poiwondermember
21 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else have a problem with learning moves so fast that all you have time for is poi. I learn at least 2 moves a day. I practice at least 3 hours a day, and can only think about poi at work and class. My friends are telling me I have a problem, and I'm gonna end up ruining my future, perhaps even my sanity. Does this make me an addict:P, and if so are there any Poiaholics Annonymous meetings? If this disease is new to science can I name it Twirlitis, or maybe Spinnerculosis?

Hey chicky chick, check slick Nik flick sick tricks with glow sticks and lit wicks real quick!...;) (IM:cmsnr grdn)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You could join the chess club...------------------C@ntus

Meh

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
There's a few threads on this already, search for 'addict', start with https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000342.html
We're all addicts!Don't worry, your obsessive addiction will fade to just addiction in time ... give it a few years winkWhenever I'm bored I tend to think about poi moves, sometimes even doing the hand movements to figure something out (I also do this when dancing without my poi). And I can't play pool without spinning the cue as a staff replacement.Go with it, it's better than a lot of other addictions!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
heh, i def do the hand movements while dancing, it looks cool, and yeah, ill join

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I find myself wandering around everywhere looking for things that'll make surogate staffs.I was in this guy's garden yesterday. I was working on his land and his wife brought me drink. I found myself eyeing up the canes in his vegetable garden.Luckily i found a small fence post later so i didn't have to upset his Sweet Peas grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
two moves a day, everyday. sounds like you will be finished with poi in about 2 months...and dominating the world in 3. good for you!Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
shocked Josh! Don't encourage them! They'll think you're serious. tongue

Meh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
What are you talking about he is serious. tongue------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah for sure! I learned all the moves in the world in 4 months (2 hours practice a day), there's no reason why this kid cant learn all the moves in the world in 3 months @ 3 hours a day...and as for world domination...been there done that. Ho hum smileJosh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Whiffle Squeak, yeah I am guilty of that hand thing too. It's fun, I really enjoy doing that when I dance. *funky tunes rock*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I definately want to join!I have only been Poi twirling for 3 weeks but we did some at a big fireworks display on Saturday and then also did Sunday and Monday nights too!Started experimenting too made 4 wire wool cages on Sunday and have also been playing around with double length fire set (extremely tiring on the arms). My staff arived last week though so I will have to try and put down the Poi and try to learn the staff too :P------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It doesn't really get better though, you just expand your repetoire past "the norm" moves.I have been at this for over a year seriously. When I first started, even on this board, no one talked about poi throws or wraps a whole lot. Staff is an incarnation that is sweeping the board. This tells me that I am not the only one getting worse and looking for ways to push the limits. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! winkOh...and wanna know how bad it can get?I was sleeping all snuggly in my bed having a very pleasant XXX dream when you know what happened? Dream changed into moves/show elements and I woke up to write them down! shocked How pathetic on a major scale is that??????????? Ugh!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I'd like to post the collection of gear I've aquired since april this year. As a way of getting over this feeling of loss from packing it up till next year.5 sets of chains with wicks. Combinedable into 6 foot long 5 wick chains. Or any other conciveable chain variation.1 5 foot staff with 4 soild wicks and 2 static inside wicks. 1 12 pound galvinized steel cross. 1 set of liquid dancing/trailing hand torches 2 kevlar wrapped eating torches.And a good handful of human volcano'sI had an amazing self-esteem boosting year with your guys help. Now that all the events are over with and it's getting cold outside. I just wanna hibernate till next year. Getting out of bed every morning is difficult to say the least. With no burn sessions insight. Even doin practice chains seems to bum me out. I've got the addiction bad! Is there a doctor I can turn to and say "I did insane fire play all year and now it's OVER!" and have him gimmie some prozac or somethin? How do you guys get around the winter blues?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hey forget about packing up your kit and invest in a pair of gloves if your hands really cant take the cold smileI have only been spinning for 3 weeks and there is definately no way I am giving up for the winter - no matter how cold it gets (anyways I recon you could get quite a good effect, with reflections and everything in the snow)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No matter how cold it gets? You live in Bath!You should try coming up and playing in the North for a while tongueGenerally I don't notice the cold tho. By the end of a training session I've usually taken my shirt off (they get in the way - pesky sleeves, accursed restrictive garments). Although that said it's been really mild this year so far. I might change my tune by December. Or at least start leaving my top on....------------------C@ntus

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah alright Cantus you got me there tongueIt is a little bit warmer down here admitadley, I havent been twirling for that long though so I still have the bug!Seems I will keep myself warm with some unconventional wraps too (nice burn on the side of my cheek from an unexpected neck wrap on Monday night)------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
OK. I'll conceed that it is cold (it was 5 degrees C yesterday).I managed 35 mins - and was forced to keep my t-shirt on (damn sleeves) - before i had to come in.That said. It's 8.10am on Saturday and I'm about to go and play outside for a while.I've had no sleep last night. Partly due to chatting with Josh & Kate and partly due to the fact that i seem to have got out of the habit.In the 6 or so months I've been using fire I've never burnt myself. Not even slightly. Lets see what a little sleep deprevation thrown into the mix does for that average winkJust joking kids (before you start shouting)
Non-Https Image Link
------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
i started to swing poi, and totally could never put them down, day and night practicing ,for months, then i found this amazing way of learning was to teach other people what i knew...and study those i really admired..also really moving with the poi, dancing feeling the poi as an extention of you..so .letting your body flow and express..it has been a liitle over a year since i started and nowall i want to do as well as poi is get freaky with the staff and double stix too...progression...experimentation, and thinking up new toys!!!!how amazing are they?love Hol. smile

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was out spinning for 3 hrs (on and off) this morning. 40 mins lit. Lots of double staff. Quite a bit of single. In the cold. Grinning like an idiot. Watching the neighbours dragging themselves out of the house and struggling to start their days. *Happy Fraggle*------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Your lucky cantus. I'll be forced into a parka here soon with snow up to my knee's. Now wouldn't that make for an interesting video smile

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I couldn't do that. Aside from the restrictiveness of a big cumbersome coat. Parkas are a big fashion no-no.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ahhhh, im so thankful for my big room over the garage with the vaulted ceilings, im not bragging or anything, but i can twirl in my room just so long as i generally stay in one place, i can turn and everything, just not run around madly and throw my poi, hehe, that takes care of the winter blues for me

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!