• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:I was interested to read no-one had started a thread about David Kelly, so I will...For those not in the know here is a timeline:

29 May: BBC defence correspondent Andrew Gilligan tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme that a source - a senior British official - has told him that the government's dossier on Iraq, published last September, was "sexed up" against the wishes of the intelligence services.

1 June: Mr Gilligan writes in the Mail on Sunday that Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's director of communications, was responsible for inserting the claim that Iraq could deploy weapons in 45 minutes into the dossier.

19 June: Mr Gilligan gives evidence on his claims to the Commons foreign affairs committee inquiry on the government's presentation of the case for war in Iraq.

25 June: Alastair Campbell vigorously denies the claims while giving evidence to the committee. He demands an apology from the BBC.

26 June: Mr Campbell writes to the BBC to back up his apology demand.

27 June: The BBC rejects the call for an apology, standing by the Today programme report. Mr Campbell replies, saying the BBC has "not a shred of evidence for their lie".

28 June: Mr Campbell appears on Channel 4 News to continue his calls for an apology from the BBC.

7 July: The foreign affairs committee report is published. It clears Mr Campbell - on the casting vote of the chairman - but says "undue prominence" was given to the 45 minute claim.

8 July: The Ministry of Defence says an official - later named as Dr David Kelly - has come forward to say he met Mr Gilligan and discussed Iraq's weapons on 22 May.

15 July: Dr Kelly gives evidence to the foreign affairs committee after it reopens its inquiry. Committee members say they do not believe Dr Kelly was the source of Mr Gilligan's story and say he was badly treated by the MoD.

17 July: Mr Gilligan gives evidence again to the committee in a private session. He is later criticised for not revealing his source to MPs and accused by committee chairman Donald Anderson of changing his story. Mr Gilligan vigorously rejects the suggestion and the BBC defends his refusal to name his source.

17 July: Dr Kelly leaves his house in Oxfordshire at 1500 BST, saying he is going for a walk.

Dr Kelly's family contact police at 2345 BST when he does not return.

18 July: Police complete initial searches of his house, outbuildings and its grounds without finding Dr Kelly.

0900 BST, 18 July: Thames Valley Police make a public appeal for helping in tracing Dr Kelly.

1055 BST: Police investigating Dr Kelly's disappearance say they have discovered the body of a male, as yet unidentified.

1330 BST: Police say body matches description of Dr Kelly.

1430 BST: The prime minister's official spokesman says an independent judicial inquiry will be held into the circumstances of Dr Kelly's death if the body is confirmed to be that of the MoD adviser.

19 July: Police confirm that the body is that of Dr Kelly. A post-mortem concluded that the cause of death was haemorrhaging from a wound to his left wrist.

20 July: The BBC's director of news Richard Sambrook discloses that Dr Kelly was the source for the controversial report, after speaking to his family.

Any thoughts on this?

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete Topic

Fire Monkey

Total posts: 176
Posted:Well me being me...

I'm tending towards thinking are "Dr" being killed off by "lord" Tony.

And seeing as initial threat was our tony's only legal reason for war,(so hasn't Tony broken some war rules) what will he come up with next.

P.S I think it's descracefull that in our age of secret agences(not really a good thing) that our minestry of defence tells the media that they will conferm who the source was in a kinda "rizla" game style.(You guess, and we will say yes or no)

Every ones a monkey!
Yes even you!

Delete

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:

Total posts: 2905
Posted:Is it just me or does BBC seam to come up with all the interesting stories? I mean is it the brittish version of the enquierer or something?

Actually though I have to admit I have never hear of this.

Though I do question BBC I mean they seem to come up with stories that nobody else would dream of and the piece together conclusions that are just very sercumstancial. Then again I am just questioning everything that I hear just like the rest of you.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

Fire Monkey

Total posts: 176
Posted:No this has been in all the news articals for ages, just the BBC normally see ok with reporting.

With this political dirt kickup, you have to wonder what laws will get passed quikly while no one is looking.

Every ones a monkey!
Yes even you!

Delete

King Of Bongo

King Of Bongo

addict

Total posts: 522
Posted:have been following the story. A very sad story all round.
Was David Kelly actually that disheartened that he would commit suicide or was it something far more sinister such as murder?
I wonder what the inquiry into his death will reveal, but for now there seems to be too much speculation flying about (great for conspiracy theorists).

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:Don't start with the conspiracy theories! After all, his death has done more damage to the government than him originally talking to the press.

To me I see most of the blame falling squarely on the government. The political games and spin used everyday often lead to careers being ruined, but now somebody has been hounded to death

I reckon a few people will lose their current jobs over it and Campbell will have to leave a bit quicker than he thought he was going to. However Blair will remain, Hoon and others involved will probably get put back into good jobs in a year or so once people have forgotten.

But it does again bring up the queston of why an unelected person, Campbell, has so much power and influence at the heart of government.

Politics, it's evil.

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Apparently some very interesting documents have been published on http://www.the-hutton-inquiry.org.uk

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

King Of Bongo

King Of Bongo

addict

Total posts: 522
Posted:cheers for the link spanner, good stuff.

I find it extremely ominous that kelly spoke about his own death months before saying that if iraq were to be invaded he "would probably be found dead in the woods"...
drum roll.

not sure it was suicide- can you call it that if someone has a heart-attack when you're threatening him???

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Delete