Forums > Videos > "Nick With Fire II" (and other videos)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I've finally put up new videos on thevenue.org's fire spinning section: https://www.thevenue.org/firespinning_videos.htm

In particular, for your viewing pleasure I bring you: Dervishly Yers (from now on, this one will be known as "Nick With Fire II"

I had more videos up for a while, but then I received a $75 invoice from my hosting company, for the 10+ Gigs of traffic that the videos generated. Sadly, I can't afford that. So I've cut back the video selection until I find a cheaper place to host the files, or until I figure out how to make more money fire spinning.

I've also posted video clips of environmentally friendly shake off techniques: Poi Shake Off and Staff Shake Off

I had "Nick With Fire" on the site for quite a while, and I received some great feedback from a variety of homeofpoi.com-sters. It meant a lot to me as inspiration, so here's back atcha.

Peace,

Nick

(p.s. I'll post these in quicktime and maybe another format as well as soon as I get my hands on the right software)

--

"A wise man can see more from the top of a mountain than a fool can from the bottom of a well"
-Proverb (my little brother told it to me)

[ 20. June 2003, 03:44: Message edited by: Meenik ]

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
nice one mate, been anxious to see this next installment.
so i predict the next 4 posts are gonna go soming like this...

1: wow

2: ****ing awsome

3: whats that move at 3.42?

4: i cant get it to download.

good old dial up, you really wanna see soming at it takes forever. *looks at watch, looks at screen 6%* i need broardband £££ *thinks to self* i could take some pills n shit and grow tits so blokes would do this they pay me 50 bucks just for looking and i get to slap em in the face and run off with their money while they lie on the floor unconcious.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow that was great! bustin out the btb, btl! man those are the greatest, huh? i've been getting into on ehand btb btl and the other still in front doing the other half of a butterfly in TTN, those are fun too, huh? darnit 1112 just beat me to the first post
okay had a bit too much tequila and dancing to make much sense but they thaks for the show... thanks to the capricious computer fairies for actually making the button do something this time somehow

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Downloading as we speak, be back in a bit to wipe the drool off my chin.

*edit* Just watched. I've said before and I'm sure we all agree, you're smooth. My only small dislike about it was the camera was zoomed too far for my liking. Too much so that I couldn't tell your lateral movement relative to anything, but that gave me a chance to see the look on your face of someone lost in the fire.

[ 19. May 2003, 02:14: Message edited by: NickC ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trait Of 1112™:
good old dial up, you really wanna see soming at it takes forever. *looks at watch, looks at screen 6%* i need broardband £££ *thinks to self* i could take some pills n shit and grow tits so blokes would do this they pay me 50 bucks just for looking and i get to slap em in the face and run off with their money while they lie on the floor unconcious.
heheh that's the most original description of dail-up frustration yet!!
/puts a shiny medal on 1112!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thanks again Nick, great stuff...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
OK, I've put up a more compressed version:

https://www.thevenue.org/videos/nickwithfire2_smaller.wmv

Is there a point to compressing it even further? Or does the quality begun to suck too much?

As for zoomed in-ness. Yeah, it's pretty zoomed in. We actually had another camera that was filming more zoomed out, I just don't have that footage yet. I can be terribly impatient, and I've been wanting to put up new videos so badly that I... I just couldn't wait! But I'll put up a couple more videos later this week.

In the long run I want to edit the footage together, so it's zoomed in for good up close bits and out for good full screen bits. My only concern is that it could look like I'm just editing out mistakes. There's something sweet about a single clip of an entire spin. I'm like that with martial arts movies: I hate it when they're using loads of super short clips. You can't tell whether they know what they're doing. That's why Crouching Tiger was soooo good, they used such long camera shots.

Thanks for the possitivity so far. It really does go a long way.

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
hell yeah!

nice vid! skwerl sighting at 2:07!

damn time to go film something for col4 huh...

skunk

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
props for mad funkyness and rolling smoothness

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That was very inspiring. Your flow and precision is second to none mate

really beautiful.

Josh

[ 20. May 2003, 22:02: Message edited by: [Josh] ]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmm

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Beautiful video Nick,

Can't think of much to say other than that really.

However I have to say I found your poi spin off video inspirational , I highly recommend your technique to everyone that uses fire poi.

That's an nifty grin you've got as well, reasuring in an insane kind of way

Cheers,
|dub|

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Here's another one!

https://www.thevenue.org/videos/dervishly_yers.wmv

This one is much more edited. It uses some of the footage from Nick With Fire 2, and some other footage from a more zoomed out camera. I edited to make it look like one spin, but it draws from three (don't tell anyone).

