Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Many of us in the Northern Hemisphere are now swiftly approaching winter which means hellaciously cold temperatures, shoulder deep drifts of snow and darkness that seems to never end. In the thread about poi addiction, Knagi asked what people did to defeat winter blues, as he lamented about packing up all of his gear for the season. I thought this warrented it's own thread, as I know many will soon be experiencing this feeling.As for me...I put nothing away, practice indoors sans fire and light up outdoors when it isn't too brutal. The snow and ice adds an interesting element to the area glow. Then again, I also am doing my Christmas show every weekend from now until Christmas Eve and I have a Ren Faire in Florida in January currently under negotiation. I just keep plugging away. My LED set helps alot with that too! (thank you Malcolm! smile)NExt!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
We still kicked on during the winter months, not as often as during summer, but there are times when its possible, and as Pele said, beamers anf fluro are still the go.Fire bans in Australia will mean that we wont be able to play with fire as much either...bummer, but wont stop us playing at all!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
During the winter, we used to light up under a bridge in the middle of town. It was pretty cold at times, but it was alot of fun. ------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Usually I just go back and read this...https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000917.html

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
Ya I"m not much of a winter person, especially when it puts a damper on something I love, but what ya going to do about, Maybe I'll move to Australlia "what do ya think"LatersMatty

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Yep everybody can move here. But I don't suggest coming on an old rickity fishing vessel. Apparently our government don't like that at all.*sorry more political view, slaps hand*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm giving serious thought to moving to Australia.The women are prettier there for one thing. grin tongue wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Try NZ, they're even prettier than the ..um ..er... (realises what he's saying and runs away, constantly looking over his shoulder)..FORGET I SAID ANYTHING ----------------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
:: pout ::I realise that the US is a laughing joke to you other countries, and that the percentage of American men compared to women on here is high but still.....Chopped Liver anyone?:: pout :: wink[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 07 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes, anyone with a significant other goes in the "chopped liver" pile. Been there, done that, broke up a marrage, lost the girl, found the girl, can't get rid of the girl, going out to dinner with the girl tommorow night, just friends, really.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And you've got a date with Superman in the graveyard to look forwards to as well NYC!------------------C@ntus

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I do? (Does a quick search for "graveyard + Superman") Oh! I must have missed that post!No dice, like I said, I don't care how hot Sup is, no more lusting after people with significant others...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh well, in that case, I'm single! *Flutters his eyelashes at NYC*------------------C@ntus

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
lol @ that link NYC, it seems that there is always something weather related to complain about.------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Twirl fire indoors - save on heating and improve you skills at the same time wink

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
not to mention you`ll have lovely patterns on the wall.. "and here is where the wick hit" --- you could pass it off as a picaso replica... or a monet.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
For indoor twirling, those of you who have a designated "twirling room" (I know you're out there!) I think it would be cool to get a couple of paint cans with a very small hole(s) in the base and attach them to your poi (or staff if you must Cantus wink) then twirl them in that room.A very suitable decor for the room methinks. Alternatively, you could leave anything you normally have in the room in the room and decorate them too smile-------------------------------------------Take thy beak from out my heart,and take thy form from off my door!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Ah, winter...Not so good for practising unlit, I'll grant that. Downright unpleasant even (though a spin is certainly one way to work some heat into those frozen limbs).But if you've not tried fire in the snow, I have GOT to recommend it. That's how we spent a good chunk of New Year's Day last year. Important to warm up first so you're reasonably supple before the flames start roaring, but once you're lit, the reflections off the snow look magical, there's something way primal about the flame and ice conjunction, and joy of joys, the heat from the kerosene keeps you nice and toasty.Plus of course, in summer it takes along time to get dark. Already, when i go home from work, it's pretty dark, pitch black by 6:30pm, so that's hours and hours of dark twirling time.Give it a try.mikeyB

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I twirl indoors. I usually work out the mechanics of new moves in the comfort of the house. Then go and play outside for an hour or so 'til I've got them flowing nicely.That's the benifit of using practice staffs in conjunction with fire ones. You can play anywhere regardless.------------------C@ntus

Meh

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Aaaand for us poor, non-fire people.... frown

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Erm.....

Meh

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I know what you all mean. Last night at the spin meet there was this icy north wind blowing and I wasn't the only one who thought my fingers had seized up (stupid english language, what happened to i before e except after c. I don't get it and english was my best suject a school!) and my ears felt like if you touched them they would break!!To all you non-fire ppl (and you fire ppl if you wanna) my advice would be Get a van, put a sofa in it, cut a hole in the ceiling for chimney, install a woodburner, drive your mates out to somewhere nice, light burner and hey presto somewhere nice and warm to snuggle in between spins!Works for me (i'm installing burner this weekend. BBrrrrr)Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
erm....probably not a good place to complain about my sunburn, huh? grinx------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Complain away honey.So Charles, pretty girls in New Zealand you say.....------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 09 November 2001).]

Meh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
heeeeey you're possibly the first other person I've encountered who's actually heard of NMA, let alone quoting it ;-) I'm impressed. x

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They're local boys. And Justin Sullivan is a brilliant poet/singer etc.Do you like the Levellers as well?------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 10 November 2001).]

Meh

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
I have an escape... A group of friends have rented a dance studio on the weekend for a 2 hour practice session. Can't light up but at least it's heated and there is plenty of room to spin and keep current.Bit

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have an escape. Move aside that old stove (careful. Don't burn your hands). Underneath is a tunnel. If my calculations are correct, it should take us right under the wire and into that stand of trees over there.Now, if the information Bingo supplied us with is correct, beyond the trees is a road. We follow that north until we come to a river then it's just a hop, a skip and a jump from there into Switzerland.And Jerry will be none the wiser....------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
nope, haven't heard of the levellers....I used to live half an hour south of Paekakariki Beach though :-) The song doesn'd do it justice.x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
kneurbit - yeah, I occasionally used the dance studio down at the uni rec center during winter (when I was brave enough to leave the house to get there, that is). I know it sounds posey, but I found having a bunch of mirrors around me *so* useful for learning new moves and working on my style. That and the fact that I could actually feel my extremeties ;-)x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*has a wistful, faraway look in his eye*------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 11 November 2001).]

Meh

Page: