Forums > Social Discussion > Jessica Lynch... America's Hero?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
This is something that my cousin wrote awhile back, and I think that it still applies to even now. What do you think?

Jessica Lynch... America's Newest Hero

Jessica Lynch. Hmm... where to start. For those who have absolutely no idea who she is, I'll break it down for you. Jessica Lynch is a Private First Class for the US Army. She was part of the 507th Maintenance Company which is based in Fort Bliss, TX. She was deployed to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom. A convoy which took a wrong turn in Nasiriya (Iraq) and was ambushed by Iraqi soldiers. Jessica Lynch was taken prisoner.
According to reports I've read, an Iraqi citizen went out of his way to give the US information to her whereabouts, which ended up being in a hospital. A team of US Army Rangers, Special Forces, Navy SEALs, Marines, and Air Force pilots risked their lives for her successful and safe return home. Jessica Lynch was beaten pretty severely. Her arm was broken, as was both her legs, along with a spinal injury.
So now she's back home, safe. All is well, she's made it thru surgery and will be making a quick recovery. Turn on the TV, and there she is. America's Hero. A living, breathing, inspiration to every female in America.
?America's hero has just received a FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO THE COLLEGE OF HER CHOOSING, STATE FUNDED!!!
?The media reports that she is being offered more than $8,000,000 in endorsement money. Wow.
?The radio announced that her parents are reading thru Hollywood movie scripts.
?The Lynch family is also offered a free, all expense paid vacation in Maui by whatever hotel.
What. The. ****. Someone please explain to me what magical thing this chic did to deserve all these hand outs?
Lets go over that again. FREE Ride thru College, $8 million in endorsements, Hollywood movie, free hawaii vacation.... all for ****ing up and taking the wrong turn. What kinda shit is that. How can anyone justify rewarding someone for screwing up???
Ok ok ok, maybe I'm being a little bit insensitive. Let me back track a little bit. I totally realize that she has been through absolute HELL and BACK. Being tortured by Iraqi soldiers has got to be the worst feeling of pain imaginable. Being a female, it must have been twice as unpleasant, and I wouldn't doubt that she was raped. Yeah, that's gotta suck. There is a very good chance I will never ever, in my entire life have to endure the pain that she has been put through. I totally commend her and feel she truly deserves the Purple Heart that will be given to her, along with the praise and gratitude that her comrades and higher ups will give her. That being said, this has gone way too far.
This chic signed on the same dotted lines as any other US Armed Forces member, including myself. She knew what she was signing up for, right? Or did she. In an interview with her, she stated the only reason she joined the Army was for the Montgomery GI Bill, which was to take her thru school so that she could become a teacher. She attempted to evade Iraq as best she could. I believe her direct quote was "This is not what I signed up for." Everyone bask in the glory of America's Newest Hero.
Oh are we forgetting that she wasn't the only POW? What about all the other POWs that will come home, are they going to get a free ride too? Surely if a female POW received free college for being captured that a Male will as well. ?Did the soldiers of Vietnam or desert storm get to pick their free college? Nope. What about royalties from movies? Vacations? Better people have endured worse things and received no rewards.

What about the thousands of men and women out there STILL FIGHTING

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Uh no they use real guns very often. Exceptions are easily made for film makers as far as laws go.

Also all those questions are pointless, It's funny how you validate your pariotism with bullshit like that.

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
quote:
So next time you try to belittle someone, find out something about them first.

Hey why don't try doing some of that "find out something about them first" before you make comments like "You dont, read all the ****ing books you want, but there is nothing like personal experiance. You dont know, cant comprehend, SO STOP TRYING!!"
Get your head out of your ass and quit assuming noone here experienced as crazy or worse things then you. If you don't want to be part of the disscussion, then don't. I realize that this has nothing to do with the thread but I was getting offended. It sounds like you wanted everyone here to understand your experience but you are unwilling to see everyone else's but according to you I guess we are to busy with your heads in a book to have any.

I apologize to everyone else for going off topic.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Ray, if you think that we don't have the facts and that we can't know what went on because of that, that's a perfectly valid view. BUT, if that's your argument, then you're no better off. You weren't there either, and you only heard stories, just like as we did. Having a military background doesn't mean that the stories you heard would be any more factual!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Astar, where are these stores of guns kept? Please show me where they keep those guns, hell it will give me a great place to apply for when I get out of the Corps in the next few years. Talk about a pay raise!!

Astar, my personal view of you says only one thing, that no matter what I say, you will say the oppisite. If I say the ballon is red, you will say its blue.

Your right I wasnt there, but I do have a bit of practical knowlege that some of you dont.

I really dont get where yall came up with the idea that they were using blanks, I know some big shot said it somewhere but where they got it from is bewildering.

Your right both sides take what other people said as fact from opposing views, but where you have specualtion I have understanding.

I can understand how a mission like that is put together, can you?

If you cant, if you cant visualise how things were done or understand why they were done a certain way then it will be easier for you to believe that things were done a different way and that it was all fake.

Your right my knowlege doesnt make it true, but my knowlege allows reason to work so that I know it is true. Your lack of that knowlege works to the opposite effect.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Guys - you're fixating on one point, which never makes a good discussion.

Blanks aside there's still the fact that the type and scale of the operation was unnecessary, as was the presence of cameras, as was the media hype about only one of the captives, etc...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Dom, I just spent 4 weeks in Australia, guess what we had... cameras!!! Dude everytime people deploy they take cameras, its just something that is done.

Here is a question, if there was no film or still photage, would think the rescue ever happend?

Would the lack of photos make things more believable or less?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
People will think what they will, but in reality this is just another lie in the War on Truth.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
Your right I wasnt there, but I do have a bit of practical knowlege that some of you dont.

I can understand how a mission like that is put together, can you?

No, I can't. I completely agree with you there. But your ablility to understand HOW it would happen doesn't mean you KNOW what happened. This was an atypical mission because it was front and center in the public eye.

I do concede some things can be inferred from experience. I think the idea that those troops were sent in without real ammo is silly. Ray, your knowledge of the situation happens to back me up there.

But that's not what all this is about! This debate has become so focused on if or if not blanks were used that we're losing focus of what the blanks represent, and what this thread is discussing: the manipulation of the army and media to create mindless patriotism (which unlike true, rational patriotism, is bad) and distract from the true issues surrounding the purpose of the war.

Who cares if blanks were used or not? I think Ray is probably correct that they were not. However, I do disagree with him that because we don't know picky details (such as the use of blanks), we can't speak about the larger purpose and aim of the mission. That's worth arguing over.

Page: