DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Now that the Alliance has brought democracy to Iraq, do you think they will actually allow 1 person 1 vote? What if they vote in a faith based government. What if that government is anti-US?
Will democratic elections conducted under US military control (as opposed to UN) produce a credible result?

What do you think?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Wow!! Deep thoughts hehe

Well all I can say is... I have no clue!!!

I guess we will have to wait and see what really happens. Though I am sure the speculations will go something like...

The US will send in the military to give all Iraqis SSNs and track them all down and hold them at the poll booths at gun point untill they select the person the oil crazed US wants in charge. That way there will be little to no anti US feelings in the new govenrment.

Did I miss anything?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Think you got it pretty sussed ray...

No doubt they will make sure the gov is dependent on the US, as well as making the presence of those four military bases felt.

I think they'll probably let everyone vote freely, they just won't allow any anti-american parties to run in the elections claiming that anyone with such a view is a terrorist (or similar).

Something similar happened after the Spanish dictator Franco died, the communist party was made illegal and not allowed to run in the elections (although a couple of years later it was).

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I don't think they have brought democracy just yet. I still haven't heard a plan on how they are going to do this. I agree with King.

Plus if a anti-american government does get elected then a coup will proably happen like in Chavez Venezuelan coup.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I found this interesting.Take a look.

2,905 posts

Posted:
If you bum a ciggerett off of someone, then a few days later the bum one off of you isnt that just of them?

Add about $80 billion and you'll see that the same thing is going on.

Would you rather the US just pull out and not help with anything.

The Coaltion should be responsible for the rebuilding of Iraq, not they UN. The UN was not the ones blowing stuff up in Iraq, so why should they be responsible for the clean up?

Your little bro. trashes his room, you have been away at college for a year only to come back and have to clean up his mess... ya right!!

It isnt a bad thing, it is the right thing to do, fix what you broke.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Totally missed the point.

Bubble Kingmember
13 posts

Posted:
I'd like to know, from someone who knows, what happened in Panama, Grenada, Somalia or Kuwait after the US troops arrived? This will be useful in trying to work out what might happen in Iraq.

1. Are there large numbers of US troops still stationed in them?
2. Were permanent bases set up?
3. Have there been elections and how soon after invasion?
4. Did women have the vote?
5. Who were the electorate and who was denied the right to vote?
6. Have any of them elected governments which are not favourable to the US since the invasion?

It makes a change for the Iraqi's to go from a leader who was elected by 100% of the electorate to one who was elected by a minority of his.

Capitalism Kills - Kill Capitalism

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Yup, I agree w u poiaholic, it does seem like daylight robbery- it seems very much like we're going to rebuild what we bombed and use it as an excuse to stay there and control your economy without giving you much choice in the matter.

"give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, teach a man to make fire and his world will be filled with light"
-however, this situation seems to be more of a "tell a man that you will build him a fire and keep it going as long as he brings you food indefinitely..."

So live it.

2,905 posts

Posted:
If I supplied you with unlimited poi resources, fule, kevlar, glowsticks, what have you, and in return I ask you to preform at my club Friday and Saturday night, would that not be a good deal?

I think yall are being way to pessimistic about this.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
The problem is its all conditional on the performing bit, it seems to be more like the "since I have given you... you will perform at my club whether you like it or not and you'll be happy about it cos I'm telling you its a good deal...
oh, and by the way, I broke your original staff and burnt all your paraffin in the first place! (even if you were only allowed to use it a couple of times a year by your daddy, who we have bullied into leaving)"

So live it.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Bullied into leaving? Sombody has an unrealistic look on things.

Thats like saying Hitler was bullied into commiting suicide at the end of WWII!!

Now, I can take from your statment that you think that a man who commits genocide should stay in power. Is this right?

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Did somebody say something about taking words out of context?

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
On a lighter note has anyone noticed the stark irony of the US trying to make Iraq a better place to live?