Page:
Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
4-6 months!!

It will take 4-6 months for the UN to move into Lybia to bring peace to that country and to feed the starving people. Thats just to start.

The US is already working on the situation.

Why the hell arnt you people bitching and raising hell?

Why arnt you protesting the UN's lack of action?

Yall are all hypocrytes, you dont want to do anything but bash the US. Face it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

2,905 posts

Posted:
Okay Frosty, looks like we will just have forclose on our loans to the French for their railway, the Brittish for the reconstruction efforts after WWI and WWII. Also it would be a good idea to stop spending 10 billion on Isrial.

Then again, guess what, we never borrowed money from the UN!

2,905 posts

Posted:
So I stand corrected on half of what I said. The other half, about the UK, France, Germany, and a dozen other countries in the world oweing money to the US. Hrm...
Add in interst I would say that would cover a good portion of a 6 trillion dollar deficite.

Here is another way... Why dont we increase trade terrifs and taxes.

Either way, the UN isnt doing its job. Yet nobody is willing to open their mouths about it. Hypocrites the lot.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what about liberia...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well Tom the weather man (hot is it? )

Liberia has been going through some rough times, you know government falling apart, rebels and the government both stealing food for the perpose of "feeding the people". When in fact both sides are hording it.

The US has sent a boat load of Marines to sit off the in the ocean incase they are needed as peace keepers, while the UN says that it wont do anything for 4-6 months. By then more people will have starved to death!

The question is, why hasnt anyone spoken up against this? Well... other than to blame the US.

Atleast we are doing something, while the rest of the wold watches documenteries on BBC.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i only asked cos you were banging on about 'lybia' and i thought liberia was a far more pressing issue at the moment

yes, the un has plans to move in and help - after all, the rebels want a return to democracy and the president they hate has just been exiled.
they cannot do everything immediately though.

maybe the reason the u.s. has gone in already (other than that liberia definitely has loads of big, dangerous wmd's like iraq's ones and WE MUST STOP THEM FROM USING THEM!!!! ) is because they feel a little extra responsibility for liberia, seeing as it was a country created by the u.s. and populated with the people they had originally taken away from africa and used as slaves.

or maybe i'm just an over-cynical hippy and you think a little too well of your military

seriously though, i wouldn't brag too much about going in early - liberia has been a pressing issue for human rights for a long, long time and there has been intervention desperately needed since 2000(ish).

don't think that just because you don't hear us shouting that we don't care about something - maybe its more that you haven't been listening hard enough...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

2,905 posts

Posted:
Opps... well played Coleman, well played.

Well Liberia was created as a home country for decendents of slaves. However the US was not soul in responsibility there.

Your right the UN does have plans, but they wont take effect for 4-6 months. Yet the whole point is that nobody seems to be saying, send evelopes of rice!!

Nobody seems to really want to protest this one.

Liberia really doesnt pose a threat to the rest of the world, so naturally nobody really seems to care. But when a government that has and has used chemical weapons before gets the squeeze, it would seem that every liberal with a toung is crying foul!

Fortunatly for the starving people of that country, not everyone is like Frosty. S/He would rather see people starve than risk sticking his nose into someone elses business.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:

The US is already working on the situation.

And what exactly are we doing ?

I don't know how much you know about the standard of living in Liberia but putting a boatload of Marines on the coast to play peacekeepers isn't going to help matters.

Unless of course the plan is to wipe out all the nutjobs in that country.Which might I add there is more than an abundance of.

Of course the first thing to do would be to set up some kind of actual government and police force.But how do you do that? Assuredly the same rebels who overthrew Taylor are gonna want to take his place.Kinda the same way Taylor and his party overthrew Doe before him.And Doe and his party overthrew the party before him.See where I'm going with this? Taylor isn't the first warlord to rule this country.

Not to say I know a lot about Liberia but after reading about the standard of living and about the "child soldiers" and about the cannibals all I can say is I'm glad I'm not making the decisions on this one.

