onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm hoping some of you video experts can help me with this.

I'm made a video of me using some electric poi I've made. The poi are cheap and easy to build and I'm intending to post a web page with instructions and photos.

I've also made a short video for people to download so they can see what they look like.

First question is: -

I used the DivX Codec which seems to be well respected, however, though the result was good, the file size was 15 Mb.
I also did it as an MPEG and the quality seems similar, yet the file size is only 5 Mb.

So why is DivX so widely used if it produces bigger file sizes?
And :-
Is there a disadvantage to MPEGs?

Next I have the problem of where to put it.

First attempt was to send it to HOP, they want it as an e-mail attachment and it's not working- I think it exceeds the attachment size allowed by Yahoo and it didn't seem to work on my paid account either.

Next I tried to put it on the Unicyclist.com gallery but I just got a 'uploading' message with no progress report and gave up after an hour.

I don't mind waiting for it to upload as long as there's a percentage report so I know it's not just locked up.

So, do you know anywhere I can put it or some way I can get it to HOP using a FTP rather than email attachment?

And

How long do you reckon a 5 Mb clip will take to upload, I konw that downloading something of that size with a 'right click' would be under an hour, but maybe as e-mail attachments it takes longer?

I'd really appreciate any tips on this.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
You could msn it to me when I'm online next camz_21@hotmail
and I'll stick it somewhere on my site and you can link to it.
You don't have to let me link to it on my site if you don't want, but I'm happy to host any videos for people.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, I dont know anything about video compression but I do know that if video_01 in DivX = 15mb and video_01 in MPEG = 5mb, youre loosing something heh. Usually DivX is better quality than MPEG. I would suggest having both available for download for those of us who dont mind a lil extra time for a lil extra quality.

As for how long it would take to upload, that depends on your connection. By the way you talk about stuff, it sounds like youre on dial up in which case it would take a while for 5mb...Probably hour and a half or so. If you have broadband, it shouldnt take long at all.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Royal- with any codec there's a loss, the uncompressed AVI original is 387 Mb and is noticably better quality than the compressed ones.

What I'm confused about is that the compressed DivX one and the compressed MPEG look the same despite the mpeg being 10 M smaller, and, as I heard good stuff about the DivX codec I'm wondering if my video program has messed up the compression, otherwise why would anyone use DivX rather than mpeg?

SmallBoy- Cheers for the offer, however by msn-ing it do you mean e-mail? Cos' I've not had much luck sending it as an e-mail attachment.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
hit msn.co.uk and download nsm messenger 6.
sign up and add me as a contact, then next time we're both online send it via msn....u can transfer more or less anything and it's quite handy....

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
technically divx IS mpeg, version 4.
what we commonly know as mpeg is simply mpeg 2.
this is of course, file extensions notwithstanding.

there are a trillions of divx settings, (crispness, fast/slow action encoding, bitrate, resolution, sound bitrate/freq) both in encoding and decoding/playback. hence, Div-X videos are not created equally.
maybe look at the settings you use and don't use before you start comparing .mpg and .avi files, yes? do a search on video compression, as there have been many a useful post on how to optimise videos, not just divx.
if you're still in trouble, I can web or broadband optimise it if ya want, but be warned, i'm only a dail-up!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the help guys.

SmallBoy- problems solved, pk's let me FTP it onto his PIP site, I'm a lot happier using FTP programs than stuff like MSN.

However, if you like the video you're welcome to download it and put it on your site as well.

It's on: -
https://www.poiinthepark.co.uk/media/hammerhead.mpg

(right click and 'save as...')

I'm in process of putting up the page of instructions of how to build the electro poi I'm using in the clip, and will post the address in due course.

Cheers again for the help.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
You done the destructions for the poi yet one wheeled one?

Always got space for your efforts if you need it.
Do you use msn Dave?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Hi Liam,

The instructions are up now, just posted them in the 'technical section': -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001057;p=1#000000

Got some good feedback on them tonight (check the thread).

Cheers for the offer of space.

I don't know much about MSN, had a quick look at it and am a bit wary.

It looked as though there's a program download involved which is usually accompanied by icons appearing on the taskbar and new things in the start up folder. It also looked a bit bloated with loads of things that I'll never use.

At the moment I'm really sick of the pathetic way some programs worm their way into start up folders, stick their shortcuts all over the place, pester you about 'file associations' etc. And then there's ad-ware/spy-ware.

For this video I've just done I lent a friends camera and software, now I've got a new icon on the taskbar.

However, like I said, I'm not familiar with MSN, so please do let me know what it does, what reasons there are for using it etc.

Also, I hope you check the video clip out and let me know what you think of it.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32