Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
I have noticed that, on this politically correct board, that there is an intolerence to sexism and racism. (and rightly so)However, as I am at a 'sensitive' age I tend to notice that there is a distinct ism on this board which rears its ugly head now and again - AGEISM. Id just like to remind all u nubile young things that there is an advantage to age -knowledge and experience, and not all oldies are boring and close minded.I have a friend who has fought in a war and he is the most wise, spiritual, young at heart person i know - he usually lasts the longest at party's and he has the most amazing philosophies. This isnt directed at anyone in particular as there has been more that one reference to 'oldies'. Just wanted to remind people of the benefits of our elders and that age is irrelevant when it comes to having fun. must go now, the warden is coming and Im not supposed to have matches here........

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hi firefairy smileI can see your point, but can't honestly recall and incident where ageism has occured on this board. We do occasionally refer to "oldies" and "elders" but this is in reference to the amount of time an individual has been part of the Home of Poi community.I apologise on behalf of everyone if you have ever felt affronted as a result of any "ism" that may have been put forward.flash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmm, the only instance I can recall is when I called myself a "dinosaur"I now realise my mistake and have apologised to myself, and also sent myself some flowers and a mox of chocolates... wink(sorry, couldn't resist)Could you please cite an example, I'm unaware of any ageism on the 'older' side of things, if anything, it's the older (20+'s) teasing the youngstersyours, but a little confused, Charles

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Ev'rybody's talking aboutBagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, TagismThis-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m. All I am saying is give poi a chanceMy grandpa is old - but he is one of the coolest people I know smile------------------Take thy beak from out my heart,and take thy form from off my door!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
How old are you, anyhow, Firefairy? I'm 35, which makes me one of the older people on these boards. I've never felt any ageism...but maybe I'm too young to notice {g}.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
*gives a cutsie smile*You oldies! You shouldn't be here. This is our site, the youngsters. I'm off to watch Bill & Ben, and then a bit of Pipkin, then maybe go and listen to some Childrens Hour with the other kids.Anybody fancy a go on my spacehopper?(*CRACK!!!*)Oooh me' bleedin' back - where's me' zimmer frame gone?

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
sorry if it came accross that way but ive never been affronted by it. Im 31, not old by any stretch of the imagination but i just wanted to point out the benefits of age in a jokey sort of a way I hate pointing out individuals names, but i will quote some words 'if someone calls me a raver these days i assume they're old or out of touch''the baby boomers long since dead'Maybe i shouldnt have brought the ism into it and just commented on the knowledge older people have to offer and that they can still have political idealism. apologies if i have been too sensitive

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Perhaps one should look at the context to which these were said on the board. I dont think anyone that posts here has anything against older people, but like the younger generations, the older generations are ignorant of many things as well. Age does not ALWAYS = knowledge or being wise. It can help, but a person at the age of 25 who has had more life experience is often wiser than someone of 60 who has never left their home town.This is the second post here accusing the board of being "un-PC" and frankly im quite sick of hearing that phrase. Cant we all just be nice to each other without fear of retribution for not saying something in a PC way?!Im all for people watching their opinions on topics, this is a public board and statements that offend should be left off it, but sometimes people say things and dont mean to offend ...

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm going to break with tradition and annoy everyone whose older than me and younger than me and quite likely a few of them who are my age as well...Just made a new thread called the "official HoP oldcall"https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001761.htmlHave a look and put your details on if you 'qualify' (adamrice, I expect your name on there in due course...)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Firefairy. I am 27. and my statement about the term raver was out of personal observation.It's like if someone called me a hippy. To me, it just smacks of The Young Ones. I'm a crustie.In years to come people will be offended by that term But I'm proud of it. I'm told that in Australia I'd be termed a hippy as well. Which, obviously if i live there, I'd have to learn to live with.It's not really about ageism. It's about the mental images and and stigma that are attached to various words. There are sections of community where women are referred to as bitches. But if I termed you thusly (I assume) you would be offended.Furthermore, I like to keep my posts short, as I find myself not reading the longer ones on here, and I assume that I am not alone in this. So I was unable to fully expound on my reasoning behind the raver arguement.Plus I wasn't thinking straight. I was responding to a comment Myst made. Which, due to recent events in my personal life, I assumed were homophobic. My ire was inflamed and i was seeing red. If you wish to take this matter further then you can email me with your concerns. I'm glad you missed all the jokes I carefully seeded into that raver post BTW(as always this post has been condensed from the rambling quagmire it was when it started)------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think that adults with incomes are in the greatest position of power in this society. For similar reasons they are also the most difficult group to get a change in smileI ahve to say, if I was intending on staying where I am, I'd really like to study the philosophy of social change...Josh