And I pity anyone who is gonna be assigned with "keeping the peace".

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
And for those who don't know much about Liberia ...

Some history of Liberia

Looks harmless doesn't he?

More on child soldiers

More on child soldiers

More on Liberia

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Also am I mistaken in believing that the Nigerian peacekeepers who were already sent were arranged by the UN?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
again ray, just because we don't go shouting about it, doesn't mean we don't care.

west africa aid efforts

since the peacekeepers (and yes, the nigerian peacekeeping force has been there since 4 august) are there now a crisis appeal has been launched for any bleeding heart liberals that might want to send some 'envelopes of rice' as ray suggested:

www.dec.org.uk

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
why isnt the US doing shit about robert mugabe?

obviously the US doesnt care that he is killing loads of his own people, rigging the voting, arresting opposition to him and is a racist c*nt.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Honestly I dont know who Robert Mugaby is, and I was trying to make a statment that the majority of people will only protest when there is a band wagon to jump on.

True, there are billions of causes out there that deserve a million man march, but damn there are some serius bandwagoners that only want to protest wars.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That was good.

Me like.

2,905 posts

Posted:
No no no, I was trying to make a point about people who just like to jump on band wagons.

I was also talking about the people on HoP.

I have yet to see any people talking about spinning for food or peace for liberia.

Interantional outcry wasn't in the original idea, though it is very good to hear that there is people out there who care

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
damn there are some serius bandwagoners that only want to protest wars.
i think it may be more the fact that war is about as bad as a situation can possibly get.
this war is not a bandwagon (its not even a war - its independent international intervention but anyway...) rather it is the fact that many people will not shout about it unless it is being waged by a country we are citizens or allies of as there is very little that we can do - we will only protest things that we have a chance of affecting.
a foreign country's premier can ignore protesters with impunity whereas our leaders must (at the very least) feign interest in the views of a large portion of 'their' country

we are not all political activists on this board but i would imagine that most people here abhore war.
the only thing i would say i have a problem with here is the us's continuing tendency to act independently of the un in international matters.
besides, the us are sitting off the coast in heavily armed boats waiting for conflicts to break out - this is not my ideal definition of peacekeeping...

so you asked why we weren't protesting the absence of a un peacekeeping force? that's because peacekeepers have been arranged for the interim. aid organisations are already stepping up their operations in light of this (dec in the uk). what exactly is it that you expect us to protest here man...?!

[ 14. August 2003, 23:16: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
quote:
No no no, I was trying to make a point about people who just like to jump on band wagons.
All you've done is jump on the Liberia bandwagon because the US army's done so - are you aware of how many other humanitarian crises are going on?

i think that point may well conclude this thread.
anyone know where zimbabwe is...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

2,905 posts

Posted:
*roles with laughter*

Hows yalls toes?

Hrmm.. Dissidant slaves... well... it was created to attempt to appease the mistakes of our past. I dont know about dissidant slaves.

quote:
who wouldn't accept that black=inferior
So are you saying that we (all Americans) think blacks are inferior, or as you phrased it there, that we think that tblacks are not inferior?

Hrm okay whatever Mr. Racist Frosty.

Coleman, hmm well I wouldnt say war is the worst thing that can happen, but ya I would say it is up there.

Hrm... did you effect the war in Iraq? Not one bit! So does that mean you should not even try?

We are giving the local government a chance to get on their feet and to get things settled down. They are there as a contingency plan.

I dont expect you to protest anything, why should I expect you to take time out of your busy day to protest something that you cant effect.

I do know where Zimbabwe is, and there is some hurting going on there too.

Like I said before there are soo many things out there that are wrong with this world. I have no answers how to solve this all.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
quote:

I have yet to see any people talking about spinning for food

I do it all the time..

Its called busking.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
quote:
i think that point may well conclude this thread

Yea right....there's a difference between debating and aguing (sp?).