Peace,

Nick

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that effect man.

you can see all the petals on the flowers

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Nick - that is MARVELLOUS! I think the music really accentuates your style.. I really like the images that it conjours in my head.. I think you would look brillient all dressed up as a french mime artist - you know the kinda Pirot (sp) afair.. your movements really remind me of someone that used to busk in Brussels when I lived there.. keep it up man - you rock!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
MisStix, you are SO on the same page as me. A friend and I are already in the process of getting french mime/understated clown costumes together. You've just helped prevent me from procrastinating.

nk

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
meenik wow. Definatly amazing. This blows away the last video which I considered the holy grail of poi videos. The new camera angle really helps a lot. I love your crazy butterfly and chase separations you do (you call them compound circles/flowers) Im totally trying to learn to do them. Your style is so unique it's great. You definatly need a french mime outfit. Do you have any clowing/mime skills? Because if you did+your poi you could put together a great show. Do you only do tai chi or did you learn to move like that from somewheres else?

PS-You should cut out the camera audio in these so you don't get random noises and odd bits of poi swooshing.

PPS-Where do you find all this old music?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Nick, this is probably one of the most beautiful videos i have ever come accross.
i have watched all your videos so far and this one supassed every other, though nick with fire one was and still is one of my prized posesions in my extreme collection of fire videos this one is awsome, the use of editing and your shere skills and abilities to move so fluidly keeping all planes smooth, a high degree of transitions between a hugh variety of moves.
i generally find a video of just one performer some times hard to watch, but the way you move draws me in to it and makes me watch, where others make me turn them off.

truely mate, thanks for posting these new videos, i think you may have just inspired me to take up poi again and learn some new skills on some old moves to better myself and my poi.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I want to be just like you when I grow up!!!

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
well said, 1112!
well done, meenik!
:wipes tear from eye :

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kerinmember
9 posts

Posted:
Inspirational, I love that you dont so much spin as dance, because the spinning is just so much part of you when you move

but.

the single triple poi spin link just gives a 404 error, where is it?

“life seemed to be filled with things that were just like the ghost orchid. Wonderful to imagine and… easy to fall in love with, but a little fantastic... and fleeting… and out of reach.”

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I Cant see it!!!!MWAAHHHHHAAAA!!!!! stupid college computer.....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Oops. Single Triple Poi Spin now up and working again. Silly computer files. You hit delete and they just up and disappear on you.

Very touching feedback, there, folks. Kinda overwhelming in a way. There have been a few words from people over the last couple of years that will come back to me when I'm feeling unsure about whether it makes sense to be putting so much time into this. Sometimes I'll start to think that I should be doing something more realistic with my life, but then I'll remember somebody's kind words, and I'll jump right back into it.

The flip side is that it sometimes goes to my head, and I begin to develop a poi messiah complex. Then I get a big, humiliating kick in the ass from yogateacherguy.

And of course! SEPERATIONS!!! That's a great name for them! I might switch over. It's less technical than compound circles, but a more immediate description than flowers. Cool.

Oh, and the music is from the soundtrack to Amelie, except the elextronic track, which is by Intergalactic Faerie Funk.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I heard a couple of other amelie songs in your other videos. I downloaded just about every amelie song in kazaa.

Do you have any other sources for really old music?
All I really need is names. I find it really hard to find the stuff because it's tough comeing up with artist/album names.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the video Meenik, you have a beautifull effortless style.

I'd love to see you spin staffs man, any chance

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd mention it here:

I'm putting together poi retreats on Salt Spring Island (British Columbia, Canada) for August. Details at https://www.thevenue.org/poilessons.htm

As for old music, I don't know any other good sources, but would love to know some. I move pretty well to drunken accordian

Working on "tricks" video...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You also take the nicest poi pictures which i keep seeing in the gallery. What's your trick to get such nice solid trails?

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Let's see...

We used a 35mm camera on a tripod. 400speed film. We shot at dusk. My photographer friend had control over the shutter with a little button on the end of a cord. I tried to keep my body still and move only the poi.

As for such nice trails. It's partly due to my control with my planes... and partly due to taking dozens of photos. We only got a few good ones per roll.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Well I knew of all the other methods but I think I know what the key is. A perfect plane spun really slow and a fairly slow shutter speed. You definatly spin slower then most people and I think a lot of people spin extra fast when they know people are takeing pictures to make more intricate patterns.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
is that a no to staffs then

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Meenik:
We only got a few good ones per roll.
said like a pro mate, cant not go wasting frames.

thats probably the best method, with a release cable you dont get camera shake, have you ever tried taking slow shutter pics with no release cable and no tripod in the freezing cold snow.... erm bizare effects.

Page: