Page:
Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
whut up,

Rusty Video

divx encoded, you know the drill by now...
currently only a 13.4Mb version exists, but i will work on compressing it further for the broadband deficient.

it was pretty damn cold out, and we ain't had a place to spin all winter...

of course we will all look much smoother in a couple weeks, now that it is actually above freezing in new york city...

and you gotta love that track huh!!! very special thanx to 1L for that...

enjoy
peax

Skunk

PS almost forgot last but not least, thanks to all the performers, who are (more or less in order of appearance):

dirt and jen (those 2 are doing all the partner balancing stuff)
me
nomad and lee from anthelion
NYC (can you run down the difference between all the types of balloon fetishism for me again please?)
heather feather
gear
chuck

thanx homies, let's play again soon!!!

[ 18. March 2003, 07:08: Message edited by: Le Skunk ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It doesn't work. The file I downloaded is much smaller then 13 megs, it's 1.1 megs and that isn't after a failed download, it says the download is complete.

Maybe you didn't finish uploading the whole video?

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
works for me astar,

cross platform tested even.

i would right click (or option click on a mac) on the link from the post and hit download to disk. check your settings and such and try again or if you simply can't work it lemme know and i will hook you up ftp stylie...

peax

skunk

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
nice effect, I especialy like the "matrix" slow motion parts, and the backwards parts.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
thanx santanatrue,

actually there aren't really any slow motion effects, i think it just kinda looks that way cause of the extreme compression on it. i also tried to keep a high frame rate (maybe too high) in the video cause there are some stutter edits that get lost when you drop the frame rate, not that they really came out all that well in the compressed version...

i am gonna try to recompress now and make one with a lower frame rate, see if it comes out smoother.

skunk

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
doh!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Since when was slow motion footage unique to the matrix in anyway? Guess what people have been using slow motion in movies for decades. Especially in action movies. The matrix didn't even do anything new or original with the standard slow motion shot. They were the second movie (the first being wing commander which hardly counts as a movie it was so bad) to use "bullet time" like when keanu dodges the bullets on the rooftop. There is no bullet time in this video. Im not sure what im ranting about im just annoyed with everyone saying slow motion is some sort of wonderful film effect that the matrix inovated. People even go as far to say that any movie which uses slow motion or bullet time are matrix ripoff's. It's like saying all movies that use coloured film are ripping off the first coloured film ever made.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Ok after much playing aboot, i am quite sick of digitizing, editing, compressing, uploading, downloading, and especially watching this video...

so before my boss walks in and busts me not really doing any work, lemme post the smallest version of the video:
Rusty Video 8Mb Divx

not sure it helps anybody really, but it still looks aight and you can see the moves rather well (divx really is pretty damn amazing).

hopefully there will be much more of that in the upcoming months, making the video was actually quite fun.

peax

skizlnutzlz

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
somebody needs to role a spliff...mellow mellow (in a manly man sort of way)

my bad, It is just that I think matrix was so awsome, that I can't help but compare wicked effects involving slow mo to it.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
now you know how _I_ feel skunk!

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
The girl doing the contact figure 8 with a baton...awesome. Oh yeah, the rest of the video was kickass too How long are your chains Skunk?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Santana Im not really even talking to you. Just that you activated my matrix rant. Don't take it personally it's just automatic behaviour.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
why thank you!!! ever so flattering to be compared to the matrix...though i would hardly agree, i think they spent much longer on their efx...

oh and sorry about using color, i thought i was gonna be the first and all original but apparently it's been done before...

also i just wanted to raise a couple points about poi moves (since this is the proper forum in which to do so), there are some moves that i do that you might be inclined to call btb btl st butterfly turns or some such convoluted, over-descriptive name...

would it not be much cooler to start making up names for moves? i mean after all they do it in breakdancing, skateboarding,martial arts, snowboarding, bike riding...

so to that end, i have been trying to come up with some original sounding names for some moves, and here are a couple suggestions:

that between the legs butterfly sequence @ 3:22, forward between the legs butterfly turn to backwards blah blah blah shall from now on be known as "deez nutzels"

BTL BTB throw around 4:22 = "taint flickinz" (stalefish was already taken)

i got one that gear dubbed the "wicked pisser", if you have seen my other videos you've probably seen it (it's not in this one), it consists of both poi going btl btb (same direction swing)...

that is all i can think of right now, maybe i can come up with more later....hope it inspires some more creativity in naming new moves...

Peax

Skunk

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Like the video!
At about 2:20, someone (think it's Le Skunk, style is very similar to his in CoL 3 if it's not actually him) is doing a btb weave and throws either one or both poi between his legs in the middle of a turn. If it's both, how? Where are your hands? I've pulled this off a few times, but not with any near the consistancy needed to try with fire.
Love all that btl stuff, by the way, especially the butterfly bits near the end. Gotta get out and practice some more!

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
NickC, that girl is lee from anthelion and she got that move after about 20 minutes or so of practice...she had never even seen it before!!!
and after putting my chain against my, ahem, measuring stick, i find them to be just a little bit longer than 3ft, and that would just about make a perfect meter for you kids on the proper measuring system.