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
By the way the Ray I think you'd desperately like to believe that the whole bandwagon thing is true. That would also mean that 100,000 people jumped on a bandwagon here in dublin and millions of people all around the world to for the first protests. I was at those marches and I can promise it wasn't a bunch of crusties (or even hop people) it was people from absolutely every facet of life. People who had never protested before, yes (it think that was quite clear). But I think that was a reflection of how abhorant the US and UKs actions were as opposed to people jumping on a bandwagon.

Ah wouldn't a bandwagon be a fantastic way of explaining away the largest world wide protest on the history of our planet that was completely ignored by those with power.

Oh and I'm expecting the standard response of how can you tell me what I believe by the way. Don't do it.... you just tried to belittle every person who did protest....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Hrm... did you effect the war in Iraq? Not one bit! So does that mean you should not even try?
if you hadn't deleted your post on protesting you could refer to that for my opinion on this. i'm not going over it again.
how did you affect the war in iraq? (and that's a polite, reciprocal question dude so please don't get all defensive here).

quote:
We are giving the local government a chance to get on their feet and to get things settled down. They are there as a contingency plan.
time to get on their feet? yep, about 4-6 months should be about right

quote:
I dont expect you to protest anything, why should I expect you to take time out of your busy day to protest something that you cant effect.
that's because you believe protesting is pointless. and (no matter what you think i believe) i have a fairly similar view - not that it is pointless but that it is very rare to achieve an end through protest alone.
to my mind, if i have little chance of affecting a situation that i have strong opposing views on, the very least i can do is make those views known, either through a letter to my government or, if i share the views of many others, through organised protest.

and our point about zimbabwe is that there are many paces like liberia that are in desperate need of un attention but they cannot all be covered at once.
you accussed us of jumping on a bandwagon when it was yourself that found out about the latest humanitarian crisis on the afn news update and started banging on about it.

time to delete the thread maybe ray...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

2,905 posts

Posted:
quote:
Now if you can read you should be able to see I'm not being racist - in any way shape or form. It was not made as an attempt to make up for america's atrocities but rather as yet another atrocity - "free black men are OK but not in our country" effectively.

Where in the world did you get that from???

Hrm... did those people really feel that way, or did they do it out of fear for the lives of former slaves? I honestly dont know their intent, and unless you have a hand written account of what they thought, then it is pure speculation.

You may not be racist, but predjudice, OHH HELL YA!!!

You openly admit to hating Christians and its obvius that you cant stand anything that has anything to do with America.

Hrm in reading it sounds that they did the freed slaves a favor. Yes there were some people that thought a free black man was a worthless black man, however SO WAS THE OPINION OF A HELL OF ALOT OF ENGLISH!!

Liberia, was started out of care, not out of hate, what happend later on in its history is tragic and something should have been done from the get go. However it declaired itself free from American rule/influance and unlike the BRITTISH we did not pursue a war.

So... did I shoot enough holes in your "Amercans hate blacks" theory or should I continue to use your own resources against you?

quote:
that's because you believe protesting is pointless. and (no matter what you think i believe) i have a fairly similar view - not that it is pointless but that it is very rare to achieve an end through protest alone
Well... sombody editied their post making my reply to this pointless... so I'll leave this alone for now

quote:
and our point about zimbabwe is that there are many paces like liberia that are in desperate need of un attention but they cannot all be covered at once.
you accussed us of jumping on a bandwagon when it was yourself that found out about the latest humanitarian crisis on the afn news update and started banging on about it.
No, sorry, it was an attempt at a point using the current events. Nice try on the twist there

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But not a european swallow, thats my point.

*looks around*

oooh...isnt this the Monty Python quote thread?

Sorry.

*leaves and goes out singing "every sperm is sacred"*

2,905 posts

Posted:
Holy F'n Shate!!

