Forums > Videos > One stop video shop

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Ok here is an idea for all you guys. I have just been offered a great price for a huge upgrade to my site which will allow me to store several gigabytes of files with immense bandwidth. So instead of all the p2p rubbish and the rest of it. How about I store every video available on my website for you guys to upload. I can arrange several different ways for you to upload your files. I can give each video its own webpage that you are free to design for yourselves to put on my server. I can also provide you with stats with how many people have downloaded your videos etc..

I will of course only upload them with permission of each user and full credit will be given to each of those who want it.

Anyways let me know and I can arrange it. Plus for all those who already host their videos I am able to provide a mirror site for you as I can have remote file posting.

What do you think?

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Shokmember
25 posts

Posted:
Thats an AWESOME idea. Count my vid in.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
crazy.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
crazy good or crazy bad?

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Crazy good. Im in the process of making my first poi video and will need a host. This is god sent!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
ok for all those who need me to host a video PM me and let me know and I will arrange it within a few days. Although the upgrade will not happen until the end of the month. So anyone needing very large files hosted should wait til then.

I am already hosting a few other files at the moment. There is a link to my website on my profile

[ 22. October 2003, 09:49: Message edited by: Jez ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
dayum, man that's massiv generous.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Will we have to know you/be a known member to host things, or could anyone host things? I'm not exactly known on these forums but I'm in the process of making a fire video, and I'm in need of a host.

By the way, I think eventually you should ask for donations, you'll be doing the poi community a HUGE favor and the least we could do is chip in a few bucks to support his bandwith.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Every fibre of my being is opposed to your crazy idea of makeing a place where people can share their arts with others. <-annoying stephanie tanner style "NOT"

Ofcourse I mean crazy good.

I actually hesitate to use the word crazy in a negative way.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
No you do not need to be a known member or anything like that. The point is to have one massive resource storing loads of vids so everyone is welcome aboard.

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I finished a poi video a few weeks ago nobody on here aprt from PK has seen it he said it was pretty good,
i am hopng to get copyright on the tunes i have used, if i do i'll put it up.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yeah silver shaddows dvd was awsome and fun to watch! the lilt ladies were the best part
i am currently building a content managment site, i will speak with you more later jez, prolly in london next weekend about what i have planned.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Wicked, I have got a few ideas of my own to share. Also silver shadow I spoke to trait last weekend and he told me about the dvd sounds wicked. He said he was going to try to bring the dvd with him to show me so I look forward to it!

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Will we have FTP access, or have to send you videos beforehand? Bandwidth/File size restrictions? (Beyond the absolutely insane large files that no one could possibly host)

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I am hoping to avoid ftp access until there is a more secure method. But if it is required then so be it.

As far as file size is concerned please compress your files to the absolute maximum of 50mb, if there are too many people giving me files this size that may have to be reduced. Bandwidth is not a concern at the moment as the bandwidth maximum is 50gb and I can increase that on the fly if necessary.

As far as donating is concerned, at the moment it is a free service but.. I will put a google ad banner on there to get some income, I will also consider having a private members pass for those who want to upload with a one off fee for as many uploads as they want.

However these are just ifs and maybes depending on the popularity of the site.

For now PM me and I will arrange a method for you to upload. However as mentioned before the upgrade is not until the end of the month so only the smaller vids will go up straight away.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
This is a PM that I posted to someone asking me about the procedure and what the layout should be...

The current plan was to make sure all the pages which will be your video pages should adhere to the rest of the jez.i8.com layout including background colour, font size and type. Other than that the content is free for you to place pictures or whatever info you deem worthy for your videos. The plan was to still give some creative freedom for those wanting to upload to the site as long as it fits in with the rest of the webpage.

If I have to edit the pages you create, it will not be content based but purely aesthetical to fit in with what is already there.

Therefore what I need from each person uploading a video is

1. The video file
2. Html page for that file
3. Any pics which accompany the html so that the links work.

Be aware though that I may ask for changes to be made but all of those will be discussed with you first.

I do not want the process to be overly complicated and if you want me to build the html file then I will do but you will still have to email me what you want written.

Hope that makes things clearer!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
u need content managment system on your site mate! i am waiting for one right now that will fit with the stuff i have been working on for the past 6 months.
jez i have a proposal for you but would need to talk in person and basically i think if you agreed and i think you would, your plans would fit tightly amongst mine and run combined. But also this would suit a lot of other people.

wooohooo new smilie

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey mate i make CMS's for a living too - does your server support ASP pages and a SQL server 2000 transaction server?
if so, i can just refashion one of my old cms's and use your site's style in it's template. ohhh dynamic content!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
quote:
Also silver shadow I spoke to trait last weekend and he told me about the dvd sounds wicked. He said he was going to try to bring the dvd with him to show me so I look forward to it!

Well Jez i hope u enjoy i will try get copyright but i dont know yet how much it will cost.
Tell me what you think if you get to see it

[ 23. October 2003, 21:26: Message edited by: TheSilverShadow ]

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Not sure bender check out www.i8.com and look at the top package to find out. Not too clued up on technical website scripts I'm afraid but my site has just added cgi access if that helps.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I'm intrigued by what you may have planned I certainly look forward to when you come down PK.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the top package that i8 promote will be suficient to run CMS.

myplans kick into action tommorrow as soon as i get started on it.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
looks like a eunichs srv to me, but whatta great deal on bandwidth ey..Just curious guys, you usin xml for those content management systems? I use .net, sql n heavy use of xml for mine, allows for transformations to alot of diff formats, like pdf, wireless markup language, RSS, n of course html.

, sorry, cms is a fascination for me too eh

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
As promised here it is

Deleted link til problems fixed

Upload your own vids here and download as well!!

Told you I would come through

[ 15. November 2003, 20:58: Message edited by: Jez ]

1,148 posts

Posted:
was there any doubt? nice one, I'll be uploading some soon, so lemme go ahead n say thnx

peace

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't like messages like:

Warning: Could not execute mail delivery program in /www/cgi/modules/Your_Account/index.php on line 146

I don't think I'm ever going to get a confirmation e-mail.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

1,148 posts

Posted:
sendmail problems?

Ars Pyronomica

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I know about problems I am on the case. will delete above link 4 a while til fixed.

I can manually add users so if you want to upload sooner PM me and I will create a user manually

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I deleted from the database any previous attempts at registration.
I am looking into this problem right now to figure out whats what.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
What about for those of us who have no website designing background? I don't feel comfortable making a website that'll be of high enough quality to look decent compared to the rest... will there be a hosting-only option, without the page?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
basically all you will have to do is upload your file to a folder via the website once jez has sorted all the bugs out in the site.

no designing of web pages or nothing.

though jez 50mb is a lot! i think 15max is suficient, think how many people in the long run are gonna use the feature nad how much webspace that is gonna take up!

Page:

HOP Newsletter