw, catch...(repeat) >>> practice that till it's sweet >>> spin, spin, throw, catch...(repeat) >>> get it slick >>>spin, throw, catch...(repeat) >>>>and finally >>> throw,catch,throw,catch,throw,catch etc >>> do this with both hands then work it all into some kind of butterfly of thread the needle pattern.

Tip 5: You will notice that you will need to 'Throw' the poi slightly differently depending on which type of catch you wish to do. My poi are made of socks, covered with UV (blacklight) stockings. Inside are a pair of 'dog toys'. The handles are knotted several times. It is important to have a small counter weight on the handle end (hence the knots) also, I usually catch the poi 'LOOSELY' slighly up from the handle and then allow my hand to slip down to the handle.

Now 'go practice'

m

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
woo hoo thanks a bunch ^.^ i'll be working on that today.....well and tomarrow.... and however long it takes. *sigh* i've been working on my other one i told you about for around a month now. frown ah well, i'll get it eventually. well thanks again this is gonna be a serious help. biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Nice 1. Glad to be of service.

Here's a link you might find useful - I uploaded them just for you,

Spherculism 'Release' Tutorials

m ubbloco

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
good good these are helping mucho. but theres one thing confusing me ...whats a 3 beat butterfly and a split time ttn? *eeks* , sorry i'm asking you all this stuff i realize your probably busy ......but darn i cant figure poi stuff out too easily. hehe i'm getting better at tosses and stuff though ^.^

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Thread the needle = TTN, there should be a vid of it in HOP tutorials.

I think they do it IN TIME. Each hand does 2 beats EACH. Therefore I call it Base 2

My personal view is that 'thread the needle' is a rediculous name. So I call Any move in which the poi are spinning in opposite directions a butterfly

Split Time TTN = 3 Beat Butterfly. Each Hand does 3 beats. I call this base 3

Double TTN = 4 Beat Butterfly. Each Hand does 4 beats. Base 4.

If you do this split time it has 5 beats per hand (10 in total). This is a '5 beat TTN' or as i prefer 5 beat Butterfly.

So in essence it is all to do with How you break it down. My personal view is that the way in which moves have been broken down thus far is very confusing. Check out a thread called 'Plural Zee Alpha' if you wanna know why.

happy twirling,

m