Forums > Videos > My meteor video is up!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My meteor video is up!

The place it's at isn't ideal and likely to be temporary as I can't afford to have bandwidth issues with it.

https://www.davidpanther.plus.com/movies/dave_meteors.avi

You know what to do- 'right click' and save as, please only download it once as, at the first hint of bandwidth problems I'll have to take it off.

Description of video: -

It's approx 16 Mb, would be useful to meteor newbies as it's fairly high quality, all daylight footage, nice slow moves in which hand positions and movements can be seen clearly etc.

The moves are mainly basics- poi style weaves, five beats, turns; then one handed figure eights, consequtive BTB passes, rotors, rotor stall and a couple of one handed butterfly throws and catches.

Let me know what you think of it.

Anyone who wants to provide a space for it would be much appreciated. Cheers to pk and Jez for offering to host it, been a few teething problems sorting that out but if you still want it that'd be great.

And thanks to Liam for shooting it and getting the footage to me.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
It would nae play for me dave,
I only got sound, what did you use to encode it, cause i can normally play most of the divx thingys.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Compressed in Premier using DivX.

What are you playing it on?

I downloaded it before announcing it to check that it worked and it played fine on Windows media Player.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
yeah media player,
also got premiere so that should'nt be a problem.
When i play it in media player it says, requesting codec............ failed.
Anyone else having problems with it?

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Has it fully downloaded i.e. is the file size=15.1 Mb?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yay! now the 'net has proof that meteors are totally cool...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mine plays for about 5 - 10 seconds then freezes. The position bar moves but the video stays still?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
yay! now the 'net has proof that meteors are totally cool...
Does this mean that you've managed to download it?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm.. not yet mate.. ask me again in a few days, i am but a dial-up gimp

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mine is, in fact, 15.1mb and no matter what program I use to play it, it still freezes right after it says 'One wheel dave' Try uploading it again.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wicked video, what have u got on the ends of your rope?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ben-ja-men:
wicked video, what have u got on the ends of your rope?
They're my 'washing line braided monkey fist meteors'- 4 lengths of washing line that I braided into rope and then tied into monkey fist knots at the end.

Here's a thread on them:-

https://www.poiinthepark.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40

and here's a webpage with some close up pics of them: -

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/wash/washingline.html

Really nice and slow to spin, would be pretty dangerous to spin them fast cos of the weight of the knots.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've got no idea why the vid isn't working for some of you.

As at least two people (ben-ja-men and myself) have downloaded and played it the file itself must be OK.

It is DivX compressed so you will need the DivX codec, it comes as part of the DivX player and can be downloaded free from the link supplied by Frostypaw above.

If you've got the Codec and it's still not working it's worth opening the actual DivX player and opening the file in that- that's worked for me with some vids that wouldn't play with windows media player.

That's all I can think of, anyone with more experience in these things please offer usefull suggestions.

I would appreciate it if both those who can play it and those who can't would continue to post their success/failure here as, if a lot of people are having problems, I'll maybe not use DivX for future movies.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok. I redownloaded the video as well as the DivX player just to be on the safe side and it works now. Very nice vid. Would love to see more meteor work...Specially some fire meteor

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Royal:
Ok. I redownloaded the video as well as the DivX player just to be on the safe side and it works now. Very nice vid. Would love to see more meteor work...Specially some fire meteor
Glad you've got it working!

I had some fire meteor footage but decided to keep this one as pure daylight stuff so people who hadn't seen meteors before could see the techniques and hand positions clearly.

I'm hoping to get some more fire footage soon and make a vid from it.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
One last note - The video only works when opened with the DivX player from that link. Windows Media, Real One, and WinAmp still do not play it.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I've got one word to say.... BOARING!!!!

HAH HAH HAH!!!

Just Joking!

You have some realy smooth moves.....Those btb staff passes are not easy... I know.... masive respeck to you....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Royal:
One last note - The video only works when opened with the DivX player from that link. Windows Media, Real One, and WinAmp still do not play it.
You are right clicking and saving rather than just opening it from the link?

That's the best way cos you get a permanent file and my bandwidth doesn't get overworked.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
I've got one word to say.... BOARING!!!!

HAH HAH HAH!!!

Just Joking!

You have some realy smooth moves.....Those btb staff passes are not easy... I know.... masive respeck to you....

Cheers Dantana,

Do you use meteors or staff?

Interesting thing about meteor BTB is that I spent months struggling to pass them BTB and then come out into a weave again.

One night I had the crazy idea of doing alternating BTB i.e. pass BTB from left to right, recover and immediatley pass them back from right to left, then back the other way etc.

Thats the night it clicked for me, when you do alternate BTBs there's some weird physical thing about the nature of the move that causes the meteors to splay out into a perfect straight line.

From that point on BTBs became an easy move, far easier than stuff like rotors (equivalent to the basic staff spin in front of body).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hmmm, interesting. I actually do both staff and meteors, although my skill at meteors is more limited than yours.

What is that you are using for meteors? It looks like green rope (or chain?) with something at the ends (tennis balls?) Are the ends weighted with anything?

I have some problems keeping the meteor going, Maybe I need slightly different equipment (tennis ball poi on chains, linked together at the handles....about 5 1/2 feet long.

It throws off the timing, but you can actually do a one handed (5?) beat weave, by wraping the rope around your wrist the unwrap, then the other side, and turning with it.

Other than that, it looks like you can do everything I can do, plus some. I dig the butterfly throws...

You are deffinitly smoother than I am....

Cheers for a job well done.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Awesome video, definetly loved all the butterfly moves and throws.

I will host in on my site as well later this week.

Cheers for the hard work in making the vid, its about time we had some meteor videos up!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, I am actually downloading the file as opposed to just playing it...Note the use of the word 'download' in my previous posts

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Dan he's daves post from the top of the page:

quote:
Originally posted by onewheeldave:
[QUOTE]They're my 'washing line braided monkey fist meteors'- 4 lengths of washing line that I braided into rope and then tied into monkey fist knots at the end.

Here's a thread on them:-

https://www.poiinthepark.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40

and here's a webpage with some close up pics of them: -

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/wash/washingline.html

Really nice and slow to spin, would be pretty dangerous to spin them fast cos of the weight of the knots.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:

What is that you are using for meteors? It looks like green rope (or chain?) with something at the ends (tennis balls?) Are the ends weighted with anything?

I have some problems keeping the meteor going, Maybe I need slightly different equipment (tennis ball poi on chains, linked together at the handles....about 5 1/2 feet long.

As well as the washing line braided meteors from the video (see links that pk mentions)I've also found chain and tennis balls are good(and less dangerous cos they're light), but it's worth wrapping the middle section with chamois leather or cloth for better grip.

Climbing rope with monkey fist knots on the end work well as well.

I reckon the longer the meteors the more weight you need on the ends.

The hardest part with meteors is to keep them splayed out in a straight line- mainly loads of practice is the key, but the stuff I posted above about alternate BTBs may help- certain moves naturally make them go straight, so stuff like continuous BTB's are easier to keep going than a lot of the moves than look more straightforward.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by onewheeldave:
chain and tennis balls are good(and less dangerous cos they're light), but it's worth wrapping the middle section with chamois leather or cloth for better grip.
that's a great idea, thanks for that nugget, dude!! wow i learnt something from the 'net today that wasn't a dirty joke!!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool, nice vid, finally something to learn meteors from

I was about to ask where you got your meteors from, but then read the thread I made myself a set, but the weights arn't big enough to make it even remotely stretch out like yours and be able to spin like a staff - after a couple of turns it just goes limp. I've gotten to the point with poi now where i haven't had any bruises for months (although i did almost break my index finger last week), so i need a new painful hobby

Whilst there's a meteor thread with meteor people posting in it, has anyone perfected joining 2 poi together mid spin to create a meteor? I've been playing recently with turning 5 beat weave and grabbing the left handle with the right whilst moving left to right in 5 beat reverse weave and bringing it into the one handed meteor 5 bt weave move. Looks quite nice, but i hafta keep both handles held tight because they arn't connected - i can't transfer both to another hand. I've heard of people experiementing with carabeenas (excuse my atrocious spelling, you know what i mean), but haven't seen a vid or met anyone doing it yet.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
cool, nice vid, finally something to learn meteors from

I was about to ask where you got your meteors from, but then read the thread I made myself a set, but the weights arn't big enough to make it even remotely stretch out like yours and be able to spin like a staff - after a couple of turns it just goes limp..........

Whilst there's a meteor thread with meteor people posting in it, has anyone perfected joining 2 poi together mid spin to create a meteor?

making them stretch out like a staff is the hardest part, and to spin them as a circle in front of you i.e. like the basic staff circle, is one of the most difficult moves, far more so than, for example, alterning BTB passes.

You can add more weight to tennis ball ends by slitting and inserting coins, or in monkey fist knot ends by inserting a small lead fishing weight in the knot b4 tightening it.

I did try various devices to convert poi to meteors in mid flow, but found that connectors easy to do up whilst spinning were also prone to come apart easily; as I was aiming for fire stuff I felt that it was too dangerous to bother with.

I have found, however, that when the meteor basics are grasped they can be applied to poi, for example go into a one handed figure eight, pass it behind back whilst turning then split poi into seperate hands and come out of the turn.

For any one hand newbies having problems getting into a one handed figure eight with poi, a good tip is to be doing a 2 hand figure eight b4 attempting it. I spent weeks trying to get into it from a three beat (cross and follow).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

BladeSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Dude. That vid is incredible.... TEACH ME!!! :P

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Great music Dave! biggrin
Rock on! :headbang:

Let me know about the Pm. smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
UCOF has kindly mirred this vid here-

https://www.theincondoocon.com/videos/dave_meteors.avi

Cheers Jon

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
intrsting, metiors are cropping up again...

got a new move lats night, btb pinwheel then at the top pirrette and straight back into btb pinwheel.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: