FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Interesting sideline:

Something i've noticed over the past few months, is the reimmergance of "military" fashion. Actually, if you take a good look at the fashion you find in your average young persons shop these days, you will see two types of clothing.

1: military fashion. Dull khaki colours, industrial styled clothing, boots.

or, 2: Hippy fashion. Soft suede clothing, earthy pastels and lots of flower prints.

Take a look back when Vietnam happened, and the clothes they were wearing in america at the time: Military, or hippy love child!

Isnt it weird how our clothing adapts/conforms to the current events around us? Are you making a statement by wearing this sort of clothing??

anyone else notice anything odd like this?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that, yes Flynt, I've also noticed that in a lot of, what I would term, more commercial stores, (eg Dangerfeld) have anti war t-shirts for sale.

As an activist, who has always painted her own banners and t-shirts, I find this highly amusing.

I found it even more amusing when I started to see them 'on sale'

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hrm... Well if you look at the uniform worn during Vietnam you will see strait leg pants usually a solid OD Green, some did wear tiger stripped cammies. The blouse looked alot like the woodland style cammie blouse that the US wears, witht he exception of the new digital cammies the USMC wears.

Personally I laugh at the twits who wear cammies and arnt in any branch of the service. The "G's" who wear the "urban" blue white and black cammies. Frankly they look stupid. Fashion tries to mimic things and most of the time they look like idiots doing it.

If the anti war shirts are on sale, wouldnt that suggest that the store isnt selling many?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Yep Raymund, could be that not many were being sold, or could be that people were making their own, could be they made too many, could be they ordered too many in the wrong size , or could be something else I haven't considered...... I guess the point that I was trying to make, is that during this tragic world event that there is still big business trying to make a buck...........

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I'm not involved personally in any branch of the military, but I am exposed to it by family being military.My dad was Marine and served in the Vietnam war.My oldest bro Kaleb is going to USMC basic in August.I pretty much am exposed to military things at home.I was involved in Army JROTC and loved it!
I had so much fun in that class.I learned alot too!Like how to become a better leader by being a good follower.JROTC wasn't just for the military people it was for any person who was interested in making goals for him/herself and having a feeling of accomplishment.If it wasn't for JROTC I wouldn't have met so many wonderful people both in the military and out here in the civilian world.

Ok so it was alil way off topic but I had to give an overview of what I am about to say.Ok here goes....I like wearing BDU stuff of any kind.I find it comfy and it's fun to play man hunt back in my neighborhood.My bros and I were quite good at blending in with the natural plant life.We would always be the last to be found.

I still have a few things up here at college with me that have some sort of camo on them.My green camo butterfly baby tee, black and white camo cargo pants that I go to raves in sometimes, and other unmentionable items.

I havn't seen any anti-war shirts except the ones other people have made themselves.I guess because camo is so easy to come by down in the southern parts of the US and is also because of the hunting that goes on during different parts of the year.

Just my oppinion.

Well I'm off to go do something...Prolly sleep because I'm in great need of it!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Masonmember
13 posts

Posted:
Obviously this fashion infection has transversed the Pacific ocean to Australian stores as "ade" highlighted earlier.I Am an Australian soldier (Infantry) and on the odd occasion that I go to the local plaza after work in Auscam uniform find it rather offensive that these morons parade around in "urban" cams paying good money to do so! When you play the victim, you will become the victim! morons, **** fashion.

Remember last time we were here? The mud,the blood,I ended it that day.And 87 years later Im back. What goes around, really goes around.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
its not just camo's tho. its military buttons and lapels. Those things on the shoulders of jackets and shirts, that you are supposed to put your "stripes" on. Tell me, what use are they to the average citizen???

Peace tshirts crack me up. The money ppl pay for them doesnt go to supporting protests or helping war victims recover their lives or anything like that. If you want to stop a war, dont wear it....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I got a grey "Marines" t-shirt but that's just cuz it cost me $4 at army surplus.... good old army surplus...

My philosophy teaching assistant showed up today in class wearing a "Who Would Jesus Bomb?" t-shirt. I found it humorous. Big picture of the Son of God in front of a mushroom cloud... actually a very thought-provoking question once you start to think about it.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
I've not really noticed any new "military trends" in fashion....... but then growing up on military bases I'm kind of comfortable in an around fatigues and military cut clothes so I may just not notice.

'Sides, civie wear isn't nearly as comfy/utilitarian (except for Kimonos and hakamas, we should wear more of those, comfy comfy comfy).

side note: I really don't have an eye for fashion, nor do I oft give it so much as a second thought.

No one knows me like I do.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Growing up a ex-military now great-white-hunters child means alot of exposure to all colors of camo. And truly, it isn't a fashion statement for many I know that wear it. It is either utilitarian or just comfy. So, I don't find wearing fatigues to be politically incorrect. However, camo colored idiot clothes I think are just stupid...for example....

My favorite stupid looking military inspired fashion are the new lines of swimwear for women, in traditional camo colours with this wide brown metal laden belt on them, as if someone were going to strap a leatherman and canteen to it and head off to the beach.

Also in footwear. Anyone else notice that lace up, combat style inspired boot wear is more commonly available...only for the fashionable female..with heels!

It is soooooo funny! Makes me laugh. At least here the bracelets that are being sold have local soldiers names on them and the proceeds go to purchase items to send to the soldiers. At least it is a statement with a purpose. As a soldier supporter, not for or against the war, this makes some sense to me.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK