DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
To everyone here, I just wanted to send out a shout-out to the debaters and discussers in this section of HoP.

One thing to know about me - I love making friends in an argument. I don't see the opposing viewpoint's presenter as an enemy, I see him/her as a person equally supportive of his own beliefs as I am, deserving of respect and dignity. I approach them with an open mind and open ears, and thoroughly enjoy having my own beliefs called into question, which forces me to justify them to myself as well as to others.

I chose this section because in here I've had the most opportunities to challenge and be challenged, to strengthen or change my mind on key issues. I enjoy having to actually find stable proof to back up my positions - It encourages me to learn and seek knowledge.

Whether you have agreed or disagreed with me in the past, or will in the future, I admire and respect each of you who is willing to share your views with me, to challenge me, to back me up, or even to keep me in check if I step out of line. Please keep the spirit of debate and discussion alive around here, and I hope this thread serves as a reminder of what this is all really about.

Thanks everyone!

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I too respect other people's oppinions. I also like to make sure my oppinions are supported with good information.

If yall look in the Q&A thread at my last post you will see where I had found out something wrong about my thread before. I did not just leave that statement as be...I posted that I had given out some info that I had thought never happened, but turns out it did. I'm glad DaiTenshi told me so I would know.

Anyways this is a good thread Dio.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress Aurora:

Anyways this is a good thread Dio.
I agree, thank you Dio.

It is good to have varying opinions and I am often times grateful of the different points of view shared on this board.While my stance on all these things hasn't changed much since I started posting here I do feel more informed than I was before.

Though I could do without a lot of the bs negativity that gets tossed around because so and so doesn't agree with so and so.

I have said it before ... Dio you da man.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Wooohooo!!!
je suis d'accord.
"vive la revolution" (mais quelle revolution?)

respect, aiii!

Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
quote:
even to keep me in check if I step out of line
now THAT is a "full time job"

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
Agreed. It's always great having intellectual disscussion and although I still feel the same about these issues it's great hearing and learning from others opinions.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I DISAGREE!!!!

(Well, actually I don't, but after reading the opening post, it seems ironic that everyone keeps agreeing)

The power of a good arguement is hard to deny. I had an english teacher who hated me, and gave my debate team in 7th form the moot of "The rainforests should be burned" with us as the affirmative.

I wrote the speeches of the other two speakers and we won by 1 mark! This scared me more than anything else I'd experienced at school!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

729 posts

Posted:
I'm feeling nostalgic, but this is my thread and I wanna share

Anyway, on to the topic at hand... I loved Transformers as a kid. Not just loved, I ate, breathed and slept Transformers. I am a Mechanical Engineering student because of Transformers. It has been the cornerstone of my childhood and my life in general. With this in mind...

Does anyone remember how, despite their infinite number of differences - ideology, ethics, goals, and moral values for example - Optimus Prime and Megatron always had a sort of respect for one another? They always fought one-on-one, with a sense of honor (I remember Megatron, the BAD GUY, actually kicking his henchman out of a fight so it could remain one on one with Optimus) and even though one would always emerge victorious, they always lived on to fight another day.

Granted, things like world affairs aren't so simple, but in the context of a spirited debate I think people could learn a lesson from this example.

And yes, I was just itching to post on Transformers for a change.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
right on, dio!
respect of adversaries is the same reason why my favourite transformer was Cyclonus, cus he eventually turned on his master, Galvatron, for honour. Transformers do rocketh!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Transformers ..... aaaaahhhhh the good old days.

Mysterio - Lord Of Confusionmember
65 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dio:
(Optimus Prime and Megatron) always lived on to fight another day.
well, apart from when they killed each other in 'Transformers - The Movie'

Although i suppose you could say they lived on, as Optimus Prime was much later resurrected using a backup floppy disc and Megatron's crippled frame was transformed into Leonard Nimoy by Orson Welles.

"Thats very confusing"

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Glad everyone had a great (and probably nicely misused) childhood. rock on!
yours truly,
Megatron

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

729 posts

Posted:
quote:
well, apart from when they killed each other in 'Transformers - The Movie'
EVERY character died in that movie! Can't really count that as actual behavior on the part of the characters... they were all victims of the corporation (the "man") who wanted to sell new toys.

Hmmm... I want my own action figure now.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dio:
Can't really count that as actual behavior on the part of the characters... they were all victims of the corporation (the "man") who wanted to sell new toys.
As opposed to the stories in all the other transformers cartoons\books\comics\annuals which were a purely artistic endeavour i suppose

Transformers the Movie is possibly the greatest motion picture ever created. Optimus Prime's deathbed sequence still makes me well up

This is cool, i've never heard it mentioned anywhere else: Theres a tribute to the movie in Boogie Nights. Dirk Diggler's band records a song called 'You Got The Touch' (originally by a band called LION) thats the main theme from TTM. I couldn't believe my ears when i heard it.

As Mysterio pointed out, it also features the voices of Leonard Nimoy (Galvatron), Orson Welles (Unicron), Eric Idle (Wreck Garr), Judd Nelson (Hot Rod\Rodimus Prime) and err. There are some others i can't remember.

Ok ok, i'm returning to my nerd hut now. in the unlikely event anyone wants to join me, you'll have to name at least four of the dinobots AND three of the insecticons before i let you in

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

729 posts

Posted:
Let's not forget Robert Stack as Ultra-Magnus

Did anyone watch that piece of dreck known as "The Rebirth of Optimus Prime?" Totally destroyed any meaning Optimus' death may have had attached to it...

Funny note: My roommate's mom never let him go see the movie when it was in theaters because the deathbed sequence would have been "too traumatic" for him.

I can name three Dino-Bots off the top of my head... Grimlock (T-rex), Slag (Triceratops), Swoop (Pterodactyl)... can't remember the brontosaurus or stegosaurus though. Did Insecticons even HAVE names?

Somewhat back on topic: Can anyone think of any other notable character pairings where they were rivals but also respected each other? I just saw X-Men 2 tonight and the Erik Magnus - Charles Xavier relationship made me think of this thread.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Faceoff springs to mind.

As does Sherlock Holmes and Moriarti (spelling?)

Cheers, too, Sam and Diane were definitely adversaries to start with!

um...lets see, me and my english teacher at College.

what else... :wanders off mumbling to himself:

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?