FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I have not posted here because of how heavy it typically gets with sarcasm and cynicism, but there is a thought I have not heard anyone talk about that is wandering through my head.

To set the scene: I am a born-citizen of the USA, mid-twenties, middle-class. I am middle of the road when it comes to politics, with particular interests (pro-environment, anti-growth, etc.), and I am an agnostic when it comes to religion. I have not been for this war, but not really against it, either. So, it seems like there are too many "middles" when it comes to my feelings about all this (war, oil, whatever).

One thing I am fairly certain of is that I believe the USA should be the subject of sanctions should Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD's) not be found. Sure, there could be proof that there were WMD's that were destroyed immediately prior to the war. If not, the US could fallen back on defense-by-pre-emptive-strike as well as UN measures dating back to the previous war. Also, ties to Bin Laden and other groups that have not quite materialized.

While many people the world wide are glad that Hussein is effectively gone, I am not satisfied by the method in which my goverment made this come about. Sure, the president and hundreds, if not thousands, of other officials and military leaders receive more "intel" than I do and have to make decisions on it. They have not shown me, however, that the war was justified, whether it comes down to the cost in terms of loss of lives or billions of dollars spent or our global image.

The UN and other organizations typically place sanctions on their members when they violate policy. Whether the US violated policy is beyond me, but the US has not been a good "global neighbor" recently. The US won't apologize and sanctions would never come about, but i would support both if the UN determined the US was out of line.

MJ

[ 30. April 2003, 06:49: Message edited by: Flamma Aeterna ]

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
If the UN where to put this policy of sanctions on the US, US could turn around and veto it. So no matter how many nations agree it wouldn't come to pass. However, individually nation could put (if legal through World Trade Org.) tariffs on American products.
Currently here in Canada the US has imposed illegal tariffs on our lumber and wheat. The US has also imposed illegal tariffs on steel industry which effects countries in Europe, Asia and South America. Regardless of WTO decision that deems these tariffs illegal the US just appeals the decision and the tariffs never get removed. Needless to say this does nothing to boost the American global image.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
This is where the UN loses credibility, one of its main, most powerful and founding members doesn't even pay it any attention and nothing can be done about it but to try and pick up the pieces. It seems this international organization will fade into irrelevancy unless something drastic is done to stop that happening and repair the relations broken. It seems the UN is doomed to follow the failure of its predecessor, the league of nations, unable to control its members... RIP

The US made a grave mistake in its unilateral decision, and the divisions it has wrought within europe will do very little to create a safer world. I believe international co-operation is the key to cracking down on terrorism, and the US has lost it...

slightly depressing.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I've just re-read my message and it sounds so depressing! ahh!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
totally depressing