Forums > Social Discussion > Elmo, Georges secret weapon.....

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
in combating anti-Americanism.

click here

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Is it really combating anti-Americanisim? I dont think so, well... not intentionally anyway. It is however trying to reach out to young kids and promote positive ideals that should be found everywhere reguardless of country.

BTW... Cookiemonster was always my fav

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
nah...its bert and ernie all the way.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
"They are learning English, they are learning about American values." "

Yep, America thrives off it's ability to conjour lightning, live in dustbins, talk to big breasted/long legged birds, and trust people with stupid voices and odd shaped heads...... ...

I do like the "former ad executive made undersecretary of State for public diplomacy in 2001" being called Ms Beers.....and the fact "Iraqi prisoners were treated to repeated playings of the ditty at ear-splitting volume by US psychological operations officers intent on encouraging their captives to submit to questioning"

Most people would have played Boyzone or something....

Last point though is "Indeed, the Muppet character Kami - while enthusiastically received in Takalani Sesame - was seen as so offending American morals that a group of influential Republican politicians issued a letter calling for Sesame Street not to introduce a similar storyline to its domestic shows.
"

I'm assuming that that is the HIV infected character they were talking about in the paragraph previous.....how educating the next generation to the dangers of deadly viruses is offensive I won't understand.

I know....lets all bury our heads in the sand and pretend everything's "A-OK"
(*Wanders off whistling*)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
As things go Sesame Street is a pretty good brainwashing - it's what I was brought up on, along with classic Godzilla and G-Force! In the Street everyone's friendly and things work out ok in the end. And they smile lots, and that ain't bad!

Influential Republican politicians! They make me want to give up pacifism!

2,905 posts

Posted:
Damn Smallboy, you're being pretty criticle of what a fictional character looks like. Would you rather they grow up on the other shows out there? I mean, things could be alot worse than teaching a child to share and count and say their alphabet.

The use of loud annoying music has been used for decades, by many countries. hehe, I think it is one of the most cruel forms of nonphysical torture hehehe

I dont understand why they wouldnt want a HIV infected character in the States either. Personally I think it would be a good thing, it might even teach kids to be accepting of everyone. Something all kids in every country need to learn.

Dom, you can hardly blame the current US government for the way you were brought up. I know you think GWB is the root of all evil but you know what?? He isnt. While you were a kid he was still trying to get his first few businesses to fail.

Is it stupid that they are trying to say that caring and sharing are souly American values? yes, are the characters on the show saying that? Personally I dont know, but if they arnt, then what does it matter what the idiots in charge are saying?

The percentage of the world that speeks English is on the rise, whats wrong with teaching people that? I know that people think English and get the idea of America, but there are a handfull of other countries out there that speek English other than the States.

Ohh well... keep your dilusions that the US is out to take over the world one child at a time.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Be afraid, very afraid
quote:
The US Army - which partly sponsors the show's makers, the New York-based Children's Television Workshop - certainly loves Sesame Street.
quote:
Iraqi prisoners were treated to repeated playings of the ditty at ear-splitting volume by US psychological operations officers intent on encouraging their captives to submit to questioning.
Is this a wind up????

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

2,905 posts

Posted:
You would be supprised at the events the US military sponsors. The USMC Sponsors NASCAR and X-Games just to name a few.

Actually I was agreeing with most of what was said Frosty. Well with definate exception to what you and Dom said. Perhaps you missunderstood me.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Can i ask, Ray, if you have actually re-read the thread?

Because if you haven't, how do you know that you haven't misunderstood it all?

(this is not just for Ray, but for any lurkers who may be doing the same thing)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?