Forums > Videos > aceFTP is a piece of s**t

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
For the past fortnight I've been trying to get my new meteor video onto the net.

It's been dogged by misfortune as the place it was originally going to is down with bandwidth problems.

The next option involved posting it to be uploaded elsewhere whereupon it got lost in the post.

So last night I decided to upload it to option three which meant using aceFTP to transfer it.

I've known for some time that 'aceFTP' is far from ace, it's slow, tends to freeze up and makes stupid loud bell noises when it manages to succeed in get a file to where it needs to go.

Last night it excelled itself- a two hour upload taking me up to 5.30 in the morning when I would have much prefferred to be in bed.

At the end of this I checked the uploaded file and found that it was no longer 15 Mb but instead was a 80 k file!

In the ensuing display of fury I must have inadvertently hit the download button cos the next thing I know the source file (my meteor movie!!!) is overwritten by this 80 k file.

Sensibly, and in despair, I go to bed.

Today, luckily I find another copy of the original on the hard drive.

A further attempt to upload in which the program again freezes, topped by a particularly annoying loud sound when I shut it down, leads me to immediately uninstall the program.

I'm currently trying to upload the movie using Internet Explorers built in FTP function (only just found out about it).

Thought I'd warn anyone after a free FTP program to avoid aceFTP.

Also watch out for cuteFTP- it works really well but after 30 days reveals that it is a trial period job.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I use a program called WS_FTP which is free and has never given me any problems.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I use ws_ftp as well. Its the daddy of free ftp'ing!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my server is back online dave i emailed ian yesterday, no reply from hime but woke up to an alive server.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i also never bother with ftp programs.

servers come with control pannels where you can upload files.... show me one that works and i will use one.

windows has a nice option though its not ftp its called net windows or some thing.
all i do is open my ftp by typing something like ftp.isthisgoingtowork.net in to IE address bar then select my login details, you can then view the server files just like windows explorer on your HDD, i like it because it feels like my servers are just extensions or partitions of my HDD. files can be transfered simply as drag and drop, right click on the server items and you can set properties to what ever you wish.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
1112, you is totally right. also has to be said though, that only FTP offers the advantage of multi-threading, whereby you open up usually 5 connections and transfer a file with five times the bandwidth. mmm div-x is tasty.

what we *really* need is a firetwirling specific perr to peer file sharing client. that would rawk. It would also redefine poi nerdism...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hang on....bovril IS a computer programmer...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
1112, you is totally right. also has to be said though, that only FTP offers the advantage of multi-threading, whereby you open up usually 5 connections and transfer a file with five times the bandwidth.
What are the benefits to multi-threading? I assume it doesn't make the process 5 times as fast?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
theory is that it does upload faster, as ftp programs work very much the same as download managers.

files are split in to packets and reasembled at their destination. though still uploading isnt quite as fast as download managers for some reasons, and i have found that ftp programs never seem to reassemble files back fully.

i prefer not to use them and carry on with net windows.

remember dave any full version of programs are available by download... though not legal and not saying that i condone such infringemnets of copright laws but they are there for the taking.

[runs off to get rid of my HDD very quickly gates is watching. haha anyone ever tried to download XP service pack from microsoft on a dodge copy of XP haha nice notice they give you after checking your product code ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
naughty, naughty, mr rasclat!
these are dark days indeed for 'personal backups'
quote:
UK P2P users may face legal action - The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) is waiting until the new European Union copyright directive is implemented before it decides whether to take legal action against UK peer-to-peer (P2P) users. The BPI has no current plans to follow the actions of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and sue individuals who download music from P2P sites, saying that it prefers to educate people rather than take a heavy handed approach.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always