I read your post I read one of your links, hold on let me quote the damn thing!
Remember when you said this??
quote:
"This exodus was largely the work of the American Colonisation Societ, an unholy alliance of religious philanthroposts, who wanted the freed slaves to escape the racism of America and slave owners who thought freed slaves were a 'bad' influcence on those blacks still in bondage"

Let's analise a few things...
"an unholy alliance", what does this mean... it means that these church groups banded together not for religious purposes but for the ex-slaves. That is what unholy means there... not EVIL!

quote:
who wanted the freed slaves to escape the racism of America and slave owners who thought freed slaves were a 'bad' influcence on those blacks still in bondage"

hrm... does that sound like they were being mean?

Not to me! It says there that the alliance, wanted free black people, to ESCAPE the racisim in America and to escape slave owners who thought freed slaves were a bad influance.

Obviusly not everyone in the US thought black people were bad. They wanted to help... how in the world do you not see that?

By 1860 20,000 ex-slaves had moved to Liberia, obviusly they were helped some how. It must mean that they were hated. They were hated so bad that people hired a boat to get rid of em!

My word Frosty, YOU ARE FILLED WITH HATE, and it isnt just about the US forigne policy.

You hate America, and Americans. You strive at all points to make us out to be horrid monsters. You point out every mistake of our past, and ignore anything positive that we have ever done. Your life is filled with contempt for us? Why? Were you picked on as a kid by American kids?

Tell you one thing, I remember being chased around the playground by Brittish kids when I lived in England. I dont hate the Brittish.
I hold no contempt, I am just angry at your ignorance and insolence!

[ 16. August 2003, 18:21: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

2,905 posts

Posted:
No Spanner, I dont mean everyone. Try not to take that too literally.

There was predudice and racisim to the extreem in the 1800's a terrible time to be alive for any race, IMHO. People cared, it wasn't for their hate, but for the hate of others that that they helped the ex-slaves escape this way of life.

Actually I have "Stupid White Men" in my possesion.

It had nothing to do with their behavior. They left to escape predjudice, and so that they may live a true free life.

quote:
unfortunately your two main arguments are "the US is the perfect war machine how dare you challenge my belief" and "We Are The Rulers Of The Universe" - neither of which are right. there's lots of other things to talk about tho - try those
Nobody has ever said either of those two things, nor do I believe them.

quote:
see positive things... talk about those and you might not only see the negative side eh?

Your the one seeing negitive here, while I am seeing positive.

I do question why you keep trying spin this? Dont spin!

2,905 posts

Posted:
hahaha ya maybe I should rephrase that

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:

[QUOTE]If this country started shipping black people who wouldn't behave off to another country it would be seen as horrendous - and it is - yet you're willing to defend it here?? why? it's a bad arguement
Presuming a lot don't you think?

If the true motivation was to punish freed slaves wouldn't it make more sense to just make them slaves again or kill them?

And are you saying that America at the time was dead set against black people? I could have swore that quite a few Americans died in the process of freeing the slaves.

Ever hear of the "Underground Railroad"? Those people must have really hated black people to be so willing to help them.

Maybe we should start blaming the British for all the problems we have here in the States.

2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont think Frosty read what was written, I think he added and changed words to make it say what he wanted it to say.

Well... thats the only way I know to rationalise his stance on this.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
back (slightly more) on topic...

quote:
quote:
that's because you believe protesting is pointless. and (no matter what you think i believe) i have a fairly similar view - not that it is pointless but that it is very rare to achieve an end through protest alone
Well... sombody editied their post making my reply to this pointless... so I'll leave this alone for now
okay. i don't see why an edit makes any difference here though - the edit i made certainly doesn't. my stance on protesting has been the same since before i posted my views on the thread discussing it. they still remain.

quote:
quote:
No, sorry, it was an attempt at a point using the current events. Nice try on the twist there
well your attempt failed miserably i'm afraid. possibly due to lack of information on all but the current operations of the usmc?
'current events' (plural) implies there is more than one thing going on in the world at any one time. zimbabwe is in a terrible state (like many other nations) and it has been mentioned several times on this board. i am suprised you feel qualified to comment on our attitudes towards world events when you evidently don't have a good grasp of them yourself.
seriously, how much did you know about the liberian situation (or was that the lybian situation ) before you were briefed?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: