Forums > Social Chat > Fashion Emergency (AKA: bare skin wraps suck!)

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Three part post:1) Shout out to my boys who posted all of the help on "56+ wraps", I've started been doing wraps quite consistantly and last night was complemented a few times on them... (still just doing the easy ones, but nice to have something to work on!)2) OUCH! I had been practicing my wraps with a preppy denim shirt on and was having a grand old time. Unfortunately, the preppy look just doesn't cut it for fire spinning so I took my shirt off and did my first bare skin wraps. Well, I got my first battle scars. It would be cool if I got any enjoyment out of the "burns are cool" concept but really just don't like the scars and quick sting of the metal (call me crazy.) My wraps were clean, I was using lamp oil but the last link of the chain is always going to be hot enough to burn my skin. Ignore the rumors unless you want scars, bare skin wraps suck!3) So now I need SOMETHING that looks a bit tribal/cool/fire spinny that covers my arms. I'd always gone topless but I'd like to keep both my wraps AND my arm flesh. I know I could MAKE an extensive set of leather brasers or a full body suit but I was wondering if anyone had any quick fashion ideas? Covered arms, easy to make or premade, not preppy. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
You could always try something like some black cotton sleaves or something (just sleaves, no shirt if you don't like the shirt) give you a bit of a wwf hardy boys feel wink

Good on usGood on us all

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ha! I have a 12 year old brother so I'm "forced" to watch wrestling a few times a year...(OK, fine, it's kinda cool... smile) and I'm a Hardy Boyz fan. That look might work for me... More of a Matt Hardy than a Jeff Hardy... This might work... I like the ball chain necklace. Never really thought of gothic since I roll with such a "Burning Man" influenced crowd... For those of you not "in the know" who want to know here's a Hardy Boyz fan website with half decent photos from some kid in Germany... smilewww.hardyz.de[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 05 November 2001).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I use a cotton long sleeve t-shirt smile just get a second hand one, the outdated style of which will add a whole new spin to your style winkof course, if I was doing a performance, I'd use bare skin - your a wus NYC wink Josh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
3 words:bigphatcorduroy grinPS that HAS to be spelled with a ph

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Come on ... Admit you enjoyed burning yourself, NYC !!!a soft S&M touch to your clean teacher life winkShine on, wrap onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Yeah i like it. Definitely a Matt rather than a Jeff....even though Jeff is way cooler (not that i watch wrestling or anything.........no really i.........no i mean i just saw it once out of the corner of my eye)And Cass is right. You are a wuss wink a lick of flame never hurt anyone grin CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I have a couple of friends who spin wearing those one piece coveralls like mechanics wear. Not tribal exactly, but certainly far from preppy, and they're usually 100% cotton... safety first. I would also suggest a fishnet top, but I don't know if that would offer any burn protection. I bet it would look hot though wink.------------------this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Go to a welder's supply store like a Sunox or a Holox or National Welders. They will have burn resistant sleeves for sale for about $6 a pair that you can use. They come in a light shade of green, but I'm sure that you could dye them or color them according to taste. They are only tubes of a special fabric with elastic at both ends. For a little bit of a cooler look, you could spend around $40-$60 and splurge for a leather half vest. It looks like someone took a leather jacket and cut it off about 6 inches under the chin, so it falls about mid-chest. This one would probably be easier to look good in, but the leather might slow you up until you get it broken in to your specific range of movement. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You try explaining a blistering second degree burn on your bicep 50 times a day (OUCH!) Lick of flame never hurt anyone my butt APB! I went to my school nurse and she gasped when she saw my burn that I got... er... by hitting my arm against the oven rack while trying to get a potato out of the oven. "What about all the other marks?" she asked.... Er... "I ... er... really wanted the potato." I said, and ran.I do think that I have particularly sensitive skin. I'm no rough and tumble manly Austrailian. I don't even know how to spell walabee let along hunt and kill one with my bear hands winkAKKK! Gotta run!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Similar to welding sleeves are mechanic's sleeves. These are pretty amazing. They come in both black and yellow, but I think they're all made of kevlar. You can perch a burning wick on your arm with these babies and not even feel the heat. Do a search on "heat resistant sleeve"The cheap alternative is to get tube socks, cut the toes off, and get them wet. A lot of twirlers around here do that.But you know, NYC, you should just nonchalantly explain to the nurse "Oh yeah, I'm a firedancer. I was just trying some new stuff." The truth can be more entertaining.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 06 November 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
wherez the fun in that you should be made of battle scarz on top of battle scarz. save the fashon for the hs kidz

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Adamrice - if those sleeves are made of kevlar - couldn't you wear two setsat once. One for protection and the other soaked in fuel as a wick?Or would that constitute an unlawful firearm offence wink *groan*

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bendy--Hmm, how would you square that with the right to keep and bare arms? (double groan)

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You could try putting the stupid htings down and getting a big stick to twirl instead.Just a thought.------------------C@ntus

Meh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Or you could pick up one stick and one poi and try your hand at that too. Its fun you get the best of both worlds. smile------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC, tell this $ù^*efhxv;,;:!! nurse to keep her hands off of you or I'll ... do nothing cause hell ! I am in Paris !!! winkShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
That is so funny NYC. Is that true about the school nurse?*chuckles*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 06 November 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Good call on the heat resistant sleves, I'm gonna go try to find a pair today...Unfortunately, I'm not quite comfortable mixing my two alter egos so I'll be keeping my secret fire-twirling identity to myself. I'd never forgive myself if my students found out and tried it themselves and got hurt. But yes, it's true about the nurse... In fact, gee I think I need my dressing changed and gosh, it's just so hard to do it myself. Golly gee Miss Nurse you just make it all feel better... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Got em', they're awsome! Leather arm protectors from a welding shop. I also got gloves to wear when I'm safety. Electric Blue, they're cool. The more I think about it, the more I like having welding gloves as a safety. You have much more control being able to grab an actual wick or hot chain and pull it off of someone or something. I'll still hold a towel with them but the added insulation could be a life saver, literally. $6 for the gloves. Go buy a pair.I'm also glad to be able to still go topless and protect my arms. Plus with the leather, I still get to be topless which my Nurse says looks sexy. I think I'm gonna go over to her house and "bake some potatoes"... (from the Files of "Things that didn't actually nor will ever happen.")

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]