Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Ok this is my first draft, please let me know if you have other questions and we will try to answer them here.

In this FAQ I will try to help out both the people who want to view the videos and also those who want to host the videos.

1. How do I link to my video?

When creating your thread containing your video, and make it clear in the thread title the name of your video to allow people to find your video easily. Then please place a link either directly to your file or place a link to the web page linking to the file. Also note that this section is not for commercial use and will not be used as free advertising for commercial websites. If anyone is found in breach of this their thread will be removed.

2. How do I view the video?

To view the video please make sure you download the whole video first. This is done by right clicking the link to the file and choosing save target as… only download files once as the people who host these videos have limited bandwidth. This means that if the video is downloaded too many times the whole site goes down and nobody else can view the videos.

3. The video does not work what is wrong?

First make sure the video player you use, supports the file format you are trying to view. If you need the correct program the most popular ones are…

Windows Media Player
RealPlayer
Quicktime

If this still does not work you may require a codec. A Codec is a piece of software that is used to compress the files down to a manageable size so that you do not lose too much quality but can still have quick download times for them.

Some of the players will automatically download the appropriate codec. However the most popular codec used on this site is DivX which is downloadable from the DivX website..

4. Copyright

Please note that most of the videos will have copyright on them. Assume that all of them do and abide by the laws appropriating to them.

For those who do not know the restrictions of copyright I have placed a sample copyright notice here:

Terms and Conditions: The video and other intellectual property (collectively, "Materials") contained on this page are protected by copyright and international laws. You may only access and use the Materials for personal or educational purposes. You may not otherwise reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, modify or create derivative works of the Materials, unless authorized by the appropriate copyright owner(s). In the event that you print or distribute Materials found on this page, you must include any copyright notice originally included with the Materials on all copies. You may not link directly to any media file located on this page, and you should not attempt to "pass off" any Materials as your own work.

Excellent post about how to view videos

[ 14. June 2003, 19:23: Message edited by: Jez ]

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sweet mate - sounds very straightforward + sensible!
/pats jez on the hat.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
how many people does there have to be for it to clasify as a public performance?

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
While we're on the subject I jsut would like to ask everyone NOT to use the Windows Media Player format since only those of you who happen to have a PC can view it.

I would suggest using a more compatible format such as QuickTime, AVI, DivX or RealVideo.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Those of us who are posting videos HAVE TO use WMV format as it is the smallest compression available and our webspace is limited... as well as the bandwidth available to downloaders. Keeping it small is unfortunately our only option.

However, we do have an alternate site that hosts some of our videos in DivX format, and we very much appreciate them.

But yeah, it's not a matter of being considerate to Mac users so much as it is necessary to keep downloads small and quick for the sake of the viewers.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
What is the point of having a small and quick download if you can't view it?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Well, the majority of viewers are PC owners with slow connections, not MAC users with fast ones.

If you would like I can email you the DivX files for each movie we've produced, as I keep an archive of every movie in every format that we've released. But be aware that you're gonna be asking for files that range from 20-80MB in size each.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i wouldlike to add that any other media format other than divx and wmv are larger formats.
this is a real pain in the arse and means that it takes some of us longer to process the videos and upload them, i only have dialup access so in order to upload a hugh quick time format media file for the not so hugh ac users here is a real pain.
take for instance my morning coffee video, since june alone it has recieved 1500+ downalods 900 of wich were in a month alone, the first upload was an 80mb divx file which now is compressed down to some thing more tolerable in bandwidth usage.
when you take into consideration that i have more than just the one file availiable permenently my bandwidth gets used constantly, i supply my files on a free to use website www.poiinthepark.co.uk, i try my best to keep new stuff coming all of the time just as the other people do, but the more bandwidth people use by downloading my vidoes the more it costs me.
currently i use 2 servers, one alone for the HTML pages of my site with do not get updated much as there really isnt much need for me to do so and the second server hosts my message board and other items that also use a fair whack of bandwidth.
fair enough that there are some relativly cheap hosts out there that can offer 1000mb of bandwidth but they do not support the other services that i would require from a hosting package.
i am thinking of making my videos availiable on VHS PAL format at a cost price, but that is only some thing i am looking into at this time as i have so much to deal with else where as well as starting my own buisness and getting that off the ground in the next few months, maybe i will incorporate this in to that some how, as i have most of my vidoes on DV, i am looking into a TV out card right now to sort out getting the rest of my videos on to another format.

anyway, my point is, that other format files are going to cost us to do in more ways than one, for the unfortunate ones out there that chose to own a mac and not a pc, goto the net cafe and download the files, most cafes now run on broardband, some times i use them just to go and upload videos because i cant be arsed with the wait from dial up.
there is also that point that dial up takes for ever to download videos.... its nice to be able to cater for them as they are the majority.

as it goes, i will continue the way i have done so far for the foreseeable future and hope that the few mac users will be able to find a suitable way to view the videos, all i can say is sorry.

be kewl....

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I assume the copyright mentioned above only covers the copyright on the production of the video. What about music copyright? I have access to lots of music that I wouldn't have to woryy about copyright, but say if I like a song by Morcheeba and want to use it on a video could I get in shizzle, technically speaking of course??

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.