Page:
pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
So George Bush and his entourage are coming to London. Is anybody else feeling uncomfortable about having this murderous simpleton in Britain, not to mention his gang of gun-toting security guards? Could the timing be any worse for a state visit, given the current public feeling on the situation in Iraq?

It does give us an opportuniy to show The world what we think of Bush and his policies, and it looks like there are going to be massive protests here..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think pro-war people have a hard time looking at the big picture and a bit of misplaced confidence in bush.

Yeah saddam is a bad guy, granted. What is the US doing to ensure that another bad guy doesn't come back? Or one of saddams puppets? I see nothing, do you see anything? It seems like they are just occupying the country, they can't do that forever (if they do, I gurantee you will begin to see suicide bombings on wallstreet)

Where pro-war protestors see only protecting the interests of the US and iraq, I think anti-war protestors (those who are intelligent) see iminent jeopardy for the interests of the entire middle east and ultimatly the world.

Do you know why the iraqi people haven't overthrown saddam himself? Because they are all starving to death from un sanctions. IMO the un sanctions have hurt more iraqi people then saddam ever has (as twisted as the guy is, most people under his rule aren't executed or totured, or even know anyone who was. But they all certainly know people who are starving, people who have brittle bones from malnutrition, they know people who have been effected by street thug criminals.

How do you expect a bunch of starving people to overthrow saddam? Or do anything but survive from day to day? We know one thing about how revolutions work, they very rarely happen when a country is at it's lowest point but when people have enough food stored away and enough security so they can go out and fight a revolution (like they are doing now that they have lots of foreign aid, It just so happens theres no saddam around to fight so they are fight the most obvious agressors who most recently blew up their family and interupted their daily lives)

I think the question is why hasn't people been protesting sanctions?

Because there is no media circus about sanctions, theres no headline news about starving iraqis. Theres certainly enough news about the war in iraq and thus naturally theres going to be more people protesting it. Maybe if bush didn't go about promoteing the war like he was promoteing a used sales lot, we might see a higher calibre of protestors, but he came off as so crass, arrogant and generally stupid that he raises nearly everyones defenses.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ta dave. needed to know that.

i read the post on gut feelings, it was just the generalisation on protesters rather than in my opinion 'some' protesters.

i truly feel that protesting for the sake of it is wrong. and also that most people on most protests have a good reason and a true interest in seeing a proper resolution of the problem rather thatn 'you are wrong. we are right' opinion that many full time protesters seem to have.

Laytin my point about protesting every day was made in direct response to the statement "I find it a little strange that millions of people are taking to the streets to protest about American involvement, but most of them did nothing when that regime was routinely torturing and killing its population"

obviously there are a few. i was referring to the masses.

going to withdraw from this arguement. now. as otherwise i'll end up spending many $ on someone elses phone line over the next few days but will continue to read.

ta for your ears(and eyes!).

R wave
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1069483941)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
a nine year old girl's view on things...."i fought for my people to be free,why can't wars be done verbally?"she goes on to talk about soldiers in heaven.......it's pretty simple,innit? smilei know this is not terribly intellectual an' all, but this is where i am in my life right now,i spend a lot of time with kids,and as they are the future,maybe we should listen to them.
People will say you can't talk to people like saddam and osama,but bombing the [censored] out of innocennts isn't the way forward either.Can't we just focus our resources and energy on getting the people who commit the crimes..? (on both sides...)

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Astar, the reason the people of Iraq didnt overthrow Sadam was not the fault of UN sanctions, it was because when ever someone spoke out against Sadam, they were killed. Publicly! An example was made out of them and their families.

Starving people have overthrown governments befor. The Scots did it, the colonists did it, the English over the Romans. Wars of freedom are won by the heart, not the full belly.

What is the US doing to insure that a proper government is placed in Iraq and not a former Sadam loyalist or a tyrant as bad as Sadam? To be perfectly honest, I dont know, but I do know that just because it hasnt been done yet, doesnt mean that it will never be done. There are two sides to the coin of Iraq, what has been done and what has yet to be done. Rome wasnt built in a day and neither will Iraq.

WoodyNymph, a childs logic is often a wonderful thing and if reality fell along those lines the world would be a much better place.

Unlike terrorisim, civilians are not routienly targeted by US and Allie forces. I dont know why you think that. If you have heard tragic and horrific stories and think that is the norm, please try to look at the big picture of what has happend in a war and then you will find that civilian casualties have been kept to a minimum unlike previous wars.

I am not pro-war nor am I anti-war, I feel that one must do what one must do. Sadam needed removed from power, I feel that Bush Blair and the Oz PM did what they needed to do to get rid of him. I also feel that there is more work to be done, the balance in that region has been turned on its head, it will take time to right things and make Iraq a better place to live. I have faith that what was started will be finished. I only ask that the rest of the world has faith as well, it will make things go alot easier. cool peace

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Wow I don't even know where to begin...*note to self: read this thread more than every couple of days* I may attack the issues out of order but here goes:

Adding fuel to the fire: The fuel was quite amply fed out of the tanks of four planes on September 11, 2001. Had England been attacked as America was thier people would have cried for blood just as ours did. I admit Afghanistan was a crusade. It was an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. We laid waste to the Taliban and Al Queda not for any political reason but merely avenging the blood of our brothers. The world may not see it as right but when it was one of your relatives in those towers or in the pentagon you too would have been screaming for justice. Just those who sat on that day and saw the footage of planes flying into towers, people jumping from burning buildings, the towers crumblings, scenes that seemed from a movie not real life, those people should understand why we went after Afghanistan. The terror attacks started with 9/11 not with the war, not with increased American presence in the Middle East, they started the day those planes were hijacked.

Bush and his regime toppling: There is no way in hell America can save the world. We can't plow through Korea, Iran, China, Russia, etc...just to rid the world of evil dictators. We don't have the manpower and we don't have the international support. Why does America have to be the fix it nation? When was the last time France or England or any of the European countrys came to the aid of a country in need? However..we can take care of some of the world's problems a little at a time. Iraq being one of them. Saddam had to go. You call my President a murderer. You say he had no right to try to liberate the people of Iraq. Yet... you say nothing of Saddam. You call him not a murderer you almost seem to martyr him. You tell me that my President has a thirst for oil that only a conquest of Iraq with slake. Yet..you say nothing of Saddam.....You cry out for proof that America is helping to make Iraqi life better. I give you your proof with one word. Bechtel. Do you know who Bechtel is? They are the multi-billion dollar company that is in Iraq as we speak rebuilding schools, making Iraqi energy more efficient, rerouting water systems, fixing things Saddam destroyed. You want progress? You have to give progress time. We can't just march in there and two days later march out with Iraq running perfectly with the perfect leader. It takes time....time the rest of the world isn't willing to give. This is a means to an end and I believe if given time the means will more than justify the end.

America is not the personification of evil. Our government isn't evil, for those of you Americans who forget YOU made the government. Everyone of those people in office YOU PUT THERE. If you don't like them and you think you could do a better job perhaps YOU should run for office. Then you can fix America to your liking. So who of you is running for President? What is your platform? Where do you stand? Hrmm??

hug kiss beerchug

Always Beautiful

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Spanner, it was an attempt to get you and others to look at things through someone elses eyes. Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that called apithy? It really wouldnt matter what they were protesting, after all it was hypothetical ubbangel

Zyanya, you are right, things are being done. To be honest, this was the first time I and possibly others have heard of Bechtel. Would you happen to have a link to a site about them?

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Our government isn't evil, for those of you Americans who forget YOU made the government. Everyone of those people in office YOU PUT THERE.

I just can't help it..The point I've been trying to make is the FACT that we DIDN'T put him there!! Don't you watch the news, stay informed? More and more evidence has piled up on how defunct the results of the election recount in florida were! Is at coicidence that the state just happened to have a governer in place who was a Bush as well? no.. Was it a coincidence that the same(Jeb) Bush was having an affair with Katherine Harris, in charge of the election recount but that information was quashed from the(govt controlled) media?!? NO..This really pisses me off when ppl try and say I dont have a right to complain because I put him there. As a matter of fact I voted for Gore, which gives me just as much a right to complain, even tho I don't buy the whole 'if you didn't vote you don't have a right to complain' bit anyways(it's an opinion, use it), we see what good voting does now!! No worries tho, I'm still lining up for the polls this november, cause I want his neanderthal hillbilly a@@ out of office and get started fixing all the damage that he has caused in his term. It's funny, with almost all presidents I can think of at least ONE good thing that came from their office(even Clinton!!), but this president will go down in history as the WORST president ever.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

70 posts

Posted:
go to bechtel.com....on the front page it has info....

Always Beautiful

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Mushashii, every hear of public acess? Tell your facts to the world. Why are you waiting for the media to do it? Yes everyone does have the right to dissagree with what the leaders of our country are doing. If you feel things are awery speek out, write editorials, be the change smile

I have read "Stupid White Men" too, but for every bit of evidence Moore can come up with there is going to be someone on the other end with evidence disagreeing with it. I dont know where it is, but I know it is there. Because the universe is a series of opposites, there is truth and there is lie, fabrication and genuine article, good and evil. Each shows the eye what it wants to see. Be careful you are not being led down a certain path just because you have read it in a "New York Times Best Selling Book". beerchug

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Spanner, my attempt to get you to look through the eyes of the protested was what I meant by apathy. Now dont quote me, I could be mistaken as to what apathy is. smile Contrary to populer belief I am not perfect, I'm just a bartender! ubblol beerchug

I dont think the current administration cares what the world thinks. But then again I bet you I can find a million people in California alone who support the war! I would bet that the majority of the population of Kuait supports it too.

Bush did choose a very contriversial way of "liberation", but I for one cant buy the idea that Sadam was going to be talked down.

I doubt that "aid" means war in any sence of the word, but the Iraqi people were not strong enough to overthrow Sadam, and I have already said how I dont believe he could be talked down... what other choice is there?

Terrorisim will never be defeated, especially when the word can be applied to many differnt areas. If someone really wanted to, they could link terrorisim and the laughable "War on Drugs"! The idea is to get rid of these large cells of people hell-bent on killing whoever they wish just because they dont like their religion/race/ethnicity and the list goes on. That may not be accomplished to a "T" but it can make a difference and that is all we should expect.

This is what Bush is trying to do, he knows that if you give a school yard bully a reddend cheek he will swing back (that is what we are currently seeing) but if you keep fighting back the bully will eventually tire and though the bully is still there and will swing every now and then, you have lessend his ability to go for the one punch knock out.

Nobody said something like that would be easy and wound free and the fight may never be over, but lessening the power they have is the best you can really hope for.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Starving people have overthrown governments befor. The Scots did it, the colonists did it, the English over the Romans. Wars of freedom are won by the heart, not the full belly.

The English over the Romans? Hmm... I thought it was the Goths that sacked Rome.

Or has some new archaeological evidence been found?

Raph

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Well the Mother of England was a Celt, but on the isle of what we call England (Seen as how the UK is more than just England). Though there is a significant cultural differance, they can still be roped into one name. Though she did not win the indipendance the movment was started and succeded even after her scuicide. wink

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Well the Mother of England was a Celt, but on the isle of what we call England (Seen as how the UK is more than just England). Though there is a significant cultural differance, they can still be roped into one name. Though she did not win the indipendance the movment was started and succeded even after her scuicide. wink

Are you referring to Bodicea?

Of the large numbers of Romans her army killed, the majority were homesteaders, NOT the military forces she opposed. I realize this isn't as pretty a picture as many choose to paint, but fact is fact.

It was STILL the Goths who sacked Rome, not the Britons.

I'm trying to figure out what Bodicea has to do with your argument, so hopefully in the next go around you can explain it to me. smile

Raph

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Well... if you look at the context of the original quote you selected, you would see that it was valid in the argument. Starving people have overthrown tyranical governments befor. Thats all, and like I said before, yes she did not succede in the overthrow attempt, it was a catalist in the cause.

The sacking of London, definatly delt with some major military forces, so it wasn't all farmers vs. farmers wink

I hope this helps you understand my post, if not please feel free to PM any questions to me that way we can get off the history lesson and back to our debate... that is unless nobody has anything else to add, in that case pull out your History 101 and turn to chapter 2 biggrin ubblol

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
adding fuel to the fire- the tanks of four planes- how many people died in s11- 3000-3400. True it was a tragedy and a crime.
However, how many people died in afghanistan and iraq since??? according to official figures, 1500 civilians were killed and 8000 injured in Baghdad alone (this figure does not count people who "may or may not have been civilians" eg soldiers who just went home to protect their family) so most probably a hell of a lot more, and that is only one city and its limited official figures. Oh, and 511 coalition casualties so far.

"Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" you say zyanya bella... but it is precisely this attitude that the US displayed after S11 that will now be taken up by all the millions of people who loved those who died as a consequence of US indiscretion. For they will also lust for revenge for the deaths of their beloved brethren. The one effective way they know is terrorism. Justice? If this is your attitude then you can certainly expect a lot more American blood to flow, do not be suprised by people who take to the streets to loudly profess they want no part in this fallacy of justice by declaring Bush a persona non grata in Britain.

Just because Iraq is being slowly rebuilt and the dictator is gone, this disgustingly machiavellian foreign policy is still grossly unacceptable to many of us, and we will not be afraid to say so.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Nice foot your magisty tongue hehe j/k

Everyone is well within their rights to protest whatever it is that they see fit, as long as it is in accordance with the law. So far I have not heard of any illeagle protesting, though impeading the flow of trafic... wink hehehe

Please, if you havent yet, go and find where I was talking about the school yard bully. That may shed some light on the "why" portion of a war on terror.

Also, another aspect of the anti/pro war debate. What would have happend if the US had just sat back and licked it's wounds and not done anything? Would this have invited more terrorisim against the country or possibly world, or would it have been just those four attacks then nothing? I have money on the first scenario frown

70 posts

Posted:
If we had done nothing we would have just as much turmoil as we do now. "This big dog will bite when you rattle his cage" rattle they did and bite we did. I can't justify the casualties other than saying that they are the price of war...on both sides. War is an unfortunate but sometimes necessary evil. hug kiss beerchug

Always Beautiful

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
rolleyes I don't believe that..

hug

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I was staying out of this, but had a little time on my hands.

"This is what Bush is trying to do, he knows that if you give a school yard bully a reddend cheek he will swing back (that is what we are currently seeing) but if you keep fighting back the bully will eventually tire and though the bully is still there and will swing every now and then, you have lessend his ability to go for the one punch knock out. "

I read this and thought it was a quaint analogy, but unrealistic. First, you do not solve a bully's problems by hitting them. Any decent teacher will tell you that. Secondly the fact is that vast numbers of people, far, far more than live in the US, see the US as the bully, someone who needs to be given a 'reddened cheek'. And there's a lot of people with no other way to get to the US than terrorism, so they'll keep doing it until the US stops.

Now imagine that playground is full of good friends. A new kid turns up at the school and starts bossing one of the kids about. What do the other kids do? They group together to work against the new kid. The new kid can try to bully as many as possible, but more and more people will fight against him.

There is no 'Al Quaeda' organising all these terrorist attacks. There is no great enemy. There are literally millions of people who are driven to terrorism as the only way of drawing attention to and fighting for legitimate political, ethical and humanitarian issues. Can you not imagine how bad somebody's life must have been for them to think that the only good thing they can do it kill themselves for a cause they believe in? What's happened to them to so remove all hope and opportunity?

So surely the way to fight terrorism is not to keep imprisoning a constant stream people fighting for what they believe in, but to tackle the underlining issues that have driven the move to terrorism.

This begins to answer the next point:
"What would have happened if the US had just sat back and licked it's wounds and not done anything? Would this have invited more terrorisim against the country or possibly world, or would it have been just those four attacks then nothing?"

If you're really interested, and have time for a long read, please look through the other anti-war threads as I've talked about this before. You seem to have a black and white view of this: that after 9/11 the US had 2 choices: go to war to do nothing. In fact there were many more options. Options more mature, reasonable and complex than the simplistic "let's go round up them evil doers" attitude that's cost a lot more lives than since, and will continue to do so for decades to come.

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"This big dog will bite when you rattle his cage" rattle they did and bite we did. I

Zyanya Bella, I'm sure you have a good point behind this simplistic sounding rhetoric so would you please tell me who did the rattling and how they did it?

It sounds to me like a better way to use your analogy would be to say "This dog will go out of its mind and bite whoever the hell it wants to if anybody rattles his cage" rattle somebody did and bite an awful lot of people they have and continue to.

I probably misunderstood what you meant though so please elaborate. wink

once again, who do you mean by "they" and what do they have to do with iraq?

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Your are right Dom, things must have been really bad for NI to start blowing up every royal car they saw in the greater London area!

I do enough research while at school, and would like to be lazy while away wink so if you have the time, could you please reiterate (sp) the other options? I will admit that there are other possibilities. I do wonder who they would have talked to? The countries that surround the main area of Al' Quieda? I wonder what that would have accomplished.

It is always fun to play "What Ifs?" My Religoius History prof. always likes to throw those out at us. Though when you really think about it, it doesnt matter what could have been done, because the chance to discover alternate options has passed and we must decide what to do with the circumstances in front of us right now.

So, I proppose this to all who disagree with what is being done right now, if you were in Bush's place right now, what would you do? Please dont say what you would have done two years ago, what would you do TODAY Nov. 26/27?

wan hwo ren, the quote is from a song sung by Toby Keith, entitled "Curtosey of the Red, White and Blue". It is a song about the artists feelings after the attacks on Sep 11.

