Forums > Social Discussion > Death of Mr Vieira de Mello

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I haven't posted seriously in here for a very long time, and almost don't want to do so. I don't want this thread to become a debate.

Instead I want to commemorate the loss of life of those who died in the bombing of the UN headquarters in Baghdad.
information here

Amongst the dead was a senior UN official called Sergio Vieira de Mello. He was one of those who oversaw East Timor's transition to peace. Such a tragic irony that a person who was part of a successful move to nationhood in one part of the world, died in Iraq.

[ 20. August 2003, 20:03: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
With Israel and Iraq yesterday was a bad day for peace

Luckily the UN isn't letting terrorists win, but unfortunately Israel is

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive never posted here before, but im going too,
and all i have to say really is that i think its
amazing how stuff like this still happens, i mean, theres this huge anti western feeling in iraq and its still a suprise when they bomb the UN. youd think that with all this incredibly sophisticated technolegy someone would anticipate and be on the look out for things like lorrys full of explosives and things like that... basically theyve removed all form of government from the country and therfore anarchy is what you must expect, anarchy is what theyve got.

anyway thats just my views

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I don't really get your point. In a normal, organised, governed country it's impossible to prevent crime, even mass organised terrorism involving truck loads of explosives. Reference: IRA, Oklahoma bombing, Bali, etc.....

Add the chaos of Iraq, and the fact that every household in Iraq has weapons in it.

It's a surprise because the UN has been there for so many years and is generally seen as neutral, even anti-US. And because the UN's mission in Iraq is to help rebuild and feed people they choose not to have high security to appear more open the people.

There's speculation that the attack was in response to the UN resolution passed last week approving and welcoming the new Iraq government set up my the Americans.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
why???
The UN was against the US invasion...
A very sad event.
Now the IMF and World Bank are pulling their people out of iraq- leaving even less of a chance the interim government will get any monetary aid from them...
very bad news, although thankfully the UN has decided stay.
An extremely choice of target.
lots of people there were also in charge of co-ordinating the ngo aid missions.

Oli- you're post doesn't make much sense, the UN are not even "western" they are worldwide and although they took some customary measures of precaution
1 they weren't even considering themselves a possible target and
2 there isn't much you can do against a truck filled with 500kg of explosives driven by a kamikazee.

PS - i dont mean to get at you in any way oli, just trying to explain.
PPS - I echo your sentiment rozi, It is a post for commemoration not debate.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Really oli's post just underlines the tragedy here. Yes, it could have been predicted that the UN would be a target, because although they are an international body, they are perceived as a western institution. And as Dom said, they are deliberately keeping security unobtrusive in order to better serve people.

Will post more soon, but just wanted to talk about that.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...