Forums > Videos > Doubles video: 'The Joy of Staff' reuploaded

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
My only fire video: 'The Joy of Staff'.

cus every family needs to experience the joy of staff.

dude, you don't wanna know how long i spent thinking up names worse than that!

It's moi performing several doubles sets.

details, credits and links are at the download page.

Only the 4.6Mb low resolution version & the 12.4Mb higher resolution versions are now up, due to the efforts of flid, smallboy and above all jez for storing the fat version.

credits are also due for the firey Zoltar and the loverly katey for filming this piece. i love youse!

all you need to twirl staff is a staff smile

Um this video has been lost of a few year, and now it's been reuploaded... to youtube smile

Alot has happened since August 2003!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Dude!! We ubblove you.

Personally i think you have single handedly reserrected "aggresive" staff. I watch this vid near everyday. Love that footwork and almost all the form is great cept that scene when you nearly burn your eek

Its a shame the divx quality 1 is not as long as the origonal... or is it now?

Im just hoping most of the newbs are training to be half as good as you before moving on to "contact".

/me *praying bender will bring out a new video with some different flying kicks* ubbtickled

6,978 posts

Posted:
jeeze man if you're lookin at it alot, i can sort out a full resolution (720 x 576 pixels) copy of whichever of the two spins you're interested in - i do agree that it's kinda hard to see when it's half the resolution and covered in blocky compression artefacts.
The darker, park twirl i will need Zoltar's permission to re-distribute tho.

I am in the process of creating a follow up, but dun expect energy: being busted-arse means that i cannot run/jog/jump, much less flip/kick to save myself.
In fact, i cannot do gymnastics/martial arts or acrobatics of any sort for another 16 months! I will be what polite types call 'different'
There's old footage of double swords i can capture, but it's dimmer than dark footage.

And thanks for the kindly words - It's hard to guage my fwirlage style unless peoples see it i guess! beerchug

with metta,
Bill

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Hey Bender, my name is Brendan I live in St Kilda and i've met you a couple of times. I've got a reasonable digital camera and I could do some filming of your routine stuff if you'd like. I've got a standard 0.5x wide angle lens, and i'm waiting on a fish eye 0.3x which should be coming in the next couple of weeks.
What program do you use to edit? I've been using premier 6.
I like Div-X compression. It's not easy to slow-mo moves when viewing with media player or real player however.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

6,978 posts

Posted:
ce la vie,
very dog has it's off-day smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just a quick question for dragon...: why would somebody have to learn what i call free spinning before contact spinning?

they are such different things that to say one should come first is really really wrong imo.

admittedly i learnt 'agressive' staff first and it's helped my contact loads. but i teach both to beginners. partly cause a (very) few people just don't get one or the other, and it is nice for them to come away from a class having learnt at least something. partly because i beleive in the idea of no basics. but that was discussed at length in the teaching moves thread and will never be mentioned again wink

if you feel like talking about it we should probly move out of benders thread(sorry for hijack bendy...)

smiles

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
"Along long time ago...I can still remember how, that music, use to make me simle biggrin And I knew if I had my chance, that I could make those people dance...and maybee they'd be happy for awhile..."

Sry was reminiscing...

Quote:

just a quick question for dragon...: why would somebody have to learn what i call free spinning before contact spinning?

they are such different things that to say one should come first is really really wrong imo.

Where to start...umm sry to reply here Bender, i dont wanna start a huge debate about contact vs freestyle, especially in your thread. This should have been PM.

I didnt say they had to..."learn what i call free spinning before contact spinning?" thats just the way that i prefer to learn. From basic's slowly into advanced. (Its unrealistic to think someone could just pick up a staff and do spining kick btl passes)

When i grew up there was no such thing as contact...(i still dont think there is contact, only moves *complete system of both aggressive and contact*) I also believe (its just my opinion) that contact is a move, not a seperate art. Poi and Staves are an art. For example Contact to me is like Hyperloops...hyperloops are amazing cool and highly advanced, but on their own they are nothing, only when you have a complete training in all areas do hyp's have any weight. To me, staff is staff, no matter how you use it.

Everyone has their own "flavor" just like iceream, u may like contact, I may like jumping spining kick btl passes...but who am I to say your opinion is wrong or vice versa.
You know its only an opinion dude... I cant believe im about to get flamed just because alot of people only seem to be able to do contact... because they lack a complete system. (Or fail to express it in their video) ubbangel

In no way am i saying aggressive is better than contact, though i just feel strongly that alot of newbes skip basics and foot work and try to make it up for it, by being awsome at contact, and hope noone notice's. I'v said, I "believe" in a complete system of moves, pretty much what Bender has just demonstrated in his video. (Sry dont mean to drag you into this dude)

You have voiced you opinion, this is just me ubbcrying

*/me seriously concidering retirement* umm frown

(I'll delete this after Blue has a chance to read it)
Plz dont reply to this, just PM me.
*Helter skelter in summer swelter, the birds flew of to the fallout shelter*

6,978 posts

Posted:
nah dun feel bad! this is a healthy debate!
you have the right to express your opinion on staffin' - i just happen to have the same.
people are free to do/not contact, and free to do/not freespin.

we are lucky to have the choice at all!
keep ya post, it's a worthy point.
contact / freespinning = bewdiful mate!
my hat off to both of youse! peace

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
so any chance of getting the video back up again? i rushed into the thread reading the title 'video finally up again' only to find out it wasn't due to the bandwith problem... frown

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I agree, I'd like to see it too :P.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Me too! biggrin biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

6,978 posts

Posted:
yes, me too!
:waves a carrot:

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
*looks puzzled* umm

*starts running after carrot* tongue

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

6,978 posts

Posted:
no yoo can't have it. grow your own or I'll bite your leg off
:waves carrot manacingly:

wenchamuffinBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
The dl isn't working for some reason. Says it can't find your video.

EDIT: Good job not reading the title of the thread, Wench.
EDITED_BY: wenchamuffin (1086042208)

Things go better with a little bit of razzamatazz

6,978 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry - the best i can do right now is to clear out my website from my hosting account (10Mb max) and put the half-resolution version of the file there (4Mb) peace

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
Hey bender, did you end up uploading the lo-rez version of your "the joy of staff" movie? I'd love to see it smile. Btw, incase you remember me i'm the guy with the afro who twirled a fair bit a few years back :P.

Anyway, toodleoo.

- Klaymen

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
*still gazes longingly at manacing carrot*

do you want to swap it for a turnip?

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm im a bit too busy filmin COL footage and handage, sos perhaps the best chance for finding this older vid would be filesharing/other hoppers i guess frown

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
hey, if its under 5 meg I'll host it, or if I get stupid www.spymac.com webspace working I'll host it no matter how big it is. MSN: krusty_klaymen@hotmail.com smile.

- Klaymen

Drag'nmember
8 posts

Posted:
Keep getting server not found.

But if your instructional vids are anything to go by it looks pretty good.Some new original material at last! Really like those neck wrap changy thingies.So simple and yet cool.Had never thought of it.

Feel like returning your kindness in sharing. I've got a video of the world fireknife championships from Hawaii last year.(in my opinion)The Worlds best fire twirlers battle it out in true warrior style.Garunteed visual orgasm! I've learnt alot from watching this vid. I'm sure you will too.

Only problem I dont have the know how to set it up on the web.If I make a copy on NTSC VHS and send it to you do you know anybody who could get it on this site for all you fire maniacs out there?

I've guarded this little precious for too long .Interested?
EDITED_BY: Drag'n (1088779290)

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
woah I'm interested, though I don't have the webspace to host such a thing =/

- Klaymen

6,978 posts

Posted:
drag'n, i have tried to upload a 4.7Mb .WMV video of my only fire video to this site, but my internet connection won't let me! if you want to see more, i have managed to upload a tiny video to the gallery section with no titling no nothing.

Thank you sooo much for offering to share the championship video - i would love it sent over (i am a DV nut) PM me please, i have gigabytes of practice videos if you want, i have been busy recording new moves. However i am already satisfied - The greatest gift you have already given me by telling me how much you get outta what i have shared! respect to yoo!

oh and klaymen, if you wanna see heapa mad videos, PM me b4 you come by wednesday nights and ima bring me laptop and a bunch of CDs/DVDs!

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
awesome, thanks bender, and I will!
yoy!

- Klaymen

6,978 posts

Posted:
wise man once say:
WOOT!

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
awesome, bender i got my spymac working, so I can host your vid if you send it to me somehow, if its 30meg or under you can use Gmail to send it if you have that, or from you outlook express whatever. Klaymen@gmail.com

www.spymac.com you get like, i think 250meg space free! and email and blog wotsits and such, but the storage is the best! You could probably even just get some webspace, and link to it from your current webspace.

toodleoo

- Klaymen

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I've got spymac workin' all good Bender, so any time you want I can upload this baby for ya =).

- Klaymen

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
i want this bender!! send me it so i can upload smile

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I have this both these videos, i could sent it to my host, and then you can host it as well, then it might stay up for more than 3 days at a time wink Just have to wait for Bender to give the word that its ok.

I would really love to see the sword videos or the three section sometime.

6,978 posts

Posted:
'tis all good smile
youse has my blessing, but ima keep the cowbell!!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Here is the link to your _lo_res.av1 Staff video. biggrin And u can keep that cowbell, it just hurts my head ubbloco

Oh yea right click and save as...

https://dragon7.spymac.net/joy_of_staff-lo_res.avi

Hopefully ill have the "joy_of_staff-hi_res_V2" version later on but...its only half the video! Is it ment to be 1/2 the low res version or did i mess up when i downloaded?
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1089981936)

Page: