• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1...1213141516
RavingLunatic

Total posts: 286
Posted:Are you against the war in afghanistan, and against war in general?Well, I would like your help. please send an email to agressivepacifist@hotmail.com if you would like to contribute to an antiwar effort.thanks.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Itsgottab
Total posts: 244
Posted:i agree with almost all of what you say dom. there is one thing i have a problem with though and i used to say the same thing. its about the masses. i started to talk about them (the masses) cos i went university, and we got taught that we where smarter than the masses, when really we could just put some ideas into an already established framework, one thats pretty rigid and oppressers all others, like those seemingly uneducated types. some one whose really smart can move past this and talk to all people about these issues, almost all people i have meet from a range of educational/class/racial places have ideas on these subjects, they are influenced by the media and politicans, but they're also influenced by friends work mates and the like. i think friends/work mates have a far greater determining factor on an individuals thoughts on the matter than how a particular media source directs a story to suit corprate/govt. interests.its within these small sub-cultures that particular ways of veiwing things is established. it changes with each group of people depending on position/type of work/education/religious belief and any other factor that seperate people from each other.these cultures will change very slowly. even if you change the media stories and content all groups of people will read the stories according to there already established mindsets.this said, i do think the media can to a large extent dictate what are the issues discussed by people at large, but that doesn't mean there aren't other discussions and ideas floating around.

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3009
Posted:Yeah, that sounds true to me.A lot of what people talk about is the headlines. So if a paper, and tabloids do this all the time, take a stance on a sotry and label people or issues to make it read easier or get more of a reaction then that'll affect how many sides of a story they hear, mainly only one.People's friends do play a part of how they think. The people I know affect who I am and how I think and see things. Pushing a greater mass is that much harder.And when I refer to the 99% of people who make up the masses of the world, I include myself in that. I don't consider myself that different, I just like to think I ask more questions, pay more attention and hopefully change what I don't like.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:
Total posts: 2905
Posted:Atlast someone with a temper like me!!!Thank you thank you I have not laughed that hard in like 2 weeks. You know I am 20 as well, and I still do more before you wake up than you will do all day. Enjoy your college class ohh hard getting up at 8 am. Life must be a bitch for you. I had better watch my mouth around you, you might do somthing harsh like start a picket line!!!! </sarcasim>Can anyone tell me what an order is? To answer a very harsh question. My orders to go to Afganistan have not come in. The second they do I will grab my M16 and my M9 9mm and join the mellee.Ohh ya and your knowlege of nature astounds me!!Basicly what I was saying with the damned if you do damned if you dont was actually something simple. Alot of the world gets angry when America steps in and then when we dont we are seen as deserting the world and we only care about own crap. I do my job day in and day out. Orders dictate where I go and what I do. If you think for one minute that I am not walking my talk then why dont you strap on your boots and come join me for a week. Why dont you try my job. See the responsibility that I have placed on my 20 year old shoulders. I absolutly love it no bull I love my job.Ohh and by the way I just got done with a 6 month deployment. Did we go to Afganistan? Nope. Hell what do you want me to do, steal a jet and fly over there just to throw some rounds down rang? hehe You have a twisted sence of reality.Itsgottab you are semi right in what you said, but you are absolutly right on my stand. I love my country and my countrymen. I would die for everyone of them. Even though some would spit in my face.Lunatic without order there is chaos. Some laws are just stupid I agree totaly but some are there for our own protection (drinking and driving for example). The populous needs a degree of controle otherwise there would be many many people getting murderd raped etc.Dom, I view murder as a sin and killing as an unfortunate part of life. Thats just me being blunt nothing more so if you still feel a need to bust my balls over it go ahead.I still cant get over XTREMRAVR's post. I am... it just puts a smile on my face thats all. That everything I have said has come true in one man. Check it out. The damned if you do damned if you dont thing again. He was so pissed off that he basicly damned me for not being in Afganistan and did it without knowing all the facts.In some areas I am damn smarter than anyone else on this board and in others I am probably the dumbest but you know what? That doesnt offend me. It doesnt make me think higher or lower of myself. My ego is can not be put in check because someones knowlege is better than mine in any particuler area.I must thank you all for an enjoyable morning and I hope to do it again sometime. Chow[This message has been edited by Raymund Phule (edited 03 April 2002).]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

toneman

Total posts: 195
Posted:Ray, I have to admit, I kinda look at you as a bouncer at a club. You don't care about the people that are in it... you are paid to do whatever they tell you. You like your job, you like the power, knowing that you could kick anyone out whenever you want, and occasionally you do. You don't care what's going on, cause you're just looking for people who don't play by the rules, and kick them out. So what happens when the police come to your club, and arrest your ass for being a part of a drug ring? You weren't selling drugs, but you were involved. If only you would have looked around you to see what was really going on, and not so caught up in throwing people out and just doing your job, you wouldn't be in this mess....

Enter a "Title" here:
Posted:Toneman, I kinda understand where you are going but I find myself cought up on the legality of a cop arresting me for someone in my club selling drugs. That would be like arresting both the drugy and the neighbor because the neighbor didnt call the cops. I do understand what you mean but I feel that you are incorect. Now if I really was doing my job I would be throwing out the people doing the drugs because they would be breaking the club rules. I dunno with the way clubs are now days I am suprised they let you dance! Hell they should be called indoor standing lots.

toneman

Posted:Don't go so far into the legalities, as that was not what was intended, and not designed as such. take the basic story and apply it to your situation. Kinda of like the whole parable thing. It's not the story, but the message...
Non-Https Image Link

Enter a "Title" here:
Posted:I really dont understand your parable, I mean I kinda do but some parts are a bit vauge. Now are the people in the club my countrymen or the populations of the world. And to say I dont care is well... incorect. I do care thats why I am here.

toneman

Posted:Nevermind!
Non-Https Image Link

xtremravr...was here..
Total posts: 337
Posted:lol...rofl....roflmmfao....*falls out of chair laughing*p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

splerph
Total posts: 75
Posted:Raymund thats a hard way that you look at the world if you can say the Killing is an unfortunate part of life. If you look at it in a differnt light and someone told you that your Aunt's death in the WTC was an unfortunate part of life. I'm sure you would not see it the same way.As Dom said the bible can not be taken literally it has been rewritten many many times over the years in fact some of the bibles weren't written till 60 years after the death of Jesus (if you believe in Jesus)60 years is a long time for stories to change and mutate. However the common thread through all the bibles and gospels is a theme of peace and love for all!Btw Happy Easter every body.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

splerph
Posted:Wow I made it go onto a new pagehow exciting
Non-Https Image Link

Rozi
100 characters max...
Total posts: 2996
Posted:And the prize goes to Splerph for our 11th page!!!!
Non-Https Image Link
R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Rozi
100 characters max...
Posted:Hey Raymond.I did kinda wonder when I first started reading this post whether you were for real, or just trying to provoke. Your pain seemed very real, however, and as you calmed down & talked more rationally, I began to believe that you were attempting to make some sense of the world, and were prepared to listen a little, as well as teach. Now I seem to be wondering again whether you are in fact sincere in what you are posting.I know and deal with quite a few people who play games with provocation. The wise ones know when to lay that role aside for a time.I also know and deal with quite a few people who believe that to be strong and passionate is to shout. These people often have no respect for others naturally quieter than themselves, believing that they either have nothing to say, or that they cannot be that passionate about their beliefs. They have respect only for those that they view as more forceful than themselves.At the same time we are talking in circles here, and each of us plays a role in doing it. Someone gets Raymond annoyed, he responds, they get annoyed, others try & calm it down. Then Raymond annoys someone, they respond, and others try & calm it down. Not much gets done. So lets move it to another stage. Each of you, what are you going to do, or are you currently doing, to address any of the issues you talked about in this thread? It can be tiny, like talking about it with your friends. Or it could be something big.I am at a cross-roads point in my life right now, anyhow. So when I think about this, I am also thinking about how I am going to go about re-shaping my life. One of the things I am looking into is voluntary work with organisations who support refuges. I am looking at other things as well.What about you? Will this discussion make you go out & do anything (no matter what)? Or are you already doing something about those things you feel passionate about?R.

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:She's already won the C@ntus Prize for most interesting name. How many more will she win i wonder......

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Katinca
Katinca

See my vest.... see my vest...
Total posts: 693
Posted:why is her name interesting?------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

splerph
Posted:Woohoo two prizes.
Non-Https Image Link
Now I'd like to thank.... just kidding.Thanks Cantus!

Rozi
100 characters max...
Posted:Ahhh Katinca & Splerph, now you are just filling space, so that you can win the prize for the 12th page!!!
Non-Https Image Link
R.[This message has been edited by Rozi (edited 03 April 2002).]

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Nah, he's just clocking up to his 2000th post!

Enter a "Title" here:
Posted:Actually I view my Aunts death as murder, but people dieing in car wrecks, OD's, cancer I few deaths to things like that as an unfortuante part of life. Like I said I was being blunt, but somehow I knew that someone was going to say somthing anyway.Now Rozi, I need to know what about me you are unsure of so that I might correct you or whatever. Do you doubt that I am a Marine, well do a check on me then. I am Lance Corpral Berry, Scott P. HQ Mag 11 Armory MCAS Miramar. I do not know where you would look but I wouldnt doubt if I and everyone I worked with was somewhere on the net.Are you doubting my aunts death? Then should I post her obituary and pictures of her kids and husband?You are correct however I anoy someone or someone pisses me off. Like I said before I enjoy my temper. I guess its the adreniline rush I get from it. You are also right in saying that Raymund Phule is a role. I am not as umm how to say... flared up in real life. It actualy takes a bit more than somebody to say something stupid to get me all rild up. Raymund Phule is a pig headed egotisticle loudmouth shnook, I on the other hand am actualy rather quiet, I would wrather listen to what my friends have to say than speek. Dont get me wrong though I love to hear my own voice. As you can tell from my long winded shpeals about myslef.
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Raymund Phule (edited 04 April 2002).]

xtremravr...was here..
Total posts: 337
Posted:naaahhh ray, your not as bad as you think you are...you just know how to get a rise out of peeps on this board, ithink its actually funny thatyo get a kick out of it too...lol...getting me all worked up is no chore, asyou probably can tell...its all good ol buddy, all in fun, peace!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Rozi
100 characters max...
Posted:That does clear up a few things for me. It helps me in knowing why you are doing this. For the record, I think I would get along well with you/Scott. I find you/Raymond very frustrating to deal with & that is because our aims at the moment are opposed.

You may have guessed that I am involved in politics in my real-ish life. Right now I am finding it frustrating because the sole focus is upon competing against one another, rather than working together for a solution. My focus tends to be finding a resolution. What I try & do here on this thread is explore why people think & feel the way they do, & see if their is common ground. (I know, fairly arrogant, so feel free to point out fallacies in my arguments etc). I find it difficult when people are generating conflict, for the sake of it. That's part of the reason why I am talking fairly softly here, and not shouting my head off.

Can you set up another alias, where you/Scott gets to talk sometimes? Only joking. But I would honestly like to know what you do in the rest of your life, about these things you obviously feel passionate about. (the reply can be as simple as "I joined the military" ) I would like to know that there are people active in the world, not just involved in circular arguments.

Hope that helps you a little with where I am coming from too.

R.

s-p-l-a-t
Total posts: 383
Posted:yes lovely name indeed.. although it looks slightly familiar I can't put my finger on why...

I too thought Raymond was some sort of troll... however the arguments he may/may not have provoked are some of the most valid and rational I've seen on this subject anywhere on this web..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Katinca
Katinca

Posted:Raymund Phule = Troller

Do you purposely go out of your way to express views so aggressively and rudely that you intimidate people? Are you purposely trying to piss people off, by tearing apart some of their views with non-referenced data? Do you get your kicks out of doing this? People like you are so bad in this society if this is the case. You have to understand that they have just as much right to their own opinion as you do sir. I think you should keep that in mind.

Anyway you annoy me too much, that I choose not to participate let alone read this Topic. Which is a little depressing because there are some good points that other people who aren’t so DOMINATING make, but they are over seen and hidden because of your aggressively and over bearing monstrous approach to arguments. I don’t know if you ever got taught that arguments can be a great source to collaborate peoples information and come up with a solution or to present clearer evidence in light of a particular point. There is no right or wrong. It is merle a discussion of facts to assess views, reasons, and points and the relevant data to which that particular party has used to get their opinion on that topic. You seem to think arguing is just pure intimidation and domination. If I yell at them enough, I will beat them into submission. I am surprised people as still taking your bait and yelling back at you. Well I for one choose not too. Maybe if we were discussing something else, but not here on this topic or other topics where you demonstrate these traits as I believe they hinder progress, and upset people more then they provide a positive input.

So thank you for Bullying people out of topics. Where would the world be without Bullies (note sarcastic tone please)

Cheers,
Kate

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Itsgottab
Posted:katinca what's this about non-referenced data, are you trying to get people laughing or what. and why do you have to narrow down what an arguement or disscussion has to be. surely its what the people involved make it, not just some idealised concept some educated types have, oh i forgot where all here to solve the worlds problems, we're people and we have other needs lets not forget that.

Katinca
Katinca

Posted:

to you Mr. itsgottab-y

Just trolling myself. Figured...when in Rome?

*long boring day at work, needed some action...*

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Firefairy
Total posts: 115
Posted:Ive been following this thread throughout and it seems to me that all the subjects that have come and up, and even they way they have been discussed sometimes, all have something in common - POWER STRUGGLES. - war, religion, rape, anger, retaliation......

However, once this has been identified this gives us a basis for reform, an insight into how to put an end to war, and end to pain.

Once we have overcome the need for power, once we forget the ego and approach all things in life with love - only then we can begin to change the world.

It is an individual responsibility, to change the world we must begin with ourselves.

This may seem a simplistic and impossible approach, as a single person it would be like spitting in the sea but more and more of us are beginning to realise the way through. We will grow and multiply in numbers, and the results will bring forth a new generation. A time of peace and love. (man!

Itsgottab
Posted:yeah kacanita, you'll only talk with people on your terms, good for you. thats why you end up talking to yourself and never changing, well done goodie to shoes.

Enter a "Title" here:
Posted:Raymund Phule is a toll of sorts, but there is ryme and reason to his existance. I have a frustrating job, point blank. Any job in the military can be frustrating. Hell my MOS sends more people to the brig for stupid mistakes than any other MOS in the USMC. There is alot of pressure and responsibility. I created the fasade of Raymund to allow a way to get rid of all my frustrations and anger. Sometimes all that crap overflows onto other people.

In keeping in the true form of Ray... I enjoy peoples responses more than my posts. I get a little kick of adreniline when sombody reall just bashes me and I get all riled up. It's fun, it really is. I dont not always provoke but I would say its a good 50/50 that I provoke or are provoked. (Ok that didnt make to much sence just suck it up.

XTREMRAVR, I am still rathe pissed at you and your comments. Thats all I need to say about that.

Rozi, you're funny you really are. I understand you alittle bit more as well. Isn't finding out whats on the publics mind a big part of polotics. I mean your just doing your job.

Kate, even Ray feels alittle bullied by your post but like you said when in Rome. Maybe your need to make Raylinda or something like that.

Danile, its ok to talk to yourself but when you start asking yourself "What?" that there is a problem.

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Ray, with your argumentative nature you're a fine example of a point Rozi and FireFairy raise - most people see life as a series of power struggles, a battle to prove who's right. Only when we begin working together, and realise that often both sides are right in different ways, can we all work together for peace.

itsgottab, I fail to see your problem with Kate, unless you're being sarcastic. She made a valid and true point about people getting enjoyment from baiting each other and hence getting nowhere, then you pointlessly bait her. Hmmmm...

Enter a "Title" here:
Posted:I dont need to prove whos right, I know I am!

I do not see life as a series of power struggles, life is what you make it not what someone else makes it. If you do not want to get into a power struggle, adapt and overcome, if you can do nothing but fight fire with fire... feel free.

Page: 1...1213141516