Ow, i am assuming you are using the word throw figuratively here, the move you are talking about is the wicked pisser described poorly above, and your hands have to be behind your butt as you turn. the trick to that one is obviously timing but also being able to keep the poi from tangling requires a perfect 180 turn and perfect hand position. try to make sure your palms are facing down towards the ground when your hands are behind your back. that move is actually much easier than the one in the video where i throw (once again, figuratively) the third beat of a btb weave between the legs...

good luck

skunk

[ 18. March 2003, 10:47: Message edited by: Le Skunk ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
"deez nutzels" is very simmilar to a move I do, except from a chase the sun, and the first poi goes btl from the front, followed by a 180 degree body turn and a btl with the other poi from behind so it comes up in front, followed by another 180 turn. I got it on tape last night, and it will probably make it into my next video.

I love that name "deez nutzels" and I would like to modify it slightly to describe my variant.
Since it is derived from a chase the sun (almost) I shall call it

"chase deez nutzels"

my other variant is where you do the exact thing you do (deez nutzels) except you end it by catching the poi strings in your teeth, close to the poi heads. (not with fire of course) I am thinking of calling it

"deez nutzels in ya mouth"

p.s. Astar, just playing around man

(edit for grammer)

[ 18. March 2003, 11:20: Message edited by: santanatrue ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Wow I finally managed to download it. Im not sure what was going on, it wasn't a matter of settings.

Anyways very nice. Good use of reverse and although the slow motion wasn't intentional it turned out perfect. You are busting some pretty crazy moves there to.

PS-fear learning the contact figure 8 in 20 minutes. It would take me 20 hours.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm in the video? Damn. Am I doing something cool at least?

I'll download it after my dialup weekly update from balloonfetish.com is complete. (Shouldn't you be twirling your baton or something you pansy.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Only got to see half of it before my Commodore 64 decided it had had enough.

It's SO nice that it's warming up. Looking forward to many more days in New York parks soon...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
ok nyc,

that's it. i've had enough, and i challenge you to a duel. that's right, your weapon of choice, a balloon, vs. me and my 5 point star shaped baton (the points are sharpened).

you're goin down, sucka!!!

Maybe what your commodore 64 needs is a VHS codec on that video...

skunk

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Crazy balloon ninja stars. What will they think of next?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Cool vid guys.. I like the tunes too!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
Great vid man...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I dig:
hats with ears cool
my main man mr Yorkcity, I know him
funky leg wraps
Wicked slow spinning style
I see that somebody is suffereing from fishtails, they do do that them slipperly little fishes
(20 minutes WTF witha a baton tell her to try it backwards, that'll heep her busy)
da Music and da end quote

and damnit that balloon fettish site is hot, way better than www.librarian-action.com

[ 19. March 2003, 01:46: Message edited by: Glåss ]

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
thanks everybody. so you gonna flatter my editing skills AND my style? that would make me liable to do this again sometime...

funny, the reverse fishtails thing, my girlie used to be a baton twirler so i got her a couple batons to play with...she was showing me her incredible arsenal of tricks and when she got to the fishtails, i asked if she can do it reverse. she goes "i'm not sure that's possible"
me: "try it, it has to be"
her: "oh yeah, i guess it is possible".
she had never even tried it before but had it down without droppping ONCE!!!

oooh, that makes me so horny, baby. and speaking of which, NYC, i am highly disappointed at the service on https://balloonfetish.com
, ordered 500 bags last week and i have yet to get shipment confirmation...
which of course results in a shining red emoticon of disappointment...

peax

skunk

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Sorry, having a bit of a moment here. In the wicked pisser, are the poi swinging in time, or 180 degrees apart? I was asking about the one where they enter from a usual btb weave, 180 degree separation.

J

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wots the trick where you jump 180 with the poi b/w your legs in butterfly timing?

tis well wicked!

I like the instant replay style tis all good.

Josh

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Ow, did you ever notice that written fire spinning directions suck? anyway, you should practive the wicked pisser with the hands together first, then try to get some separation between them...i can get some but usually it is more like a 90 degree than 180 cause my chains are too long...not exactly split time but close.

anyway i will probably be working on some kind of an instructional video/dvd soon, where advanced moves would be explained much more clearly and visually, but that will take a couple months...

[josh], that move you are talking about is as of yet unnamed. it's not new or anything, i just can't come up with anything worty as of yet...i am open to suggestions, but the name must be "well wicked" to stick...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
My coordination sucks so I'm having a little trouble with the wicked pisser.

I think I'm gonna get that yet un-named move first.

Maybe when I'm in NY for the sparkshop I'll have to ask you guys how to operate a computer so I can view some of these videos.
Non-Https Image Link

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
< me when trying to decipher written instructions.
Got the wicked pisser, I spent about two weeks practicing nothing but after I saw you do it in CoL3.
Nice to know it's not just me having problems getting the proper separation on the split time wicked pisser, anyway.

Advanced moves vid sounds like a good idea.

J

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I don't know how difficult it is to do these things on a DVD but heres an idea.

For the advanced move DVD utilize the angle function on dvd players so you can switch between diffrent angles of the moves being done. Like one angle focusing on the hands, one from the side and one wide angle from the front or something. You could also use chapters to organize the moves and diffrent parts of the instructional video so people can skip to diffrent parts. You could use subtitles so when people watch it in slow motion or frame by frame on their DVD players (both slow motion and frame by frame lack audio) you could just read the subtitles telling you what to do. Like "bring left hand over right etc..."

Page: