Forums > Videos > In the market for a camcorder

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im looking to buy a digital camcorder. Im really not sure what to look for though. Im looking in the 250$ - 300$ USD range and have been mainly browsing Ebay. What makes a good digital camcorder though. Really the only things Ive been looking at are the resolution (most seem to be 680,000px). Anyone have any tips or suggestions on good cameras?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
You're really not going to get anything spectacular for 300 dollars, unfortunately. I assume you're going to want a digital camera, not analog, and to get a camera good enough for home movies, poi videos, etc., you're probably going to end up spending closer to the 500-700 dollar range, unfortunately.

Sony and Canon are the leading video camera companies, they have nice products with nice warrenties.

Look for a large zoom (NOT digital zoom, digital zoom is essentially worthless), included charger, high resolution (of course), decent sized LCD screen (2.5 inch+) and included cables and what not... sometimes you don't realize the camera comes with no charger, no firewire cable, no camera bag, and no warrenty I wouldn't suggest buying from ebay, if you break it, which you most likely will, you'll be screwed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im thinking of getting this one:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2956139347&category=30020
Aside from the Ebay/no warranty aspect, is this a good camera? Seems decent to me and is pretty cheap. Need help quick tho cuz the auction ends in an hour and a half.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quality is average/good enough, although the black and white viewfinder is a bit troubling. Framing is quite tough if you can't see your image in color. Comes with a 1 year parts and 90 day labor warrenty which is quite amazing for something bought on ebay. Assuming you are LiquidFlame1 and purchased it, I'd say you'll be happy with it... you'll need to buy a firewire cable and DEFINITELY make sure to purchase a lense cap, before you end up paying him make sure the lense is in perfect condition without any scratches, and when he sends it to cover it with something soft, NOT cotton... cotton will scratch the lense, moreso than leaving it exposed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, my camcorder arrived today! As soon as I get a firewire card for my PC, get some poi footage, learn how to use Premier, and edit it all together, youll be seeing plenty of Royalisceous poi videos.

It wont take as long as it sounds, I promise

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

onekyoungmember
5 posts

Posted:
I am curious to know what you thought of the camera... I am also in the market for a digital camcorder. What type of format does it use to store video and how long does it take to fill up the storage?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, Ive only had it for a day now but so far it seems like a nice camera. Its got more features than Ill probably ever use. I like the fact it has a built in light and that it has sound on the camcorder playback. It stores photos on a little flash card (comes with an 8MB chip) that can hold approx 20 - 25 images and records video on digital video cassettes. The video cassettes I got are 60 minutes but ya may be able to get longer ones.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
*ahem*

i'm very happy with the one i got. Don't pay extra for usb, go for a good company (sony, canon, panasonic, jvc, phillips etc), firewire is essential and if you want to do fire, one with a variable shutter and exposure is needed

onekyoungmember
5 posts

Posted:
Varaible exposure setting
I love fiddling with overexposure (ghosting) and time lapsing !

What particular model do you have flid?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Flid,

Your last post in that thread sounds exactly like what I did. I got the camera for $300 then bought a FireWire Card for $29. I bought a bag for $18 and I already had a tripod. A friend gave me a copy of Premiere last night and Im gonna tape some footage sometime this week/weekend.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Mustek dv 3000 a 3.1 mega-pixel camera..... Anybody encounter one of these yet?
Anybody with video knowledge got and comments or slates....

The reviews seem pretty good though I'm weary that there's no flash...

reviews

more reviews

and even the amazon reviews are all good. Looks like it can be picked up for in and around 125 quidders...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.