The "Big Dog" bit the person who rattled its cage, but then went after that persons brother too. It didnt go crazy, how do I know this?? Canada still exists right? tongue

I know it will sound harsh but I really have no sympathy for the Queens gardens. Grass will regrow and the plants will be back after winter. Life will go on. cool peace

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
thanks for the clarification Laytin smile

now could you please explain why you consider iraq to be related to either the taliban or al quaeda? It has been my understanding that Sadam Hussein did not get along with either of those two groups. I guess they are both Arab, is that why you call them brothers?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Interesting article with different views about what to do about Iraq now.

"Though when you really think about it, it doesnt matter what could have been done, because the chance to discover alternate options has passed and we must decide what to do with the circumstances in front of us right now."

I completely disagree with this statement. Looking at what could have been done better is a way of learning and improving. Be it your daily life or international politics, we should always analyse our history in order not to repeat past mistakes. And a lot of options open to the US after 9/11 are still open now. But then the US had the sympathy of the world, and now it's going to be hard for the US to make up for it's abuse of that sympathy.

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
You are absolutly right Dom, allow me to change my reply a bit, yes it is important to learn and see what could have been done so that we may avoid the mistakes of our past... but should we dwell on it? That I think we souldnt.

Is Iraq linked to Alquieda or the Taliban? I have no idea and dont recall ever saying so. Yet there isnt a soul here that will say that what Sadam did to the people of Iraq was anything short of cause unsermounted terror.

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The "Big Dog" bit the person who rattled its cage, but then went after that persons brother too.

Laytin, I'm assuming that you are saying that al quaeda rattled the cage and iraq is the 'brother'. You may think I am making too big of a deal of this, but I am just trying to really understand your point of view, which is much different from mine. ubbidea

So please clarify, why do you consider iraq to be related to either the taliban or al quaeda?

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:

Can you not imagine how bad somebody's life must have been for them to think that the only good thing they can do it kill themselves for a cause they believe in? What's happened to them to so remove all hope and opportunity? to quote dom.

I've thought of this and the only thing that would drive me to such an act would be immense suffering like injustice,loss of loved ones......thanks for making this point so clearly,and the rest................ ubbangel

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Wen Hwo Ren, yes I said that and yes that is sorta what I meant, though I will admit that I forgot that I said it. I apologise for that ubbangel

Quote:

I've thought of this and the only thing that would drive me to such an act would be immense suffering like injustice,loss of loved ones

And that didnt happen on Sep 11?

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
Laytin,
You're not the first war supporter that I've asked about things, I don't want to be confrontational, I really am interested in opinions that are different than mine.

What I generally find though is that I can't get a straight answer.

First you imply that iraq is related somehow to the taliban or al quaeda and then when asked to explain you revert to the standard reply of it doesn't really matter anyways because sadam was bad

Quote:

Is Iraq linked to Alquieda or the Taliban? I have no idea and dont recall ever saying so. Yet there isnt a soul here that will say that what Sadam did to the people of Iraq was anything short of cause unsermounted terror.

Which is it? Did the US invade iraq out of anger over 911 or was it because sadam was a bad guy?

I think that I am open to listening to other people's views, but it doesn't seem that you are interested in explaining yours.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have actually thought your ideas through and would like to explain them. Please prove me right on this assumption.
wink

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
wan hwo ren- its neither. The US officially went to war with iraq over WMDs (which have not yet been found i might add) which were a threat to their national (in)security.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
I am sorry, I am not a pro-war person. I may be pro to this war, but please dont rope me into a catagory of warmongering dimwitts ubbloco

I am not an expert, and I do not know 100% why the US decided to invade. What I know is what I think its reasons were and what the media says.

WMD I believe played some minor part in all this. Now, Iraq violated UN sanctions that had been in place since the early 1990's, nothing was done by the UN to not only stop this but to punish these actions. The US as part of the UN were obligated to respond, like every other UN nation. Just because the UN didnt want to as a whole, did not remove the obligation they had.

Now Iraq has be placed in the same catagory as the Taliban and Al 'Quida (man I really need to learn how to spell that tongue ) because they are all considerd the enimy in the War on Terror.

In truth this means that they are both being attacked because of a "link" to what happend on Sep 11 and becuse of their own unlawful practices.

If this doesnt answer your questions, I dont know what will. History major, not political science tongue

Page: