Forums > Videos > The Official "I HATE my slow connection!" Thread

Login/Join to Participate

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Yeah a whole summer is whisking by and I can't view a single video that all you fine people put up on your websites because I'm forced to live on the old [AOL + modem] combination. This page is for you all to rant as you see fit on this topic.

I will start.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I think I've got all of them, so I could be persuaded to post you a copy in return for chocolate of some description -

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Work don't let me look at them either PANTS, it's all great big PANTS.

Did I hear someone say Chocolate ??????

Barmy Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
me am also a dail-up pleb, but flashget is an ace file download manager and efficiently uses what lil' bandwidth i do have by downloading large files as 5 segments all simultaneously downloaded to the maximum baud rate connection possible! I've managed to accumulate 1.04Gb of firetwirling vids alone, and yoo can see the list if you're on soulseek and look for a user called 'Ismellfunny', which i do.
:self conciously crosses legs:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im not sure why you can't download them. I am on modem and I have all of them. Just let it download over night. Get the program getright or something similar which will hang up your moden and shut down you computer ince the file is completed.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Okay, a little addendum to my sob story

[AOL + 56K modem + only one phone line in house]

Is there no one else with my problems?

Of course, it's only more severe to me because I'm used to the superior multiple T3 connection I have at school the other 9 months out of the year. But hey, being sent back to the stone age all summer gives me the RIGHT to bitch

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
one phone line and one 56k modem right here.
doesnt bother me most of the time. unless i want to see soming right away, but half the time i am prepared to wait.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
<- same as PK. How much do you need to use your phone 3:00 in the morning? With getright you can even make it log onto the internet at a designated time, download untill a designated time and them log off. Then the next night you designate it to do the same untill you finish the file.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have lost me broadband for the next couple of weeks and can now only use work PC's.

Which really sucks because the firewall will not let me download any video type files.

So my download times are currently set to 2 weeks

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'm on 56k (more like 41k given the crappy fone line) for the summer, down from 600kbit at home/100mbit at uni

It took 3 hours last night to upload a set of photos which useually takes a few minutes. However people with broadband are spoilt, i used a 28,8k modem for the first 6 or 7 years of using the net.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
flid, you say that...but that was because there was no flashy pics or aminations or large size graphic philes.

now everyone has a high download rate, website creators are making the websites bigger and bigger and bigger. thus the speed at which people will in the future get a website will be the same as in the olden days with 28.8 or even 14.4 modems.

b ecause people can get big files quicker, the creators want their webiste to be the best with the best everything. once again slowing everything down.