Page:
tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
i love some of teh videos on this borad.. spent many many hours downloading them. i have noticed a few things though

1)almost everyone who puts up their video is asking for their bandwidth limit to get raped. 50 people downloading 20Mb files has a way of doing that...

2)some hosts on the other side of the planet always give me a bad connection. never get a good d/l speed

i was think of suggesting of putting these files on a p2p network...Like Kazaalite...that way instead of just downloading movies and music we can download poi/staff video...

i thinks its a good idea for a few reasons
firstly) it would tell the RIAA/MPAA/antichrist that people have many many uses for p2p technology.. not just to rip them off...
secondly it woudl spread the cost of bandwidth around... so the kind people that went through the initial trouble of filming and putting it online also dont have to bear teh full cost of sharing it...thirdly we also are reaching to a wider audience...i find some wicked songs i might have never come across any other way than a random search i did on a p2p network...

what do yo all think? i have downloaded a ton of videos and if the word is yes we would like to share teh videos then i would share them on the kazaa network...and teh more people that share the videos the easier it is to find and d/l them...

by the way get a spyware free kazaaa client here...
kazaalite

thrillzmember
6 posts

Posted:
hi I think this is a good idea.
however to ensure people are downloading the proper file perhaps a list of the released vids should be kept here along with there size or something.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Could always just list the Artist as Home of Poi so people could just type in Home of Poi in search and come up with all the available videos.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that's 1.1Gigs of fire luvin' baby!
HoP fire video list

I believe it's fairly up to the minute, but it's fairly arbitrary choice - i haven't downloaded most of the videos on this site, and of the large videos I haven't downloaded smallboy's large version of his reclaim the beach. For storage, where a large version is concerned, i will ignore the smaller web version.
Happy huntin'

ps my soulseek name where all of these and other videos are available is 'Ismellfunny.'

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Nice one bender ! Quite a few of those i've never seen around - are they still online somewhere or have people taken them off the net ??

Mike

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ya ha ha ha ha.
You haven't got the best video in my collection listed
I was surprised that someone hadn't posted that yet.

nice one doctor bender. I've got some goodies for you when I get p2p up and running
you want twirling from 1903!

Ok please can you tell me how you list the files in a directory as a text file, and can it do it for all the subdirectories as well.

thanks kiddo

Drew

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Before we start posting them, we should come up with some codeword we can put in the filenames, so that searches for that word will return lots of stuff of interest to us.

T'would be kinda similar to the way people tack "gem" onto the end of songs they like, so you can always find quality stuff by searching for "gem"s.

The earlier we establish a convention like this, the better it would work. Any suggestions?

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Drew, using the DOS command prompt (type "command" or "cmd" under in the start menu depending on which windows version you have) and in the directory you want to list (change directory using "cd directoryname" to go down the directory tree and "cd .." to go up), type:
dir > file.txt
It will create that file with a full directory listing in it.
Use
dir /s > file.txt
to include subdirectories

How about "HOP_" as a prefix for spinning stuff ??

Can't wait to get to see some of these videos

Mike

6,978 posts

Posted:
glassdude! a big long meeeeeep, which is llamish for 'whaaaT? nooo! me missing out on glass vid goodness! and yes, two sugars thanks my hoof's gangrenous, please don't mount my garage.'
if i am not mistaken.
*ahem*
also by the way, last edinbrgh firemeet, someone was mentioning that yours was teh best staff vid they ever seen on the net! we're already impressed at your friend Julie's skillz and contend that you peeps MUST be in cahoots!
or at least share the same peruvian wooly quadraped.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
thanks psy
crickey my dos is rusty

Hey I wasn't talking about my video,
my heads not that big,
theres a lot of spinners a lot better than me around, and theres got to be footage of them around.
I bumped into the guy I first saw doing poi and stick, an absolute god of both, last weekend, havent seen him for years. put me back in perspective.
but thanks for the compliment. runs and hides.

Naah mate, video I was talking about was the arab dude spinning in 1903 filmed by that guy who first had this idea

and when I said best, i mean not best.

while I'm putting your shopping list together, you got the old vids that cube fx posted.. the trident one esp.

Julie julie julie julie.... :confusion: do I know a julie by a different name? Don't think I've been to cahoots recently, sounds like a nightclub with a lot of pink neon, and a strict opel fruit shirt cleintel.

unless she was one who said, "wanna go halfs on a llama?"

bender care for your llame. to prevent this kind of foot infection. keep your LLama's toenails
trimmed

Glass

6,978 posts

Posted:
lol glass, you have superlative taste in llama 'netdom! erm, trident video? ima not sure i've seen it.. sounds interesting!

erm julie or lisa, i'm bad with names... whoever you are! (she's the one that performs buzzsaws with one arm tucked underneath a leg...)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
does she say:
**AWSUM**?
and is she A Merry Can?

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
That looks like my list of videos, bender.

6,978 posts

Posted:
heh heh, glass, she be the one!
one glassed, always glassed

hey NickC, I used skynet to take over your computer and steal all your video files. 'Cept the shaven llama ones, they were a bit too blurry for me do you like bandwidth too

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
wow. You've got AWSUM jill in melburp. coooooooeeeeel.
Say hiya from meee.
and hugs and fluff

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Bump!

Aeh, coming back to the original topic ... homeofpoi videos on kazaa - anyone up for it ? With the consensus of the people who made each video on this board,we ought to share them over peer-to-peer networks. That will reduce everyone's bandwidht requirement, and make the vids available even when servers go down etc..
If we add a prefix say
code:
"Homeofpoi xxxxxxx.avi"
Then it will be easy to find them on the network.

What do you think ?

Mike

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Would not just having "Poi" in the title or description do the same thing?
I think my vid's on KaZaa, but only when I'm online

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Theoretically yes, but i just did a quick search now, and it came up with ~500 files, none of which seemed to have anything to do with spinning

Atacan(aka muaddip)SILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Rather than Kazaa, Emule/Edonkey would be more appropriate. Emule is really sweet. It has built-in features for URL (universal resource location) for the files, and version controlling (based on hash and file size).

Also eMule's distribution of files is far better than the Kazaa. Simply put the more people download and downloading (meaning continuing DLs) the more availability

So what we need to do is getting permission from the copyright holders to distribute their videos. If they are concerned about authority of on their videos they can put a label on one the corners giving information on the performer/video shooter. Later we can upload the videos into eMule networks, and publish their eDonkey URLs in here.

cheers,

_ __ _
atacan

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i actually punch me for saying this prefer my vids to use my own bandwidth!

simple reason being i get to know how many people have downloaded them over the period of them being online.

hope this helps.

i'd prefer for people not to be redirecting any video listed in my thread or that is stored on my servers. i know it would be going from peoples home PC's but i have my point.

thanks

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
PK, thats a good point - thats why i said that without ok from the people who did the vids nothing is going onto p2p networks - i think thats only fair.

Mike

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cheers Psi,

its a way good idea for p2p, pros and cons kinda ballence, i'm sure p2p has seen morning coffee hundreds of times, we've all talked about it before, i keep up to date records of how many downloads each indevidual video gets from my servers and they can be found here in our forum . But then i also give permission to Jez to host copies of my videos on his server, he also keeps logs as far as i am awear but has never sent me them!, i'd be curious to know whats what from his logs and tally up with my own.

actually going back to my previous post, i dont actually mind people using p2p for my videos, my preference is for people to continue using my servers and showing their support to keep me motivated in making some more for every one. the more downloads they get and show on my server logs, puts a smile on my face every time and thats what encourages me to put up more.

Going back to lists of videos, i have many that have never been posted here in the thread list and on my own site. Fair enough that with out HoP i would not get so many hits per month, but with 1/4 million site visits since june i feel that i now get a substancial ammount of people that have actually found my site with out finding out from HoP. I am currently ranking well on subsequent search strings too, so that i hope will make this kind of thing more available to people that use a search like poi videos etc... in a search engine.

the only advantage i can see with p2p is for regulars of HoP, as this isnt the kind of thing every day p2p users are going to look for unless they stumble upon them. But then the regualar people that visit HoP can always find some means to get the videos.

I think the only person that really has problems with bandwidth is dantana simply for free/cheap hosting and limited bandwidth.

well i think i babbled long enough.

all i will say to end this post, is that if my videos are only used via p2p and not hosted on another server with out prior permission then that is ok with me. BUT only if people will continue to show support via the thread here or via my own site!

happy days....

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
we are currently paying $100 per year, for a small 5 gig/month bandwidth, so yea, it realy sucks. That's what happens when you have a bad host. We will be switching to a new server sometimes in the next year (same price but unlimited storage and double the bandwidth...). But anyways, I would love to get all the poi/staff videos in circulation on the internet through one or all of the programs mentioned here.

Yes, we have major problems with bandwidth.

Actually I had this idea a long time ago, but I have no idea how to get it started.

I think the major important thing is that there be "credits" in each video. That way the original makers of the videos ALLWAYS get credit for their work. I could care less about where they get it as long as everybody knows who made it in the first place.

Bender, that list you got is scary , John and I made most of those RM videos, back when we sucked at poi. I don't think even _I_ have most of our old videos. Still, you are missing a few...

I have not seen many of those videos you listed... hint hint hint...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Heres a solution for you all. Use a Personal FTP. The only downside is that you will notice a slowing down of your connection as people are downloading from you... but i think this will only be significant if you are playing video games where a good ping is a plus. Also, some people wouldn't like their computer on all the time... for this i offer you this idea/solution...

On your website where you are currently hosted you have a download script written in perl, asp, or php. They'll all do the same.. Write it so that when they want to download a file it'll check to see if your personal ftp is online. If it is it will download from there.. otherwise have a hosted server somewhere on the net. This won't eliminate all bandwidth, because when your offline they will download off of your server, but i'd imagine your bandwidth usage would drop significantly. The only problem i can see with this would be Upload Caps put on by ISP's... but i can't imagine it being to big of a problem.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey dan ur hosting isnt all that bad dude!

for £20 per year i get unlimited web space but also get only 1gb bandwidth of which i subscribe 3 extra gb for £10 per gb per year so in total it costs me £50 a year. So were kind of ballanced out, but that some times isnt enough for the demand.
my second server takes 500mb web space and 7gb bandwidth that costs me some thing like £100 per year.
i think with my first server i also get a secured server, when i ftp i get https folder, i presume this came free from the host.

Dan are you getting a massive ammount of hits too? or can you not check?.
I have most of your videos missing i think, i havnt downloaded any thing for since i was in edinburgh, even then it seemed such a hassle to find the time amongst what i was tring to get done before the move back to derby, i can see i will now be spending some time downloading again.
must get a job first i think!....

that post about ftp went right over my head, last time i looked at a pearl script i shat myself, probably wouldnt be that bad to make the changes.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Yea, I got site stats... but they aren't to specific. However, based on bandwidth usage...it's not so much the number of hits but rather the fact that half the people who hit download videos, and our videos run about 5-20 mg a pop. that adds up pretty quick over a month. And we can only directly host 100 mg of files. which would be fine if I wasn't addicted to making videos...)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
BTW, all of our latest videos have credits, so I would be happy if they made their way onto the the internet via kazaa, ebear, or whatever...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
The only issue I have with sharing our vids on a P2P network... is that it's physically impossible for me to do so. My comp has all of our master video files on it, but I'm unable to distribute them through any method that requires someone locating my IP address (i.e. "direct-connect" so I'm unable to share ANYTHING through Kazaa, or even ICQ or AIM direct file transfers outward... I can download all I want at incredibly high speeds (100MB connection) but can't share squat. The webpage is my only means of doing so unless I could somehow email the files to someone (which is usually limited by inbox sizes) and have them share on P2P.

But yeah, I second Dan's notion that since our newer vids all have credits and our website listing contained in the video, people can share em all they'd like.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
out of interest, why are you unable to share without direct access? Kazaa's protocol (fasttrack) and many others allow passive connections (the same concept as an ftp server's passive mode), ie you are connected to the server (which can be done via an ssh or web cache tunnel) and when someone wants a file from you, the server tells you to establish the connection to them through your firewall/nat router, instead of them connecting direct to you. Works a treat on most corperate networks, universities etc. Most of the high bandwidth users on filesharing networks are behind one way firewalls, it's fairly essential in P2P design to accomodate such machines.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what the **** was that? soming just flew over my head!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
sorry, i get overly excited about P2P network architecture/protocol design. Please ignore me while i have my geek moment.

Page: